• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    With it being a month away from hunting and it being hot out. What has everyone found over the years to be the best way to stay cool on hot hunts.

long sleeve, short sleeve, base layer and a top layer or just a short sleeve...

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I usually stay cool when I'm sitting, the minute I shoot something every pore of my body sweats. Horrible

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    When I used to hunt(deer) the early season, I carried all my cloths to the stand. I took my sweet ol' time getting there preferring cloudy days over bright sunny days. Scent control is critical as well as hunting the wind. I no longer deer hunt the early season. Too much chance bumping a good deer. I don't start my bow season til middle-late October any more.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    I use long sleeve t-shirts and light pants. I tend to only hunt evenings and I'm in the shade. I don't walk too far to get to my stand and I take my time climbing the tree. Once you're up there it isn't so bad. You start sweating when you're dragging the deer out and trying to process in the heat.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd have a camo jacket, camo pants, camo button-down shirt and last a camo long sleeve tee. I take off as needed through the day.

Take plenty of water too.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    mesh ASAT camo suit with what ever I feel like wearing under it usually shorts and a tshirt

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Light pair of pants and a long sleeve Underarmour type shirt with another one of the same material under it. Try to stay as cool as possible by hunting a bit later/earlier.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    "Savanna Wear" is good stuff, but i don't put it on til i get to my tree. Avoid cotton. It may be light, but it promotes sweating and that's no bueno.

Also, carry a small spray bottle of scent killer in your pack(I do this all season long), once you get to or up in your stand, give yourself a complete spray down...drench yourself. It will help cool you off as well as cut your scent.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    "Savanna Wear" is good stuff, but i don't put it on til i get to my tree. Avoid cotton. It may be light, but it promotes sweating and that's no bueno.

Also, carry a small spray bottle of scent killer in your pack(I do this all season long), once you get to or up in your stand, give yourself a complete spray down...drench yourself. It will help cool you of as well as cut your scent.

+1 on the scent killer. I did this exact thing last year and had a doe came literally within 3 yards of the blind I was in with no clue I was there. Spray lots, spray often if you sweat a lot.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Typically if it is REALLY hot I'll stay home. Summer coyote hunting is REALLY bad on the plains because of the sun. I wear an under armor material camo shirt and some thin carhaart rip stop pants that are kinda earth toned. LOTS of water in a camelback and a hoo rag. If in an area with trees and cover, shade. :) Sometimes you just gotta embrace the suck.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    When I used to hunt(deer) the early season, I carried all my cloths to the stand. I took my sweet ol' time getting there preferring cloudy days over bright sunny days. Scent control is critical as well as hunting the wind. I no longer deer hunt the early season. Too much chance bumping a good deer. I don't start my bow season til middle-late October any more.

That must have been awkward walking to the stand in your underwear. I dont think I am prepared for that

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Typically if it is REALLY hot I'll stay home. Summer coyote hunting is REALLY bad on the plains because of the sun. I wear an under armor material camo shirt and some thin carhaart rip stop pants that are kinda earth toned. LOTS of water in a camelback and a hoo rag. If in an area with trees and cover, shade. :) Sometimes you just gotta embrace the suck.

Prease exprain "hoo rag" prease. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom