• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I had been using a mathews feathermax bow. It has been great with many kills until a limb cracked this past weekend when I drew on a doe. So now I'm in the market for some newer technology. I'm probably looking for something in the $300-$700 range. I dont really need a ready to shoot package as I can pull parts off my old bow. So any suggestions on brands and models I should look into? I'm a lefty so that probably narrows the choices some.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a Hoyt Charger and it's been great. I paid $600 (including stabilizer, quiver, peep sight, and a cheap bow sight).

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I had been using a mathews feathermax bow. It has been great with many kills until a limb cracked this past weekend when I drew on a doe. So now I'm in the market for some newer technology. I'm probably looking for something in the $300-$700 range. I dont really need a ready to shoot package as I can pull parts off my old bow. So any suggestions on brands and models I should look into? I'm a lefty so that probably narrows the choices some.

it should be under warranty
    http://mathewsinc.com/customer-support/warranty/

that said, ive always like PSE

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    It's a 10+ year old bow, and I'm not the orginal owner so the mathews limited lifetime warrenty doesn't appear to apply.

My backup bow I'm currently using is a pse.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Like car manufacturers and football teams, everybody has their own preferences for their own reasons. There are a lot of companies making great bows in your price range. I know this won't answer your question, but I'll be that guy, best bet is to shoot as many bows as you can at a reputable shop and choose what feels best to you. Good luck!

Oh, and don't forget to tell us what you get so we can all say you should have went with X, Y, or Z bows... ;):lol2:

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Go to a archery pro shop and tell them you are looking for a bow. Tell them what your looking for in a bow and they will set a couple up for you to shoot and see what feels best to you. There is a pro shop just over the bridge in glen burnie called macrotech. Give them a call first to see if they can and what time is best cause right now is any bow shops busiest time of year.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Go to a archery pro shop and tell them you are looking for a bow. Tell them what your looking for in a bow and they will set a couple up for you to shoot and see what feels best to you. There is a pro shop just over the bridge in glen burnie called macrotech. Give them a call first to see if they can and what time is best cause right now is any bow shops busiest time of year.

:thumbsup:
    I just bought my first bow at Bowtech. I definitely recommend a visit if you've never been there. Len and Cory were good to work with.

I chose a Bowtech Fuel, which has an enormous range of weight and draw adjustability, so if I take to it and upgrade in the future, it can be easily transitioned to one of my kids.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Look at Mission. Made by Mathews. Friend has one,its a very nice bow. Right at your price point. Bear would be nice too. Go to a good shop.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    It's a little bit of a drive, but you may want to take a trip to Lancaster Archery Supply. They have a huge selection of bows usually in stock and excellent customer service. If you go try to go during the week and get there early since they are swamped this time of year.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I also have Mission bow from a couple years ago. I really liked an Elite bow at the time, but the Mission was chosen based on feel and price. I'll easily drive an hour out of my way to give a decent shop my business, instead of taking my chances with what side of the bed Len got out on at Macrotech down the street.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    Nope, I have no desire for getting into those. Compunds only, though I am thinking of add recurve to my skill set.

I have a custom Zipper Zip Stick longbow, 62" 45# @ 28" $300 (Quiver not included).
    Light, smooth quiet and no hand shock.
    35n3dd1.jpg
    [/IMG]

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Bowhunters den is a great place here in Carroll county. They carry a lot of used bows as well. Have a range you can try them out on. They will make sure it is sized and adjusted to your liking.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I know I'll start a poop storm..but..just check most LBS hours. This time of year open hours can be weird. I guess it b/c most have other jobs. Every time I've gone there (BH den) its closed. Marchios in Hanover PA is a great shop.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Another Mission bow owner here...Its the eliminator II and its been good for me for the past 5 seasons...I and it just killed an elk last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom