• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place, but HQL questions seem to be scattered all over the place.

I recently applied for the MD HQL, and marked training exempt based on current gun ownership. Specifically my father gave me his Colt M1911 Transition model (made in 1924) way back in the mid 1980s. Of course it was exempt from any sort of check or registration, and it was presumably already C&R when he gave it to me (though I didn't know it at the time.)

I put the s/n and other info on my HQL application, which was submitted a couple of weeks ago. Looking at the status pretty much everything is marked Completed, but Training is still marked Incomplete. My question is how do MSP know that I actually possess the gun I listed? Do they just assume it's as I've stated, or is there more involved. Do I need to go and do a voluntary registration for it, or should I just expect a phone call from them? I know the law just says legally owned, which it is. Or am I just being overly concerned?

And yes, I realized that I should have just done the W&C Permit first, or hunter safety training, but I didn't find this forum until after I'd started the process.

Thanks, and now off to introduce myself.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place, but HQL questions seem to be scattered all over the place.

I recently applied for the MD HQL, and marked training exempt based on current gun ownership. Specifically my father gave me his Colt M1911 Transition model (made in 1924) way back in the mid 1980s. Of course it was exempt from any sort of check or registration, and it was presumably already C&R when he gave it to me (though I didn't know it at the time.)

I put the s/n and other info on my HQL application, which was submitted a couple of weeks ago. Looking at the status pretty much everything is marked Completed, but Training is still marked Incomplete. My question is how do MSP know that I actually possess the gun I listed? Do they just assume it's as I've stated, or is there more involved. Do I need to go and do a voluntary registration for it, or should I just expect a phone call from them? I know the law just says legally owned, which it is. Or am I just being overly concerned?

And yes, I realized that I should have just done the W&C Permit first, or hunter safety training, but I didn't find this forum until after I'd started the process.

For a definitive answer to your questions regarding the firearm, the best source would be the MSP Licensing Division.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

You are being overly concerned, they're just happy you "registered" another firearm with them. It will be approved in due time with no phone call or visit from MSP and no additional information needed.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    I finally received an email from MSP, in part:

"I see you listed a firearm as your training exemption, but that firearm is not found in the firearm database as listed to you, please provide proof of ownership for the firearm you listed on your application (sales receipt, Form 77R from date of purchase or a photograph of the firearm to include, make, model, caliber and serial number)."

So they don't just "register" it based on the info provided, you need to prove you own it first. I'll send them a photo, though a Colt M-1911 from 1924 won't show the caliber anywhere. (It was my father's during WWII, so of course no paperwork anywhere as none was needed.)

Edit to add: sent photos last night, HQL approved at 0805 this morning.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    They keep a list but no guns or people ever get removed from the list so if you are dead they will still think you own guns and the guns you own will also be owned by anyone who owned it either before or after you owned them if they were ever registered. Illegal guns and gun owners aren't added to the list.

A great tool for intimidation but not so much for practical law enforcement.

The Federal Government doesn't keep a list except for the illegal one the ATF doesn't have of all the FFL records scanned into a searchable database. Another reason they are pushing for universal background checks so all transfers will be recorded in a FFL's paperwork they have access to.

Last edited:

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    Adding a bit more info in case others have similar questions.

Now that I've got my HQL, I figured I'd do the voluntary registration of my 1911, since they already know about it but it's not necessarily "official." So I went through the voluntary registration version of the 77R, and of course one of the first things it asks for is my HQL! Clearly it's not possible to register anything if you don't have the HQL, voluntary or not.

And yes, I want to make it official as my next step is to apply for designated collector. I'll do HGP at some point, I just need to make time for the training and find someone who does it during the week.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Adding a bit more info in case others have similar questions.

Now that I've got my HQL, I figured I'd do the voluntary registration of my 1911, since they already know about it but it's not necessarily "official." So I went through the voluntary registration version of the 77R, and of course one of the first things it asks for is my HQL! Clearly it's not possible to register anything if you don't have the HQL, voluntary or not.

And yes, I want to make it official as my next step is to apply for designated collector. I'll do HGP at some point, I just need to make time for the training and find someone who does it during the week.
    Why would you want to voluntarily register a firearm if they already know about it. How does the state already know about it if the transfer hasn't been recorded in the state?

I can't wait for this answer.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    Why would you want to voluntarily register a firearm if they already know about it.
    So I can apply for Designated Collector Status, as you must have at least one registered firearm to apply.
    How does the state already know about it if the transfer hasn't been recorded in the state?
    Read the thread? I used a previously owned but unregistered firearm to meet the HQL training requirement. So they know about it, but it doesn't necessarily meet the requirement of a registered handgun.

And no, I don't expect that they will be breaking down my door at any point to make me turn in a 100 year old gun.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    So I can apply for Designated Collector Status, as you must have at least one registered firearm to apply.

Read the thread? I used a previously owned but unregistered firearm to meet the HQL training requirement. So they know about it, but it doesn't necessarily meet the requirement of a registered handgun.

And no, I don't expect that they will be breaking down my door at any point to make me turn in a 100 year old gun.
    Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy something new.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Why do you need designated collector status BEFORE you own a second pistol?

The only function of the D C S is to allow you to buy more than two handguns a month.

And why would you voluntarily register a family heirloom?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is absolutely nothing in state statute that requires you to have a regulated transfer on record with MSP to apply for and receive a designated collector letter.

Maryland does NOT register/record handguns that you own. They record transfers to you.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    There is absolutely nothing in state statute that requires you to have a regulated transfer on record with MSP to apply for and receive a designated collector letter.
    MSP claim that you must already have a registered firearm to apply.

Interestingly, I see nothing in the statutes that covers a "Designated Collector."

edit: ah, it's a regulation not a statute.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    MSP claim that you must already have a registered firearm to applt.

Interestingly, I see nothing in the statutes that covers a "Designated Collector."

edit: ah, it's a regulation not a statute.
    And regulation is NOT state Statute, welcome to yet another instance of MSP committing administrative over reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom