• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    That is correct for the Online/Field day workshop.

If the child goes to a tradition hunter education class, there is no minimum age. However, the child needs to be mature enough to sit through the class(es) of 9 very long chapters, take a 50 question test (written to the 5th grade level), participate in a field walk displaying safe firearm handling skills, and conduct a lieve fire exercise.
    This. During the ‘Rona the online age limit was reduced, so my one son took it and he then did the field day.

This year my other son wanted to do it, but they changed the age back to 13 for the online test. We still had fun going to the traditional hunter’s safety class though. Even stopped for milkshakes on the drive home after every session.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Idk if they did away with it but there use to be a statement you signed, that exempted you from the safety course if you had purchased a hunting license and hunted prior to 1977. I believe it was 1977.
    When I moved here in 1979 I took the course. I suppose I could of lied, since nobody really checked, but being new to hunting I figured I’d do it the right way.

I'm in the same boat . Took the Hunter Safety circa 1974 . IF I still had the original paper certificate it would still be recognized everywhere . But of course it is long ago lost , and the host Club is also long defunct .

Yes in Maryland , Virginia , and many States , yes you can sign the Affidavit that you held a Hunting License , or Hunted while Exempt before 1977 , or similar date .

But most Managed and Special Access Hunts require actual HS Cards . I haven't recently done a 50 state survey , but there were states that were hardline about HS , at least for non residents .

Keep meaning to do the Texas Online just for the piece of paper .

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    There are also states that offer a 100% online option. I think NC is the cheapest and does not have a minimum age. It is up to you to decide if your son is a good candidate for that option.

You could also have your son take the online apprentice course and get him an apprentice license. He would have to hunt in your presence until he completes the full course, but it is an option. I would have gone that route when mine were young as they didn’t it hunt in their own until 16 or so.

You can also continue to buy him the apprentice license until he turns 17
    This is the information that I was seeking. They will hunt in my presence. Do I just purchase the apprentice hunting license? This is the confusing part that I’m not sure of. The link on the state site doesn’t work.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    This is the information that I was seeking. They will hunt in my presence. Do I just purchase the apprentice hunting license? This is the confusing part that I’m not sure of. The link on the state site doesn’t work.
    This page should have everything you need to get him started. https://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Apprentice-Hunter-License---No-DNR-ID.aspx

If he already has a dnrid skip the first section. The link to the online test is at the bottom of the page.

Once he completes the course you will need to enter the number into his certifications on his compass account to be able to purchase the apprentice license.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I'm in the same boat . Took the Hunter Safety circa 1974 . IF I still had the original paper certificate it would still be recognized everywhere . But of course it is long ago lost , and the host Club is also long defunct .

Yes in Maryland , Virginia , and many States , yes you can sign the Affidavit that you held a Hunting License , or Hunted while Exempt before 1977 , or similar date .

But most Managed and Special Access Hunts require actual HS Cards . I haven't recently done a 50 state survey , but there were states that were hardline about HS , at least for non residents .

Keep meaning to do the Texas Online just for the piece of paper .
    If you took HSC in MD,, they will send a new card.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    My son took his in person a year ago when he was 9. He got a lot out of the live session and really enjoyed. The guys at Tonoloway Rod and Gun Club that did the training were top notch. I would highly suggest in person training if you can or your schedule allows. Just my 2 cents.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Years ago I took a hunters safety course when i was around 11-12 years old. Been hunting a few times, and want to go this year. I can't find my card or know my number. Would I have to retake the hunters safety class again before I get a hunting license?
    Actually when you register with the DNR, they will ask if you hunted prior to a certain year. Don't remember what year, but it was somewhere in the 70s. If you answer yes, you are exempt from the hunters safety course.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Actually when you register with the DNR, they will ask if you hunted prior to a certain year. Don't remember what year, but it was somewhere in the 70s. If you answer yes, you are exempt from the hunters safety course.

It's really easy to see if a person is telling the truth by looking at their birth date...

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Not wanting to create another thread and having read/reread (but had trouble comprehending) the MD hunting regulations, how old do you have to be to hunt without property?
    You can’t register for the hunters Ed course until you’re 13. My sons are 12. Is it safe to assume they would hunt with me under my license?
    Sorry for the sidenote but what a clown world. Prepubescent children can go down the path of gender reassignment surgery (aka genitalia mutilation) without parental knowledge but one needs to be 13 to even take a hunter safety class. Just beyond effed up. Back on topic...I took hunter safety in PA. When i "applied" for a hunting license I (as others have noted) checked the box that I had hunted prior to some date (1977?) and a license was issued.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's come up a couple of times already .

Minimum age 13 to take the HS Online . No age restriction for the in person HS class .

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD

It's really easy to see if a person is telling the truth by looking at their birth date...
    Yeah if they were born in 1972, they probably shouldn't say yes. Honestly I dont know what birth year is the cutoff for that question. I was born in 68 and I had that question.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    You could probably get by with it going back to being born in “66” give or tak a couple years. I grew up in Michigan and know several classmates that hunted and trapped around 10-12 years old well before HSC’s.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Idk if they did away with it but there use to be a statement you signed, that exempted you from the safety course if you had purchased a hunting license and hunted prior to 1977. I believe it was 1977.
    When I moved here in 1979 I took the course. I suppose I could of lied, since nobody really checked, but being new to hunting I figured I’d do it the right way.
    I am exempt as I hunted before 1977. I actually have no way to prove it as they didnt keep records then. I never took the course but years ago remember signing a paper saying I hunted back then. Never been questioned by the DNR and have run into them many through my years of hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom