• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W.Coyote

MDS Supporter
    May 30, 2013
    Kingsville (Hazzard County)
    Applied on 29 Dec. Sat and watched paint drying until 6 Jan when DHMH showed complete. Sat and watched paint dry for another week and a day then today everything else but 2 (JIS and CJIS) showed complete. Those 2 show incomplete...

I was sure I was not going down the HQL road. And then Glock brought out that cute little 42 and that's all she wrote!

Now, even when I get the damned card, I still gotta wait 7 days.... Now that really sucks!!

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Applied on 29 Dec. Sat and watched paint drying until 6 Jan when DHMH showed complete. Sat and watched paint dry for another week and a day then today everything else but 2 (JIS and CJIS) showed complete. Those 2 show incomplete...

I was sure I was not going down the HQL road. And then Glock brought out that cute little 42 and that's all she wrote!

Now, even when I get the damned card, I still gotta wait 7 days.... Now that really sucks!!

The whole 7 day wait should have been eliminated with issuance of the HQL. They know you're not a felon and only a complete moron would believe someone went through the whole process to purchase a handgun to kill someone. Then I remembered which state I was in.

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    Checked again because of my incomplete I asked about a few posts up (only had one checked off and one incomplete with rest not being done). All of a sudden everything was completed except for that damn one incomplete :sad20:

Also went to a LGS and they informed me that the 1 gun per 30 days can also be 2 guns at one time but then 60 days? I'm a recent MD resident again so forgive my ignorance :innocent0

Edit: Submitting collector tommorow but assuming I get HQL before collector (I know I shouldn't have dragged my feet on that).

Augustus

Dec 17, 2014
    Applied back on the 9th of December...
    Everything was approved the 1st week of January..
    Now just waiting for the freaking card...

I'm beginning to get a little irritated now...

A.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Submitting collector tommorow but assuming I get HQL before collector (I know I shouldn't have dragged my feet on that).

My LGS tells me that they won't issue your Designated Collector letter unless/until you have at least one regulated firearm. Their logic is that you can't be a collector without at least one item. (Of course, this ignores the fact that you could have many collected items bought out-of-state with a C&R, but when has Maryland shown any actual capacity for sound logic?)

This matches my experience getting my DC letter. Not a word until shortly after my first 7-day wait. Then the letter arrived.

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    My LGS tells me that they won't issue your Designated Collector letter unless/until you have at least one regulated firearm. Their logic is that you can't be a collector without at least one item. (Of course, this ignores the fact that you could have many collected items bought out-of-state with a C&R, but when has Maryland shown any actual capacity for sound logic?)

This matches my experience getting my DC letter. Not a word until shortly after my first 7-day wait. Then the letter arrived.

My HQL instructor told me to apply right away for the designated collector and stated I didn't need the HQL to apply for it.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    It's not just the mailing. It's the printing of the card (rumor is once per week) and the quality check of the card before mailing. All of that is after it goes Active online.

And to think MVA can print my drivers license in a minute or two.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    My HQL instructor told me to apply right away for the designated collector and stated I didn't need the HQL to apply for it.

I applied before I got my HQL, but it took until about a week after I picked up my first regulated firearm for my letter to arrive. No hassle, but not quick. Applying early is probably a good idea, just don't expect fast results.

I also emailed a copy of my C&R FFL after sending in my application. They accepted it without comment, but it didn't seem to speed up the process.

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    I applied before I got my HQL, but it took until about a week after I picked up my first regulated firearm for my letter to arrive. No hassle, but not quick. Applying early is probably a good idea, just don't expect fast results.

I also emailed a copy of my C&R FFL after sending in my application. They accepted it without comment, but it didn't seem to speed up the process.

Thanks for the information.

Redbaron

Nov 2, 2011
    Hagerstown
    Just wanted to see if I was doing this right...

I'm applying for the HQL through the state police website. I'm exempted from the training component because I already own a handgun. Is the only thing I have to submit to prove that fact the serial number and basic stats for the handgun? I don't need to upload a copy of the paperwork with all that info on it?

Just wanted to make sure before I drop a non-refundable $50

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom