• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Today I made a custom hunting holster for my bud. He recently purchased a Magnum Research 45/70 BFR Revolver. He purchased it from a private party as the guy did not like it as he did not like the recoil. He has a Marlin 45/70 lever action so it made sense to him to get a pistol in the same caliber.

I used my 50 caliber S&W as a pattern as the frame and cylinder on the 45/70 are basically the same. Custom made it for a 2 inch belt, no leg string like the western styles and a strap to hold the pistol on the holster instead of a rawhide loop.

Attachments

• Hunter Holster.jpg
      Hunter Holster.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 239

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    He is a lefty, I prefer left hand also but have both LH/RH holsters as I can shoot RH with the same accuracy. Some times I wear my LH holster on the right side and do a reach across.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Take the pistol and wrap it in a plastic bag(If you're afraid of it getting wet). Put pistol in the holster. Then submerge it into very warm water. Let soak until it's pretty much "Pliable". Take it out and then "Bone it". Massage and press it into all the nooks and crannies of the pistol to give it that form fitting, custom look(and solid fit).
    You could probably soften the leather up without the pistol in the water, but I've never done it that way. Put unbagged pistol into warm holster and bone it from there.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Take the pistol and wrap it in a plastic bag(If you're afraid of it getting wet). Put pistol in the holster. Then submerge it into very warm water. Let soak until it's pretty much "Pliable". Take it out and then "Bone it". Massage and press it into all the nooks and crannies of the pistol to give it that form fitting, custom look(and solid fit).
    You could probably soften the leather up without the pistol in the water, but I've never done it that way. Put unbagged pistol into warm holster and bone it from there.

That is only if you are form fitting the holster to standard tanned leather. I used pre oiled leather have a whole side it is already soft and pliable no wetting required.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That is only if you are form fitting the holster to standard tanned leather. I used pre oiled leather have a whole side it is already soft and pliable no wetting required.
    Ok. I guess you don't know what "boning" is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Ok. I guess you don't know what "boning" is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yes I do but it does not work well on oil tanned leather, where the entire hide was made pliable with an oil infusion. You can wet it all you want but the boning does not take well. Here is a western holster I did

Attachments

• 20201210_123706.jpg
      20201210_123706.jpg
      102.8 KB · Views: 133

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads