• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    So I'm new to the hunting world (Completed the hunters safety course this past weekend) and I'm also in the market for a new house. (House hunting sucks).

Here's the question - How much land is needed to legally and safely (and curtiously with out pissing off your neighbors) hunt on your property with a bow? I've been trying out my bing-foo and having little luck locating regulations, etc. I've got the permitting thing down and understood.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Matt

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    depending on location. certain distance from dwelllings/buildings etc. whats your property backed to? what if the game got out of your property.. how you going to retrieve it from neighbors?

few question you need to ask.. ;)

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    few question you need to ask.. ;)

Those are the questions that I am asking but being new, didn't know what specifically to ask.

Who do I ask those questions to - my neighbors - "Hey, If I get a deer in my yard with a bow, and it enters your yard, can I retreive it?"

Can you post the regs for Montgomery County (yuck).

-Matt

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Probably the best answer is if you have to ask you dont have enough land.

Also certain area's, even with a lot of land, it might be prohibited of discharging a firearm.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    am pretty sure it is 150 yards from a dwelling. It should be on the DNR's website.

It would be now hunting, so the firearm laws need not apply (unless I'm seriously missing something). Does the 150yds apply to bow?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I am pretty sure it is 150yds from a dwelling not your own. It is good to consult with your neighbors ahead of time about game retrieval etc. You have to choose carefully because the wrong neighbors can ruin anything.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I am pretty sure it is 150yds from a dwelling not your own. It is good to consult with your neighbors ahead of time about game retrieval etc. You have to choose carefully because the wrong neighbors can ruin anything.

Your right... but if you have permission, your fine.

Last sentence under the inroducition...

Introduction
    Maryland's history and tradition of waterfowl hunting is as rich as any in the nation. No article on the early days of waterfowling is complete without mention of the Chesapeake region and places such as the Susquehanna Flats. The Maryland General Assembly passed the first state law concerning waterfowl hunting in 1833. Since then, numerous state laws and regulations have been passed to address hunting on the public waters of the state, often referred to as “offshore”.

Unfortunately, many of these rules are difficult to interpret or even find, particularly if you are new to the state. The purpose of this summary is to provide a reference for landowners, waterfowl hunters and other interested citizens regarding the laws related to licensing offshore blinds and shoreline. If you have questions, please contact the Wildlife and Heritage Service at 410-260-8540. We also provide references to the specific laws governing these activities in Appendix 1.

We are frequently asked by riparian landowners, not desiring to establish an offshore hunting site, why do I have to license my shoreline to prevent others from establishing an offshore blind site off my property? To briefly explain the purpose of offshore blind and shoreline licensing, it is based on the fact that the “waters of the State”, those areas below mean high tide, are owned by the State and not the riparian landowner. State law establishes a series of protocols for the licensing of offshore blinds in the waters of the State. Riparian (i.e. waterfront) property owners are given the first right to license their shoreline and hence, preclude other Maryland residents from establishing blind sites out from their property. Additionally, only riparian landowners (or persons with the permission of riparian landowners) may establish stationary blinds (permanent offshore structures). This system gives riparian landowners the ability to control activity in public waters, a right they lack for any other recreational pursuit. If landowners do not license their shoreline by June 1st each year, any Maryland resident may potentially establish a blind site off their property if certain distance requirements are met. In all cases, hunting may not take place within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling without the permission of the dwelling’s occupants.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Licenses/riparian.asp

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

^this.. and being in moco.. thats a totally different monster.. us somd peeps can get away with few things by just talking to neighbors.. not so much w/ moco. ;)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    ^this.. and being in moco.. thats a totally different monster.. us somd peeps can get away with few things by just talking to neighbors.. not so much w/ moco. ;)

This is true. My neighbors are cool with Gatlings and beltfeds. I have a couple of deerstands on the back 5, dual clay throwers on the back deck, swinging and hanging targets in the woods, 15&25yd ranges in the yard. We don't plan to fail we fail to plan!

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    This is true. My neighbors are cool with Gatlings and beltfeds. I have a couple of deerstands on the back 5, dual clay throwers on the back deck, swinging and hanging targets in the woods, 15&25yd ranges in the yard. We don't plan to fail we fail to plan!

You looking for a neighbor or renter? Ha!

Thanks to everyone replying - I've got a place to start.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you are in a pretty populated or suburban area, bow or crossbow is probably the way to go just for the lack of noise.

I would recommend approaching your neighbors dressed relatively nice, dockers, collared shirt, nice shoes, hair combed, etc. Kind of think of it as a job interview. You have to convince them to let you onto their property.

Maybe type up a agreement that you will not hold them liable if you are hurt, tell them that you will be donating deer to the local foodbank/hunters for the hungry. If you are in an area that is overpopulated, explain to them about deer/car collisions and lymes disease.

Explain to them that you will be as low impact aas possible, you wont drive your truck through their yard to retrieve your deer and won't leave a gutpile at the end of their lawn.

With the right location, surburban hunting can be very productive and not require alot of land.

Good luck!!!!

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    So I'm new to the hunting world (Completed the hunters safety course this past weekend) and I'm also in the market for a new house. (House hunting sucks).

Here's the question - How much land is needed to legally and safely (and curtiously with out pissing off your neighbors) hunt on your property with a bow? I've been trying out my bing-foo and having little luck locating regulations, etc. I've got the permitting thing down and understood.

-Matt

Land for Hunting?? As much as your wallet can stand!!

R

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If you are in a pretty populated or suburban area, bow or crossbow is probably the way to go just for the lack of noise.

I would recommend approaching your neighbors dressed relatively nice, dockers, collared shirt, nice shoes, hair combed, etc. Kind of think of it as a job interview. You have to convince them to let you onto their property.

Maybe type up a agreement that you will not hold them liable if you are hurt, tell them that you will be donating deer to the local foodbank/hunters for the hungry. If you are in an area that is overpopulated, explain to them about deer/car collisions and lymes disease.

Explain to them that you will be as low impact aas possible, you wont drive your truck through their yard to retrieve your deer and won't leave a gutpile at the end of their lawn.

With the right location, surburban hunting can be very productive and not require alot of land.

Good luck!!!!

Good post

I hunt in my backyard with a crossbow. Frederick County only requires 50 yards though, so my neighbors are not involved at all. However they all know I hunt back there and fully support it. A couple pounds of deer burger goes a long way to keep people happy too.

The one thing I learned was to loose my compound bow and go with a cross bow with a red dot. I simply cant commit the time to practicing with a compound bow so I switched over to a cross bow. The cross bow combined with quality broad heads keeps the deer out of my neighbors yards.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    like others said...asking permission from adjoining neighbors is always the right thing to do...but really only need about 50yds at most...I hunt on a neighbors land and thats about all I had...I put up deer feeders and they came in...I did ask one neighbor if it was ok if I shot one to track it and pull it off his property he said thanks for asking and no problems! most of mine didnt run more than 60yds from where they got shot...If you use the right broadhead and shot placement they dont go far...I'm particular to rage 2 blade broadhead..

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    It varies by county, as some have mentioned MoCo is 150 yards or you need permission from an occupied building, some other counties are less.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Anyone shows up looking like that in my neighborhood it's a sure bet they are peddling their particular religion and their knocks go unanswered.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

-Matt

DNR says 150 yards to another house. Your own does not count.

Also...you do not require a permit, hunter's course or any class to hunt your own property. This includes land that abutts Virginia. You do have to follow seasonal closures and other regulations (unless you are "farming" animals in pens, but that's a whole other issue).

Essentially, the state cannot (by way of our Constitution) charge a landowner fees to hunt their own land. This also applies to direct relations living with you (kids, parents, etc.). They request that you report your "take" to them. All persons not directly related to you must have all the normal licenses and permits to hunt your property.

You can thank King George for this. He was a Royal ******* and both Virginian and Maryland still live within the bounds of his legacy.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks for the replies everyone- the 150yards- I'm guessing that's in all directions.

For example I'm sitting in the center of my deck, shooting north. I have a house to the east, say 75 yards. There is a house road to the west say 75 yards, and a house say 250 yards north.

As I understand the reg, I can not hunt in the direction of the north because direction does not matter. However I am able to get permission from my neighbor to the east, to be able to hunt, and thus would be legal. I would not need to contact my neighbor to the north (I would regardless) to be legal. Would this be an accurate statement, it is how I understand it.

Last question- does bow vs firearm make a difference? (I'd imagine to neighbors, it would)

(This series of questions assumes that I've already gotten permission to retrieve any killed/injured game from their yards, otherwise it's a non-issue regardless and I'll be hunting else where.)

Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom