• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • e40bib

Feb 13, 2011
    Both of my sons want to try goose hunting this year and maybe their mother also. Problem is with football, and fall baseball it seems nearly impossible to get them in a hunter safety class so they can get there license. Are there any Maryland Hunter Safety instructors out there that would be willing to do a personal (for lack of a better word) class for us? Can this even be done?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If they have'nt been through the class how much time have they spent practicing on targets that will simulate such hunting conditions? Hunting is about harvesting Gods creatures and spending quality time teaching them how to safely and humanely do that. If you don't have time then you don't. I'd like to fly jets tomorrow but I don't see that happening. It took my son 3yrs to meet my standard for firing at a living thing after completing the hunter safety course.(All shots in 4" at 50yds)
    I do think the Hunter Safety Course is a great program and gives your children a state issued credential allowing them acess to loaded firearms and a good concept of the ethics of hunting and the responsibility that comes with every round you fire.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Where are located?
    Cresap, in Frederick Co., does them in the evenings and Saturday afternoon.
    Not sure if sports are afterschool or after dinner.

Chris

e40bib

Feb 13, 2011
    If they have'nt been through the class how much time have they spent practicing on targets that will simulate such hunting conditions? Hunting is about harvesting Gods creatures and spending quality time teaching them how to safely and humanely do that. If you don't have time then you don't. I'd like to fly jets tomorrow but I don't see that happening. It took my son 3yrs to meet my standard for firing at a living thing after completing the hunter safety course.(All shots in 4" at 50yds)
    I do think the Hunter Safety Course is a great program and gives your children a state issued credential allowing them acess to loaded firearms and a good concept of the ethics of hunting and the responsibility that comes with every round you fire.

They both shoot skeet and sporting clays quite often including a few events between them. I have hunted geese for years and they are at the point they want to try it. Since they never hunted they never needed the class, they have however had the NRA first steps class. They both play sports and since we don't sign them up for things and then not show up, we make them go to every practice and games unless they are very sick. There has to be first time, if they don't like it and don't hunt again that's ok but they want to try. I'm not sure if your post is discourage them from trying or what your point really is? We are just having trouble finding a class that can work around their practice schedule.

Last edited:

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    Baltimore county game and fish in perry hall has one coming up. Regestration is in aug. Its free

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    They both shoot skeet and sporting clays quite often including a few events between them. I have hunted geese for years and they are at the point they want to try it. Since they never hunted they never needed the class, they have however had the NRA first steps class. They both play sports and since we don't sign them up for things and then not show up, we make them go to every practice and games unless they are very sick. There has to be first time, if they don't like it and don't hunt again that's ok but they want to try. I'm not sure if your post is discourage them from trying or what your point really is? We are just having trouble finding a class that can work around their practice schedule.

If they are proficient on moving targets then they should be fine. I see hunting as harvesting Gods creatures not just another moving target so we owe them our best. I always saw the Hunter Safety Course as something done around 8yrs as a first step so they have a credential that allows them acess to ranges and firearms in the home.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    My son and I are in class right now at Edgewood Arsenal. I understand it can be difficult to get them in class, but if it is something you want to do cut something else off. We try to get our kids into to many things. If they really want to hunt, then they need to make a decision on what the want to do. Hunt, football, baseball, can't do them all, maybe. Depends what you want to do. My wife and I have limited our kids to 2 activities not counting hunting. That way we have the time to do it.

Vic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom