• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Guys and gals hunting and trapping in St. Mary's county what methods do you use?

Are 22lr and 17hmr ok for these as well or is their a firearm/caliber restriction?

The DNR seasonal calendar provided little info in the way of restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Unless you are going to wait until they're scurrying along the ground, most shots you're going to have at squirrels are in tree branches. So even if it's okay, it's better to use a shotgun than a rifle.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Take a look into air guns. I can take squirrels up to 40 yards with my .22 caliber (pellets) spring piston break barrel air rifle. In Maryland, you can hunt squirrel, rabbit, fox, raccoon, opossum, skunk, coyote, Quail, Ruffed Grouse, Pheasant, Crow, Nutria, Woodchuck, Fisher and even Deer with air guns. For deer, you must use at least .40 caliber with at least 400ftlb muzzle energy. There is a huge community of air gunners and hunting with air guns is becoming very popular in the U.S. The guns are very quiet as compared to firearms and with the lower powered ones you can be far less concerned with where you are shooting. Of course, you must still shoot safely but the lightweight pellets lose velocity and power fairly quickly. For example, a typical .22LR rifle has around 100ftlbs of muzzle energy where my .22 pellet rifle with a 14.2 grain pellet has about 16ftlbs. Still plenty enough to humanely kill small animals. Took this one recently at 22 yards.

Squirrel_Chest_Shot22yds.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    private or public land.
    If you are on private, squirrels mess with deer corn. Right before sunset.
    Those tree rats can be immortal if you don't get a headshot. They can go down, but not out for the count.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Elms Wildlife managment area is almost in my back yard so i will start there.
    I will now have to do research on high powered air rifles :)

Also found out that I had to take a course or test out for a trapper permit since i didnt trap before 2007.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I have only ever hunted deer and have never got excited about small game. Thanks to the show Meat Eater I'm now obsessed with any game.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    private or public land.
    If you are on private, squirrels mess with deer corn. Right before sunset.
    Those tree rats can be immortal if you don't get a headshot. They can go down, but not out for the count.

Immortal Tree Rats! Lol

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This slows them down but I had to get out of my tree stand to stop it from getting away with my bolt and end it.
    It was trying to pop the lid off my feeder. Hour later a young buck showed up.
    f7bd2eea8f971d88285b593087ce278b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    This slows them down but I had to get out of my tree stand to stop it from getting away with my bolt and end it.
    It was trying to pop the lid off my feeder. Hour later a young buck showed up.
    f7bd2eea8f971d88285b593087ce278b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrel kabob anyone?

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Take a look into air guns. I can take squirrels up to 40 yards with my .22 caliber (pellets) spring piston break barrel air rifle. In Maryland, you can hunt squirrel, rabbit, fox, raccoon, opossum, skunk, coyote, Quail, Ruffed Grouse, Pheasant, Crow, Nutria, Woodchuck, Fisher and even Deer with air guns. For deer, you must use at least .40 caliber with at least 400ftlb muzzle energy. There is a huge community of air gunners and hunting with air guns is becoming very popular in the U.S. The guns are very quiet as compared to firearms and with the lower powered ones you can be far less concerned with where you are shooting. Of course, you must still shoot safely but the lightweight pellets lose velocity and power fairly quickly. For example, a typical .22LR rifle has around 100ftlbs of muzzle energy where my .22 pellet rifle with a 14.2 grain pellet has about 16ftlbs. Still plenty enough to humanely kill small animals. Took this one recently at 22 yards.

Looking at a Benjamin Marauder now. They seem to be a nicer air soft rifle to hunt with based on forums.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    These are not airsoft guns. The Marauder is a very nice gun but it's a pcp type. Pre-charged pneumatic and requires an external air source to charge them. A special hand pump can be used but is a lot of work. The most common way is to use a scuba tank or other approved tank that you can get charged at a scuba shop for a fee. A typical home compressor will not work. A pcp is a step up from spring or gas piston, pump action and co2 air guns.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Nice setup. What maker for rifle and scope? Can I ask what cost for what you have shown (not including squirrel)?

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    The gun is an RWS Diana 34, runs about $300 and the scope is a Leapers UTG 3-9X40 1" Hunter, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, runs about $100 The scope mount was $15 and the scope rings were $47. The scope comes with rings but spring piston guns are hard on scopes due to forward recoil and the stock rings were not doing a good enough job of preventing the scope from creaping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom