• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Years ago I took a hunters safety course when i was around 11-12 years old. Been hunting a few times, and want to go this year. I can't find my card or know my number. Would I have to retake the hunters safety class again before I get a hunting license?

I took the hunters safety course in 1975 long before they started keeping records. No one has ever asked me to prove that I took the course and I've never had to produce a card in the state of Maryland.

I've hunted in North Carolina South Carolina Mississippi California and Michigan and each one of those states required a hunter's safety course recognized by the state. Since I didn't have a card I had to take a course from somewhere in order to get one. Texas has an online hunter safety certification that is recognized by most other states. I took that course which took maybe an hour and they mailed me my card.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I thought this was going to be about how to be safe with hookers and blow.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The old man over to the club just did a course a week or more ago.
    One of the most wood smart local persons you could ever meet if you asked me.
    I don’t know if CBT provides the same experience.
    Not a lot of people showed up is my understanding.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I took the hunters safety course in 1975 long before they started keeping records. No one has ever asked me to prove that I took the course and I've never had to produce a card in the state of Maryland.

I've hunted in North Carolina South Carolina Mississippi California and Michigan and each one of those states required a hunter's safety course recognized by the state. Since I didn't have a card I had to take a course from somewhere in order to get one. Texas has an online hunter safety certification that is recognized by most other states. I took that course which took maybe an hour and they mailed me my card.
    Idk if they did away with it but there use to be a statement you signed, that exempted you from the safety course if you had purchased a hunting license and hunted prior to 1977. I believe it was 1977.
    When I moved here in 1979 I took the course. I suppose I could of lied, since nobody really checked, but being new to hunting I figured I’d do it the right way.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I see op was helped.

if anyone needs it for Delaware in the future, they do pretty well at DNREC

mid 00’s got my replacement with a call, and name change from my given nickname used as pre teen to actual legal name. Took original class in 76 iirc

pretty straightforward and they managed to do good record keeping

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Not wanting to create another thread and having read/reread (but had trouble comprehending) the MD hunting regulations, how old do you have to be to hunt without property?
    You can’t register for the hunters Ed course until you’re 13. My sons are 12. Is it safe to assume they would hunt with me under my license?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Not wanting to create another thread and having read/reread (but had trouble comprehending) the MD hunting regulations, how old do you have to be to hunt without property?
    You can’t register for the hunters Ed course until you’re 13. My sons are 12. Is it safe to assume they would hunt with me under my license?
    Has this changed? I took my HS class in 1980, when I was 12. My brother is 5 years younger and he did the same thing, 5 years later, at 12. This was Mom and Dad’s age requirement. I have friends whose kids took it far younger than that.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I've always just showed my ID but I guess I'm in the system at this point since I've had a license every year since I was 14. Too bad all the waterfowl stamps are no good anymore. I don't think I even stuck them on last year since it took so long to get the fed in the mail. I was done for the season by the time I got it. I think all you need is proof you bought it which is on the license in the form of a receipt of sorts.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hunter-Ed online education indicates the student must be 13 yrs to enroll in online studies. I’m seeking clarification.
    That is correct for the Online/Field day workshop.

If the child goes to a tradition hunter education class, there is no minimum age. However, the child needs to be mature enough to sit through the class(es) of 9 very long chapters, take a 50 question test (written to the 5th grade level), participate in a field walk displaying safe firearm handling skills, and conduct a lieve fire exercise.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    That is correct for the Online/Field day workshop.

If the child goes to a tradition hunter education class, there is no minimum age. However, the child needs to be mature enough to sit through the class(es) of 9 very long chapters, take a 50 question test (written to the 5th grade level), participate in a field walk displaying safe firearm handling skills, and conduct a lieve fire exercise.
    This especially. We see many 6-8 year-old children in classes because the parent wants them there. Most cannot even pick up a firearm let alone handle it safely. In this case I think 12 year-old children would be capable to take the class and benefit from the in-class experience.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    There are also states that offer a 100% online option. I think NC is the cheapest and does not have a minimum age. It is up to you to decide if your son is a good candidate for that option.

You could also have your son take the online apprentice course and get him an apprentice license. He would have to hunt in your presence until he completes the full course, but it is an option. I would have gone that route when mine were young as they didn’t it hunt in their own until 16 or so.

You can also continue to buy him the apprentice license until he turns 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom