• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    A buddy is doing his field day tomorrow. Any tips that you might be able to pass along? I'll be taking mine later in the spring and would appreciate any wisdom imparted by the collective.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Just follow directions. I did another one with my wife a couple of years ago and they tell you what and how they want you to do it.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Coffee! and don't be late! If you never been hunting, like myself, there is some good info and safety tips as well as other interesting things that you might not think of. If you have been "out with a buddy who was hunting" :innocent0 then it may seem a bit boring. At least the classroom part.

Definitely study your online course. The guy next to me obviously had not and had no business being there or ever holding a gun. He kept trying to ask me questions during the test(like the kid who doesn't study for finals). I just ignored his dumb-a$$ until he got the point.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Get in the hunter / safety frame of mind during the field walk.

The instructors purposely set up some turkey decoys and tied a ribbon around a tree. We stopped there and the instructor asked "shoot / don't shoot?" I must admit I got it wrong. (You don't walk up on turkeys, the ribbon indicated another hunter was in that area.) The other instructor then popped out from behind a tree. I paid very close attention for the rest of the walk-through...

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I dont know if the same, but i took mine few years ago for turkey hunting, and the test is the same exact as the one on the website. study or remember the answers, because its the same exact test they gave me was the practice online test. Thats a good thing because they do not want you to fail.

On the field test, its to see how safe you are with a gun, so pay close attention to the muzzle pointing, and remember to never touch the trigger until you are ready to shoot...On my test day, they let us shoot a single shot shotgun, at a trap shooting situation. Just once though, It does not matter if you miss, I think the purpose was to see if you know how safe you are with a gun... turn safety on/off, no finger on trigger and stuff like that. They are not there to fail you...thats what i was told. The trainers are nice, at least mine were

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Just got his report. Got a 98% on the test and the field day was about as common sense as it could be. Then again, common sense is so rare these days it might as well be a super power.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    also, depending on where you go be prepared for sitting on your ass for a while during the classroom time. when I did mine a few years ago there were 40 people in the class. the field exercises took forever because they only had 2 instructors.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Just got his report. Got a 98% on the test and the field day was about as common sense as it could be. Then again, common sense is so rare these days it might as well be a super power.

:thumbsup: I dont think they make it so difficult you fail...since typically youth (12yr olds+) are the ones that go to the course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom