• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErictheRed

Jul 3, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I'm still putting it off, but I know that I will want another handgun eventually. I have wanted one for some time now, but I have been trying to avoid the HQL. If I do finally break down...

I am a handgun owner prior to Oct 2013, so I would not need training. I would only need to get fingerprints done.

Where in Leonardtown area is a good place to go?

Thanks for suggestions.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Another one here for leoofmd. Had mine done there and it was fast. Download the form and fill it out prior and the process goes quick.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    You guys that went to LTown, when did you go? I have been trying to call them for days and also sent an e-mail and did not get a reply.
    Wonder if they are still in business.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not so. I spoke with MSP just the other day about this very topic . They told me the prints are good for 30 days.

I think the prints are good for 30 days but they recommend that you send them in right away since the state has 30 days to issue the license. It would suck to pay $60 to get fingerprinted and wait 3 weeks to send them in only to have the state sit on the application for 2 weeks and you're screwed.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    You guys that went to LTown, when did you go? I have been trying to call them for days and also sent an e-mail and did not get a reply.
    Wonder if they are still in business.

They're definitely still in business. They are only there until 4, so you have to take time off of work to swing through.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    They're definitely still in business. They are only there until 4, so you have to take time off of work to swing through.

Yep, thanks. Finally got in touch with them and went for my prints. Turns out that the young lady that works there is a friend of mine from my bouncer days at a place she used to work.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Yep, thanks. Finally got in touch with them and went for my prints. Turns out that the young lady that works there is a friend of mine from my bouncer days at a place she used to work.

Yeah she's sweet. Not too hard on the eyes either!

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    I think the prints are good for 30 days but they recommend that you send them in right away since the state has 30 days to issue the license. It would suck to pay $60 to get fingerprinted and wait 3 weeks to send them in only to have the state sit on the application for 2 weeks and you're screwed.

Not so. I spoke with MSP just the other day about this very topic . They told me the prints are good for 30 days.

I am supplying some info from the MSP website for "informational purposes only". It states:

[I]"Important note for electronic fingerprint participants: after having your fingerprints submitted electronically you must forward the electronic fingerprint processing center receipt and completed application without delay. If you fail to submit the receipt and application in 72 hours, the application may be returned as live electronic fingerprint submission results are not maintained for extended periods.I]

The operative word in the quote above is "may". The MSP could, if they wish, enforce the 72 hour rule. I highly recommend that everyone submit their application within 72 hours of being printed to avoid any risk of this rule being enforced.

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    I am supplying some info from the MSP website for "informational purposes only". It states:

[I]"Important note for electronic fingerprint participants: after having your fingerprints submitted electronically you must forward the electronic fingerprint processing center receipt and completed application without delay. If you fail to submit the receipt and application in 72 hours, the application may be returned as live electronic fingerprint submission results are not maintained for extended periods.I]

The operative word in the quote above is "may". The MSP could, if they wish, enforce the 72 hour rule. I highly recommend that everyone submit their application within 72 hours of being printed to avoid any risk of this rule being enforced.

Above that, it says "The directions located below do not apply to HQL applicants."

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Above that, it says "The directions located below do not apply to HQL applicants."

Unfortunately, This is another example of the MSP "user unfriendly" website which is not very clear.

I contacted the MSP and was told that the statement "The directions located below do not apply to HQL applicants"[/COLOR] is referring to the paragraph about the method used to submit applications for Security Guards, Private Detectives, etc, who have to print out their applications and follow a different process to get their gun permit needed for their employment. I was further told that everyone else (including HQL applicants) are covered by the statement that says:

"Important note for electronic fingerprint participants: after having your fingerprints submitted electronically you must forward the electronic fingerprint processing center receipt and completed application without delay. If you fail to submit the receipt and application in 72 hours, the application may be returned as live electronic fingerprint submission results are not maintained for extended periods."

I offer this information to help those applying for their HQL who may think that the "72 hour" rule does not apply to them and who may encounter problems later.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Law Enforcement Institute in Leonardtown...

It's where I had my live scan done...I think $60?

http://www.leiofmd.com/

It's just down the street from the courthouse, down by the wharf.

Just be aware that these guys aren't always there during their website hours. I just wasted an hour driving over there and back. It feels great to look at a note on the locked door which says "open 10-2, walk ins welcome." What a pain in the ass, I can't stand when people waste my time like that.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks, it's just hard to make it to the mall before 6. I called, St. Mary's county sheriffs, and they'll do it to, as soon as I can get through to the deputy to make an appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom