• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And it is even more confusing in some places like Patuxent park, where high voltage lines run along the edge of the park for a good long distance, but the park itself is definitely posted only in the tree line. I wouldn't hunt those power lines, but I certainly use them for access and based on the trails running along them, plenty of hunters and horse riders (seen a few of both too) use them for access. Heck, I've found plenty of #8, 7.5 and 6 shells laying on of off the paths along the power lines there. A couple of empty slug hulls too...

Long time ago(43 years), I dove hunted that power line.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Long time ago(43 years), I dove hunted that power line.

I may have found some of your #8s in the thick stuff :-)

I've gotta say, if you've got rip proof and thorn proof pants, it is great stuff for bunnies and doves.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    So the growth is THICK under these lines. I'm assuming it's owned by the power company, but I won't know until we get further along. We might be putting in an offer tomorrow if we decide to pull the trigger. It's at the top of our budget and the inside needs to be painted, top to bottom. The previous owner liked a lot of color and stencils. If that's not bad enough, textured ceilings and a couple of walls, which the fiance HATES

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You're a bad shot then.. ;)

Farthest drop/tracking for me was 200 yards..

Nope. Cyborg deer. Broadside shot with ML(stopped him in my shooting lane at 35 yds.), Squeezed the trigger, deer took off leaving a blood trail through the first field 3-4 feet wide in the snow. By the time I followed to the 3rd field, I found 2 tiny drops of blood in the tall grass. That was it. I searched the rest of the day without any luck. Only deer I ever shot with that gun and lost. Cyborg deer.:o

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Nope. Cyborg deer. Broadside shot with ML(stopped him in my shooting lane at 35 yds.), Squeezed the trigger, deer took off leaving a blood trail through the first field 3-4 feet wide in the snow. By the time I followed to the 3rd field, I found 2 tiny drops of blood in the tall grass. That was it. I searched the rest of the day without any luck. Only deer I ever shot with that gun and lost. Cyborg deer.:o

:lol2:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    might just be easier to see if you look at the plot via redfin: https://www.redfin.com/MD/Woodbine/6550-Rolynn-Dr-21797/home/14448202 I'd love if the land under the lines would be mine, but I don't think that's the case.

Probably not. The real meat and potatoes is in the deed for that piece of land under the powerline. Look up who owns the parcel on sdat. Then sign up for an account on https://mdlandrec.net/main/ and look through all the instruments filed for a particular piece of land (that's where you can also see what your seller owes on the property ;-) ) . It is possible that the right to farm and control access under that powerline was ceded to the adjoining property owner at the time the utility purchased/stole that land (that right to farm survives subdivision of a parcel).

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Well it's a moot point now. We've decided to save money for 6-9 months by moving into my mother's spare apartment. It's the prudent move with our wedding coming up next year and also saving for a new house, but it's a tough pill to swallow

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well it's a moot point now. We've decided to save money for 6-9 months by moving into my mother's spare apartment. It's the prudent move with our wedding coming up next year and also saving for a new house, but it's a tough pill to swallow

Sorry to hear that. Hunting property is hard to come by. Hopefully you won't regret passing it up, but priorities are priorities.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm looking at a property that borders a high voltage power line. Assuming I shoot a deer on my property but it runs out under the lines, do I need to get BGE permission or notify to go get it?

The answer is YES, especially if the property is posted. I had to represent a client for this very same issue. He shot a nice buck on a property he owned and it ran underneath the power lines and expired. He was charged with trespassing. Got a PBJ in exchange for a couple hours of community service. He was caught red handed by the police officer that showed up to investigate the claim.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    might just be easier to see if you look at the plot via redfin: https://www.redfin.com/MD/Woodbine/6550-Rolynn-Dr-21797/home/14448202 I'd love if the land under the lines would be mine, but I don't think that's the case.

The land under the lines is owned by BG&E. Take a look at these attachments. It should be somewhat clear that BG&E owns the property.

Still a nice house. One that I would buy in a heartbeat if it had more land, high voltage power lines were not in the backyard, and my kids, wife, and I were not already attached to a school system. Very nice that there is no HOA.

I need to stop doing this to myself. Just found this house in Carroll County in Marriotsville by looking at your link and I am crying.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Marriottsville/1982-Barley-Rd-21104/home/14444984

lol - I just tried to attach tif files of the plats of the property that you are looking at so you can see the property behind (i.e., north of the one you are looking at) is owned by BG&, but a tif file is invalid. Don't feel like doing the work to save them as jpegs. If you are interested in seeing the plats, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address in it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sorry to hear that. Hunting property is hard to come by. Hopefully you won't regret passing it up, but priorities are priorities.

It wouldn't be so easy for him to hunt there. He would most likely need written permission from his neighbors to shoot there. He is in a development with houses around him and being 150 yards away from a dwelling would have been somewhat tough.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Nah, that is the best thing you can do. We bought a townhouse instead of a large house when we got engaged and doing that 11 years ago has left a lot of doors open for us. It allowed us to save a good amount of money and actually move out of the townhouse after the downturn without being underwater on our mortgage. After being in the townhouse for 6 months, we were able to sell it and come out with $60k to put toward the new house. Always live within your means and more opportunities will come along. When you have money at hand, you will be able to take advantage of those opportunities.

Me, I am looking for residential rental properties at the right price and then a farm at the right price. Patience is a virtue, unless you die first. Hard work and saving are also two very good things. Good for you and your fiance.

Keep on looking at houses. It is a great motivator to save money and work hard. I keep looking at farms to motivate me and give me a reason to work as hard as I am working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom