• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomK

Apr 26, 2020
    Anyone have this barrel? It’s a bit lighter than the faxon fluted HBAR and 30% cheaper ($215 vs $299).

https://www.hughes-ballistics.com/c...cts/16-cmv-5-56-mid-length-hbar-fluted-barrel

- 4150 steel vs 416-R for faxon
    - both have 5R rifling
    - mid length gas
    - 1:7 twist
    - nitride coated incl barrel extension
    - 556 vs 223 wylde for faxon

Not sure if they make the barrel, but they make the extensions, bcg’s and other small parts. Parent company is Hughes. Looks like a good option for a Maryland build.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don’t have one, but if I didn’t already buy 1 barrel today…I’d be buying one of these.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I got the faxon match series heavy fluted from optics planet a couple weeks ago for $260. I’ve used that barrel on another build and I was really impressed.
    Just checked it’s up to 280 to 290+
    I guess I got lucky

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    I would never recommend Hughes ballistics. My son had a hell of a time with them about a year ago.

He ordered a 16" 5.56 HBAR barrel, because they were one of the only places to have them "in stock". It took them over 3 months to get his barrel to him, and kept offereing excuses up about production runs, nitriding problems, etc. He finally threatened to cancel the credit card transaction, since they wouldn't issue him a refund. They finally sent his barrel. Horrible packaging, no tracking info.

We install the barrel, and he immediately has cycling issues. After checking his various mags for issues, checking gas block alignment, trying different buffer and spring combos, we realize that the gas port is ridiculously tiny for a 16" mid-length barrel. I ended up drilling the gas port out to proper size, and everything seems good. Then he starts having feed issues, and we notice that the feed ramps on the barrel extension are garbage.

He ended up swapping it out with a BA 16" HBAR, and hasn't had an issue simce. He never even tried to contact Hughes and deal with more of their customer service headaches. He just chalked it up to a lesson learned.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would never recommend Hughes ballistics. My son had a hell of a time with them about a year ago.

He ordered a 16" 5.56 HBAR barrel, because they were one of the only places to have them "in stock". It took them over 3 months to get his barrel to him, and kept offereing excuses up about production runs, nitriding problems, etc. He finally threatened to cancel the credit card transaction, since they wouldn't issue him a refund. They finally sent his barrel. Horrible packaging, no tracking info.

We install the barrel, and he immediately has cycling issues. After checking his various mags for issues, checking gas block alignment, trying different buffer and spring combos, we realize that the gas port is ridiculously tiny for a 16" mid-length barrel. I ended up drilling the gas port out to proper size, and everything seems good. Then he starts having feed issues, and we notice that the feed ramps on the barrel extension are garbage.

He ended up swapping it out with a BA 16" HBAR, and hasn't had an issue simce. He never even tried to contact Hughes and deal with more of their customer service headaches. He just chalked it up to a lesson learned.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

I’d take real world experience over a spec sheet.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Just my $.02, YMMV.

I'm always really leery of inexpensive brands I don't know. BCA and a couple other fine purveyors of garbage make a lot of "private label" barrels for other companies. Impressive specs, look cool, jam like a MOFO from flat out bad specs and crappy work. Personally, Ballistic advantage and Faxon are the lowest I go, anything less just isn't worth the headaches. They tend to run well enough in AR15s and AR308s, their 9mm barrels suck though.

TomK

Apr 26, 2020
    Thanks for the info! I went ahead and bought one and it shipped today with free shipping and 10% off because it was my first purchase. Doesn’t mean its a good barrel. I’ll hit it with what I learned at SOTAR school and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom