• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Aside from not being fond of needing an HQL, what do you guys think is best, a class that combines an NRA course like the First Steps class and the requirements for the Md HQL or a class that is only the HQL requirements?

Seems to me there is a great deal of overlap if they are separate courses. Also, getting the NRA cert. and following a national organizations lesson plans would be much easier than making up a new course. Thoughts?
    TD

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Aside from not being fond of needing an HQL, what do you guys think is best, a class that combines an NRA course like the First Steps class and the requirements for the Md HQL or a class that is only the HQL requirements?

Seems to me there is a great deal of overlap if they are separate courses. Also, getting the NRA cert. and following a national organizations lesson plans would be much easier than making up a new course. Thoughts?
    TD

Are you looking to take the HQL course, or put togethr the content for the course? If you're looking to take the course, there are quite a few folks here who give the course, but honestly I'd probably find the quickest, least expensive class and just get it out of the way. I know there are soe who offer it for $20 or so, and one person who I think does it for free.

If you're looking to give the course, some people have assembled their own curriculum in line with the law, and others do the Basic Pistol or maybe the Home Firearm Safety course, and then after comleting and dismissing the NRA course, will reconvene those students interested in the HQL and provide the hour long legal section, which, combined with NRA course, fulfills the state guidance. Thre are pros and cons for each way of doing it.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    We offer the MD HQL as an addition to the NRA Basic Pistol and F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol but we also have a stand-alone class for those who do not want to spend the extra time or money.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That depends on if the OP was otherwise looking to gain knowledge on purpose , or just needs an arbitrary piece of paper.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    We offer the MD HQL as an addition to the NRA Basic Pistol and F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol but we also have a stand-alone class for those who do not want to spend the extra time or money.

we do the same at SLSC.. the nra class and add the md law after the nra class. students get two certificates at the end.. that is if they choose to stay for hql portion. :)

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I am organizing a list of course offerings for a company I will be working with as an instructor. I want I be able to offer something meaningful, and be able to satisfy md. For the HQL.

I like the option of having a combo class and a stand alone HQL course. I don't think everyone wants to have the NRA course, but experienced shooter need the HQL is they want to buy a new pistol.

The FIRST steps course is supposed to be only one type firearm (revolver or semi auto) do you guys stick to that or do you go over both action types so it will cover the HQL requirements?

Thank for the guidance and help.
    TD

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I am organizing a list of course offerings for a company I will be working with as an instructor. I want I be able to offer something meaningful, and be able to satisfy md. For the HQL.

I like the option of having a combo class and a stand alone HQL course. I don't think everyone wants to have the NRA course, but experienced shooter need the HQL is they want to buy a new pistol.

The FIRST steps course is supposed to be only one type firearm (revolver or semi auto) do you guys stick to that or do you go over both action types so it will cover the HQL requirements?

TD

It depends.

I have offered the NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps pistol using the Ruger Mark II/III and 22/45 as representative models of a semi-automatic pistol. My assumption is that those attending will be buying a semi-automatic so I gear the HQL add-on section to reflect that assumption. I do the same thing when I use the Charter Arms Revolvers for my F.I.R.S.T. Steps revolver class.

When I do the NRA Basic Pistol, the students get exposure to single action revolvers, SA/DA revolvers and semi-automatics (.22LR/9mm/.38SPL) so there is no issue.

In each case, I finish the NRA portion of the class first then move on to the remaining topics needed to meet MSP HQL requirements. I also issue two certificates: one for the NRA class and another for the MSP HQL.

I have also spent some time doing a condensed version of the NRA BASIC PISTOL that covers revolvers and semi-automatics and the other topics required for the HQL. It runs about 5 hours plus an hour (or more) at the range. My focus is still on firearm safety and making sure the student can safely handle, shoot and maintain his or her firearm once they purchase it. I also stress coming out to the range to practice and to get involved in a gun club.

I hope this helps!

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miles71

TD
    It depends.

I have offered the NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps pistol using the Ruger Mark II/III and 22/45 as representative models of a semi-automatic pistol. My assumption is that those attending will be buying a semi-automatic so I gear the HQL add-on section to reflect that assumption. I do the same thing when I use the Charter Arms Revolvers for my F.I.R.S.T. Steps revolver class.

When I do the NRA Basic Pistol, the students get exposure to single action revolvers, SA/DA revolvers and semi-automatics (.22LR/9mm/.38SPL) so there is no issue.

In each case, I finish the NRA portion of the class first then move on to the remaining topics needed to meet MSP HQL requirements. I also issue two certificates: one for the NRA class and another for the MSP HQL.

I have also spent some time doing a condensed version of the NRA BASIC PISTOL that covers revolvers and semi-automatics and the other topics required for the HQL. It runs about 5 hours plus an hour (or more) at the range. My focus is still on firearm safety and making sure the student can safely handle, shoot and maintain his or her firearm once they purchase it. I also stress coming out to the range to practice and to get involved in a gun club.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, this does help. I was thinking the same thing except I have been developing an extension of the FIRST steps course to include all action types and the other requirements for md. HQL. Seems like we are ending up in the same place but just getting their from different directions.

In my research I am finding many states have curriculum that is standard for all classes......... Interesting...........

TD

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    I offer an HFS class and then the HQL curriculum. This allows even the most veteran handgun shooter the opportunity to meet the ill-fated HQL requirement while at the same time addressing the needs of the entry level shooter.

This keeps the time requirement to 5 hours and the logistics to a minimum.

I am a firm believer in the discipline of you get what you pay for... If you want to prune the 'low hanging fruit' please do so, it will cut down on my phone calls asking why I charge so much.

If you are putting together a program, I offer this advice;

Provide a quality product or service that you are 'proud' of, don't be concerned with what others are doing or charging. Offer a product/service of value and do it well.

Just thinking out loud....

-Chuck

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Ideal 1 day if training...

Take a combo; HQLICENSE, NRA pistol, and Utah permit course; all at the same time.

That would make for a long day as the Utah curriculum states an instructor must teach the Utah class in it's entirety and apart from all other classes. Time wise that would be about 10-12 hours depending on how much range time for the NRA class.

You may be able to get by with the NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol, the MD HQL and the Utah class.

I may put one of those together for the fall or winter. I am sure I can find some former NRA pistol instructor graduates to help out :innocent0

pskryja

Apr 5, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Exactly what we think.

I offer an HFS class and then the HQL curriculum. This allows even the most veteran handgun shooter the opportunity to meet the ill-fated HQL requirement while at the same time addressing the needs of the entry level shooter.

This keeps the time requirement to 5 hours and the logistics to a minimum.

I am a firm believer in the discipline of you get what you pay for... If you want to prune the 'low hanging fruit' please do so, it will cut down on my phone calls asking why I charge so much.

If you are putting together a program, I offer this advice;

Provide a quality product or service that you are 'proud' of, don't be concerned with what others are doing or charging. Offer a product/service of value and do it well.

Just thinking out loud....

-Chuck

pskryja

Apr 5, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Why not :D

That would make for a long day as the Utah curriculum states an instructor must teach the Utah class in it's entirety and apart from all other classes. Time wise that would be about 10-12 hours depending on how much range time for the NRA class.

You may be able to get by with the NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol, the MD HQL and the Utah class.

I may put one of those together for the fall or winter. I am sure I can find some former NRA pistol instructor graduates to help out :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom