• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Just picked up this rifle from Atlantic Firearms. This thread will be continuously updated as I shoot the hell outta this rifle. I meant to do it the same day but I left work later than expected.

What is it?
    It is a clone of the Russian Dragunov (Type 3, most modern version) chambered in 7.62x54R, manufactured by FEG of Hungary. The Dragunov is a more or less designated-marksman's rifle created in the early 1960s and is still in use today by Russia and a number of other countries. Being a combloc enthusiast, when I found out these were dropping, I jumped at the chance.

These were originally (infamously) imported through Trident LLC of Gambrills, MD, and sold by Copper Customs/MAC. The latest batches are imported by B&T of Tampa, Florida, and sold through a number of retailers to include Atlantic Firearms.

OAL: 48"
    Barrel length: 24"
    Barrel twist: 1:12
    Barrel details: Lothar Walther Cold hammer-forged, chrome lined
    Trigger pull ~3lbs

What is it not?
    A super-accurate precision sniper rifle
    A Romanian PSL
    A Zastava M91
    Not an AK derivative of any sort

Who is it for?
    The high price tag ($7.5k MSRP) of these rifles pretty much makes the primary target consumer either a collector with expensive tastes, or a combloc enthusiast.

I sold off all my mil-surp. My collection is going in a different direction and I don't shoot those rifles any more. So that took a chunk of change out of the cost.

Is it worth it?
    It depends on who you are. If you're one of the above, yes. If not, it is probably not for you. DMRs have come a long way since the 1950s, there are rifles that are sub-$2k that could probably run circles around this design so to speak.

Russian Dragunovs (Tigers) have been banned from importation since the late 90s. The Russian Tigers did not have the proper barrel length, furniture, and are missing the gas regulator (see later pics), and flash hider. Tigers start at upwards of $8.5k. So for $8.5k you get a neutered Dragunov.

So what do you get?

A nice hard case
    pYqyJKw.jpg

The rifle of course:
    1PWRzq8.jpg

Manuals printed on high-quality paper. Both manuals have certificates with the serial numbers and other QC info. The rifle manual includes a laminated card with the serial and more QC info.
    obnGlrE.jpg

CjNII5q.jpg

71HGnbq.jpg

Accessories:
    Cleaning kit in tube with regulator wrench
    Batteries for the PSO-1M2 scope
    Flash hider
    Lens cloth
    Oil bottle
    7.62x54r snap cap
    2x magazines
    Cleaning rod
    Spare firing pin spring (not pictured)
    L6SKotf.jpg

Scope:
    PSO-1M2
    Scope cover
    SDSRX9l.jpg

The rifle with PSO-1M2 attached
    yYE0ato.jpg

There is a muzzle nut with an aluminum pop rivet installed to keep the thread protector on (this is probably to satisfy import restrictions)
    li2aCnH.jpg

gO4m4LS.jpg

Muzzle pop rivet removed with 5/32 drill bit, revealing really nice 5/28x24 threads. I both love and hate this muzzle setup. It's cool that it's threaded to provide a capability missing from the original SVD FSB, however front sight windage is controlled via two hex-head machine screws which I can already tell will probably loosen from firing. The muzzle device pin is actuated by the grub screw that is now sticking out in this photo, it is not a spring-loaded plunger.
    SiRi8LG.jpg

The gas regulator. This is meant to switch between normal and adverse/winter (more gas) settings. This regulator is missing on Tigers and usually costs $500
    cX4sIju.jpg

Left-side receiver
    TT1rL26.jpg

Right-side receiver
    0Pmncrt.jpg

Rear leaf sight, graduated to 1200M with a "battle setting"
    1w7dnaY.jpg

Handguards pop open to reveal the short-stroke operating system
    b0P1RrQ.jpg

7toK3at.jpg

I installed the flash hider and had the proper Modern polymer Russian SVD furniture ready to go. The Hungarian stock's LOP is too long for me, I am 5'7". For those interested, the LOP with the different stock setups is as follows:
    Hungarian OEM: 14-1/8"
    Russian polymer: 12-1/2"
    Russian polymer with Russian stock pad: 13-7/16"
    DLI59wK.jpg

hG9FCGS.jpg

What's in the future for this rifle?
    I plan to do some accuracy tests at 100yds (sorry that's all I have) with standard Wolf steel-cased 148gr, PPU brass-cased 182gr, and 174gr handloads I plan to work up.

A new scope with mounting system. The Russian-designed PSO-1M2 was accurate for the time that the rifle was made. It is hurt by its lack of parallax adjustment, focus adjustment, and off-center mounting (it is offset to the left to be more comfortable with right-handers). I'm looking at a Primary Arms optic, similar to the one I have on my SCAR-17S

Suppression. I have a mount on the way to utilize my Griffin Armament 30SD-K on this rifle.

A comparison, but not really. Once I have a "match" load worked up and a proper scope, I plan to do an accuracy comparison versus my SCAR-17S (175gr SMKs). The SCAR is less than half the cost of the HD-18. This is more to show how far we've come I guess.

First range session
    Zeroing irons and PSO-1M2 with Wolf Military Classic 148gr

Second range session
    100yds w/ PPU 182gr brass
    I'm going to save you the link jump. It was abysmal. I still have the targets in my trunk. We're talking 3MOA.

Suppressor Mount
    Added Griffin Armament Flash Comp. Range session soon.

Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    That's a beautiful rifle, congrats. Barnaul makes some Match/Target 174gr 7.62x54r ammo that is still available on Gunbroker for not too expensive. I have shot some of it thru my Vepr and it does pretty well for Russian, non corrosive steel cased ammo. Just throwing that out there if you were still looking for decent 54r ammo.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm interested in your review. Nice pics!
    I was on the notify list for these at Atlantic and they were gone by the time I checked. I'm not sure I'm going to spend machine gun money for one but I've thought about it. I'm a fan of big bore and 54R so I'm definitely interested. Maybe the next round.
    Though think the price is a FU to us. Dragunovs are cheap(er) in Canada where they aren't banned. I don't see why the FEG version is more than 2x that (or even the M91.) Someone is making a huge profit. Nothing we can do about it.

Edit: BTW, that is the prettiest wood I have seen on one. Might even make it worth the price ;)

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Nice

Head over to Delmarva Sporting Clay and stretch its legs. I would love to hear a range report at 200 and 300 yards.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I'm interested in your review. Nice pics!
    I was on the notify list for these at Atlantic and they were gone by the time I checked. I'm not sure I'm going to spend machine gun money for one but I've thought about it. I'm a fan of big bore and 54R so I'm definitely interested. Maybe the next round.
    Though think the price is a FU to us. Dragunovs are cheap(er) in Canada where they aren't banned. I don't see why the FEG version is more than 2x that (or even the M91.) Someone is making a huge profit. Nothing we can do about it.
    My cousin and I were watching the page when the HD-18s dropped. All gone in 20 minutes, I'm unsure how many rifles Atlantic had, probably less than 100 or so. But yea the $7.5k is a hard pill to swallow. You're definitely not going to get $7.5k worth of performance from this firearm.

I am hoping more are imported, even if it drives the cost down below what I paid, I would like more people to be able to enjoy the platform and innovate. SVD accessories/upgrades are lacking over here. The last time the US got SVD imports was in '96. I was like 7 years old at the time, so I, along with a lot of other younger folks, missed the boat.

There's some speculation as to the origin of these rifles and whether or not FEG has the manufacturing capability to meet "demand" there are only around 480 of these rifles in the states. Reps from FEG have stated they need a major investment to continue.

Very nice. I would have left on the wood. Looks like a fine shotgun rifle

I'm a cloner snob. haha The wood is definitely gorgeous, however the length of pull is a bit longer than I'd like, I'm short 5'7" and have short arms.

I would definitely grab a set of Russian wood furniture if I can also grab the correct ribbed (Type 2) dust cover to go with it. Unfortunately both the wood and dust cover are $500/piece and I'd rather spend that money on ammo to shoot this thing.

Nice

Head over to Delmarva Sporting Clay and stretch its legs. I would love to hear a range report at 200 and 300 yards.

If I can find a good scope mount for it and get a better optic. I'd love to stretch her out to 200/300yds. My eyes aren't the best so I need all the help I can get.

Last edited:

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Awesome thread! I was wondering if anyone here was going to get one. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots. I was tempted by them but just had too much money tied up in other stuff in the collection I'm not willing to part with.

I'll also vouch for the 174 grain Barnaul, it shoots great in my PUs and Zastava M91.

If I can find a good scope mount for it and get a better optic. I'd love to stretch her out to 200/300yds. My eyes aren't the best so I need all the help I can get.

If you ever want to stretch it to 200 yards I would be more than happy to bring you as my guest to AGC...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have part of a SVD mount if I can find it. One of my 54R VEPRs came w/ a scope mount that was wrong. Orig owner had bought one for a SVD. I swapped it out long ago and don't throw anything away. I tripped over it the other day - if I can find it again it's yours.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Awesome thread! I was wondering if anyone here was going to get one. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots. I was tempted by them but just had too much money tied up in other stuff in the collection I'm not willing to part with.

I'll also vouch for the 174 grain Barnaul, it shoots great in my PUs and Zastava M91.

If you ever want to stretch it to 200 yards I would be more than happy to bring you as my guest to AGC...

I'll give the Barnaul a try once I run through some Wolf and PPU. If I can get a better scope and mount I may take that invite. Thanks!

I have part of a SVD mount if I can find it. One of my 54R VEPRs came w/ a scope mount that was wrong. Orig owner had bought one for a SVD. I swapped it out long ago and don't throw anything away. I tripped over it the other day - if I can find it again it's yours.

I would compensate you for the mount.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    First range session
    I'm going to caveat this with "I'm no Rob-Ski (AK Operator's Union) or Henry Chan (9 Hole Reviews)." But I think I'm okay.

Ammo: Wolf military classic 148gr

Getting the irons sighted in
    The PSO-1M2 sits high enough to allow the user to utilize the iron sights. Prior to the range session I used calipers to set the front sight windage, the method of securing the front sight from moving (two opposing hex head screws), does not inspire a lot of confidence, I made sure to "torque the shit outta them" before heading to the range.

I chose 25 yards to zero the iron sights using the 200m setting on the rear sight. It's not scientific at all, but I imagine I will sparingly use the iron sights on this thing. Looks like my windage was fine and only required elevation adjustment with an AK-type front sight tool. The first shot is that one way up north, I overshot the adjustment resulting in the two lower-most shots, before one more half-turn, resulting in the grouping you see in the middle.
    QpNkKju.jpg

100yds with the PSO-1M2
    Using the 100M setting on the rear sight leaf, I chose a POA and got the PSO-1M2 on paper. I could not get the rifle to group at all with the scope.
    NXk5nD0.jpg

It was then that I deduced that the scope mount tension was not set tight enough. After adjusting the tension on the mount by "one click". I got better results. I was playing around with the scope turrets for the upper left and right targets before settling in and going in for the "kill"
    QrXsoDg.jpg

TgUkpso.jpg

o1KsGAn.jpg

The group measured 1-3/4" (1.75 MOA) center-to-center. That's not bad for questionable (consistency-wise) steel case ammo. The Wolf Military Classic seemed under-powered at times, I got two stovepipes out of the 100 rounds I fired and 5 failures to extract, requiring me to hit the charging handle against the shooting bench to extract the spent casing.

I'll be out again tomorrow with the 182gr PPU brass cased stuff.

Some small gripes:

I wish the charging handle was longer, there's not enough real estate if you need more leverage to extract a case. The small charging handle also makes it so that your hand comes into contact quite a bit with the safety lever tab.

That front sight windage adjustment method is awful.

Last edited:

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I spent a lot of time finding the FAB defense mount to put a better scope on my PSL. I ended up putting a 1-10x Primary Arms M10 BDC scope to keep with the DMR theme. Haven't had a chance to try yet, but it might work for you as well as it is an SVD style mount.

Attachments

• 20230130_115502.jpg
      20230130_115502.jpg
      342.2 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads