• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpm1953

Jun 16, 2015
    Hello all, new member. In February, 2012, I completed the Firearms Safety Training Course offered online by the Maryland Police Training Commission. I have the certificate with serial #, etc... Does this credential exempt me from the training requirement for the HQL??? Thanks in advance!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I thought I would easily find the answer in a mdshooters link. Not to be had.

With the info you provided, the answer is "no".

From the State of Maryland...you are exempt if you are:

A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

I got that list here: https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Did you use the Firearms Safety Training Course to buy a handgun back in 2012? If you did and own a handgun you are training exempt. You still have to get the fingerprints done, and when you fill out the online HQL application, you choose the exempt option and there will be a page to list the information of the handgun you already own.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.

I got that list here: https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

That is a list of persons exempt from the HQL entirely, he was asking if he was exempt from the HQL TRAINING (Emphasis mine).

OP - as mentioned above, if you currently own a handgun, you are training exempt, you will need to provide the make a serial number of the handgun to qualify for the exemption.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    It also includes regulated long guns. So if you bought anything that required a 7 day wait before 10/01/2013 you are exempt from the training.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

you left out if someone has had the maryland DNR hunter/ safety training course within ten years and can show proof by furnishing the number on the card issued.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    That is a list of persons exempt from the HQL entirely, he was asking if he was exempt from the HQL TRAINING (Emphasis mine). OP - as mentioned above, if you currently own a handgun, you are training exempt, you will need to provide the make a serial number of the handgun to qualify for the exemption.

it doesn't technically have to be a handgun, any MD regulated firearm (as defined prior to 10/1/13) will do per the FSA. If you ever had a 77R not disapproved before October 1, 2013, are not disqualified since then, you are training exempt. Example: AR-15, M1A...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom