• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    I have a hunting trip planned not too far from now. I've never hunted or prepared a deer, which is part of the reason for this hunting trip. The guy taking me suggested I buy a knife for the prepping, but I want to get a fixed blade tactical knife so it will be useful for more then just hunting with. Something with a 4-6 inch blade maybe?

Can anyone weigh in on this? Is it necessary to get a knife strictly for hunting?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you are too tacticool, the other hunters will laugh at you ;)

You can get a good folder, so you can use it everyday.

The only requirements for a hunting blade are: the blade should be sharp and hold an edge.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    What kind of deer hunting trip are you going on? Is this a hunt where you are hiking in to an area and camping? If so, a larger knife may be useful for camp chores, etc.. That said, I don't recommend a large knife for gutting a deer.

Get a small knife with a relatively narrow blade profile with a 3-4"blade made from quality steel that holds an edge. I like this type of knive for gutting because the first thing I do is cut around the anus and as far back as I can. Once you open up the abdomen and chest, you do the same from the inside. This way, when you cut the membrane away from the inside of the deer, the whole gut pile will come out in one piece. Think of a surgeon using a scalpel.

You will get a much cleaner job with a small knive, and it is easier to handle. You can use a larger knive for opening up the chest, but I have no problem using a smaller one if I have to. I typically use a folder for this job, but you have to clean it up shortly after use to get all the blood and fat out. If you don't, it will gum up the folder. I've been on the hunt for a good fixed blade so I don't have to worry about this issue. I've been using a couple of Benchmade plastic-bodied Pika folders and they've been good....and they were cheap.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County

Something like this - you'll want a gut-hook to "unzip" the hide; you do not want it to be part of your primary knife (pain sharpening, dangerous, weakened blade, etc).

A smaller fixed blade is better for skinning - you probably don't want to deal with disassembling, cleaning, drying, and reassembling a folder. It doesn't have to be huge (you'll be more likely to pierce the hide), as you're only cutting the connective tissue between the muscle/skin (or muscle/fat/skin). Generally a cheap $20 skinning knife is your best bang for your buck.

Gloves and a disposable apron would also be a good investment.

And don't cut open the gut/intestines/anus. Good luck :thumbsup:

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville

Attachments

• canvas.jpg
      canvas.jpg
      17.9 KB · Views: 266

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    +1 on using a smaller fixed blade. Gut hooks are nice but you don't need one if you use your fingers to guide the knife under the skin when opening up the cavity. Here is a good video I found on a quick search.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU

Yes you will get made fun of if you bring out some sort of bayonet. If that is all you have, then fine. The size of those big knives just gets in the way. I don't recommend a folder because the knife will get gunked up with hair, fat and blood. Folders have been a bit of a chore to clean. I went with this S30V blade with bone handles.
    I don't use the knife for anything but field dressing and skinning out. I use separate butcher knives for processing. I think this helps prevent contamination of bacteria but this might be just me being a bit too particular. I definitely don't use my skinning and butchering knives for any food preparation. If you are camping use a different knife for food chores. I might not bring lots of knives if I were on some sort of backcountry, Montana hunting trip. This is Maryland, where I usually hear road noise where I hunt.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Any decent 3-4 inch folder or fixed. I have used Gerber and Buck drop point folders. I like a drop point, less chance of accidently poking the pouch. Anything else can be a help or hinderance, depending on your skill or lackof.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    If the fixed blade is going to be used a lot, you may like a model with slightly better than entry steel. There are a lot of options. Benchmade's Red Class fixed blades are really popular for this (if you can find them)...the Bone Collector models if you want to spend a little more (in return you get a better handle, ergos, and D2 tool steel which is hella serious steel)...I mention them as I've handled them...there are tons of good options.
    http://www.knifehog.com/p-1271-benc...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKyu4eiL3rgCFcue4AodcUUAkw

If you want low-cost, high-quality Kershaw makes a hunting knife line available in a blem for under 30 bucks...I own the one in the first link in the orange version and it is excellent for the price. New they aren't much more.
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw-blems/1080-skinner-fixed-blade-wsheath-blem/
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page...-orange-field-knife-fixed-blade-wsheath-blem/
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw-new/1084or-fixed-blade-skyline/

A fixed blade is nice to have for outdoors stuff, but it's limited for daily usage. A larger folder is something many people settle on, and if the knife has a simple lock like the Reeve Integral Lock (AKA Frame Lock), it's easy to clean when covered in blood, and the user can easily take it apart via a detail strip and service it in the time it takes to smoke a cig. So that may be of interest. An example of a fixed blade replacement that can hold up to all the use and abuse a FB will get is the larger ZT Hinderer models with blades approaching 4 inches.
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zt-blems/zt0561-hinderer-blem/

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    So, hunting for your first time. Good luck.

You've gotten some good advice.

My personal preference is a longer grip and short, stout, sharp blade.

By way of a heads up...lots of adrenaline accompanies a successful harvest. When you have the deer down, don't be in a hurry. Give it time to pass. Then be deliberate in your task of gutting. Between the added adrenaline and the blood (which is fairly slippery/greasy to the uninitiated), and the tight spaces where you "work by braille" (windpipe), you've got a recipe for a decent nick or cut on yourself. If you do, clean it well at your first opportunity.

It's nothing to sweat, so just take your time. No need to hurry. Likely you'll have someone encouraging and directing. Just as likely, you'll have someone giving you sh1t . Just so ya know what to expect.

Best of luck. If you stick with it, you'll improve both your knowledge and technique. Enjoy.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I would think about a esse Izulla II a small fixed blade that you can control and hopefully not cut yourself or anything you don't want cut. The sheaths they come with suck have a nice kydex made.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Again congradulations on your upcoming sporting adventures.

The Wyoming knife is a pure game processing tool.

*I think I am hearing* that you are wishing to avail yourself of knife(s) that would be well suited for your hunting trip , not cause you ridicule in deer camp , yet still be useful for general usage the rest of the year. Modern era tacticool at the same time is probably too much of a streatch. For a retro military vibe , somthing like an M3 combat knife wouldn't be totally rediculous in the woods.

But anyway , I'll kick out a cpl of designs that are time tested , and popular in diverse roles.

In a fixed blade , a Sharpfinger .designed as a skinner , cought on as a small general purpose knife , and the closest thing to a socially acceptable every day carry fixed blade.

For a heavy duty folding knife suitable for hunting , easy to carry in belt sheath , and marginally able to pocket carry, the entire concept was invented by Buck in 1963 with their Folding Hunter aka M110 . Its little brother ( about .75 shorter closed ) is the Ranger aka M112 .

You'll blend in with even a camp full of (now) Old Farts , but also popular as general duty knife even for those who never hunt.

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    I like this for larger animals - Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter - good price, holds a decent edge, sharpens easily - http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pendleton-Hunter-Handle/dp/B00322NAE6

I like this for smaller animals (rabbit, squirrel, birds) - Gerber LST - good price and holds an ok edge and if I chip the blade cutting thru bone, I'm not all busted up about it. I also have a Ka-Bar Dozier that I like to use on smaller game.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-06050-Ultra-light-Folding/dp/B00004WA4R/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom