• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I went to Worth-A-Shot as well and had the same experience. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and they made the experience considerably less painful than it would have otherwise been.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Just applied for the unconstitutional and ridiculous MD HQL today (sounds of teeth gnashing and muttering obscenities under breath).

Went to Worth a Shot, and had a terrific experience! Donna was really nice, knowledgeable, supportive, and helped me complete the process in about 15 minutes, including Livescan prints and online app to MSP. I was a little disappointed that my NRA Pistol Instructor cert wasn't recognized by MSP, but since I had purchased a handgun within the past 3 years, and had that receipt with me, I was good to go.

This was my first visit to their shop, and even though the showroom is a bit small, they have LOTS of cool stuff to ogle and fondle. Definitely have to go back sometime when I have more time (and fundage) to browse.

Thanks, folks, for the terrific service!

Are you a Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor? If not, why not?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    was a little disappointed that my NRA Pistol Instructor cert wasn't recognized by MSP

Why? Isn't it under #3?

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component:
    1 Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    2 Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    3 Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    4 Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    5 Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    6 Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

Do you have to be a MSP Qualified Instructor? I don't see that specific wording

Are stuck between what they say and what they mean?

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Why? Isn't it under #3?

Do you have to be a MSP Qualified Instructor? I don't see that specific wording

Are stuck between what they say and what they mean?

I hashed this out a couple of days ago with the MSP. I got a call regarding my pending HQL application. He said my NRA Instructor card wasn't enough. I told him I'm an instructor from a Nationally Recognized Organization. After kicking it around I mentioned that I had already received my QHIC from the MSP as I submitted the app at the same time I submitted my HQL. He said he needed the QHIC, not the NRA cert. So to be clear, the NRA Instructor ID gets you the QHIC, which gets you the HQL w/training exemption. Why they can't just accept the NRA ID in place of the QHIC is beyond me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I hashed this out a couple of days ago with the MSP. I got a call regarding my pending HQL application. He said my NRA Instructor card wasn't enough. I told him I'm an instructor from a Nationally Recognized Organization. After kicking it around I mentioned that I had already received my QHIC from the MSP as I submitted the app at the same time I submitted my HQL. He said he needed the QHIC, not the NRA cert. So to be clear, the NRA Instructor ID gets you the QHIC, which gets you the HQL w/training exemption. Why they can't just accept the NRA ID in place of the QHIC is beyond me.

Because that would be logical. You don't get very far with logic insofar as MD gun laws.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Livescan and Application completed on 9/26
    wait, wait, wait. CJIS, NICS, and JIS kept showing INCOMPLETE.
    Went in TODAY (15 minutes ago) and just happened to look at the Demographics portion of my application and noticed a required field (County) was blank.
    Added my county and submitted the changes.
    Went in 2 minutes ago and now I am ACTIVE!!!!!!!
    Now the wait for the plastic card begins.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    Had a VM from Corp. Hail (Hale) on the machine this eve. I had no idea that the NRA Instructor was not what they needed. I will give him a call and let him know I have the QHIC and hope that is the end of it. Update tomorrow

(Wish they would put that up front to save time, then again I wish I could get a CCW)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Applied 9/24 - still pending. Still the same NICS and CJIS gaps as before. I called today but they wouldn't even take my name - it was the same old, "we have 30 days to process an HQL application."

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    I'm at 10 business days with still no change from date of initial application - everything was completed on mine on the 24th except for the Department of Mental Health and Hygiene, which was completed on the 25th. I'm still waiting on:

NICS - again, this is instant, so why is it blank two weeks later?
    CJIS - I got my notification in the mail, so what's the holdup on their end?

When I applied, it took a total of 8 days to be approved. My mental hygiene section was ran first and sat alone for days. Nothing else was getting completed at all. While at lunch on day 8 I checked and all at once it was completed/approved. It went smonth for me, weird how every scenario is different.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    Just spoke with Corporal Hale (Hail). Very professional and very helpful. All he needed was my QHIC #. For anyone going through this use your QHIC not NRA credentials right off the bat and save yourself a few days.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Maybe I heard wrong or was misinformed, but I was told that once your HQL is approved there will be an MSP approval # which will allow you to apply for the handgun purchase without actually having the hard license in your hand. Is this incorrect?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP has stated you need to have the card in your possession when you receive the gun. I guess whether the paperwork can be started without it is up to the FFL. I know if you do a secondary sale at the MSP barracks, they require you to have the card.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maybe I heard wrong or was misinformed, but I was told that once your HQL is approved there will be an MSP approval # which will allow you to apply for the handgun purchase without actually having the hard license in your hand. Is this incorrect?

IIRC, they were allowing this last October as the program got up and running. However, I seem to remember that MSP told dealers that the card needed to be in hand to start the process.

YMMV, check with your FFL as to what THEY will require.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    J
    Went to Worth a Shot, and had a terrific experience! Donna was really nice, knowledgeable, supportive,

This was my first visit to their shop, and even though the showroom is a bit small, they have LOTS of cool stuff to ogle and fondle. Definitely have to go back sometime when I have more time (and fundage) to browse.

Thanks, folks, for the terrific service!

I too have had good experiences at Worth a Shot. I went there for handgun training a couple of years ago after I got my first handgun, and Donna gave me a personalized one on one classroom instruction followed by training at a close by gun range. She was great and taught me a lot. I highly recommend them.

I got my HQL within a week. Got my fingerprints and application in on Monday, and the HQL arrived in the mail on Saturday. I was really surprised at the efficiency of the MSP!:)

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    IIRC, they were allowing this last October as the program got up and running. However, I seem to remember that MSP told dealers that the card needed to be in hand to start the process.

YMMV, check with your FFL as to what THEY will require.

This is what I did. My FFL needed the card when I started the paperwork. He did not need to see it again when I picked up in a couple of days.

czechfiend

Oct 16, 2014
    Monkton
    So my checklist disappeared 2 days ago and I am still left with pending. Does that mean I went active but it just doesn't say so? Should I give them a message asking or relax cause it will probably be here soon anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom