• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Do you have a CCW in any state, C&R FFL, NFA item, etc?
    As I said before, no matter what the law says, once in, you are in. I do believe the reprinting is just a revenue generator for the State.

Brunswick10

Oct 11, 2013
    Federal Law prohibits the retaining of applicant fingerprints. This is why you have to keep getting it done because your prints are not in the system they are not allowed to keep them, Federal Law. If you are arrested then yes the prints stay for 99 years and are not purged, however applicant prints must be purged. Even the FBI purges fingerprints after the retainment period of APPLICANT prints not criminal prints, they stay. So when someone says hey I got printed 5 times for various reasons yes they are correct because their prints are purged under law and no longer exist. The reason for the purge believe it or not you have a reasonable expectation to your privacy therefore applicant prints can not be retained.

Thank you. This is a direct answer to the question. Maybe it says more about the how the law came together during the legislative process, but I would point out that HQL renewals do not require fingerprints. And for that matter, no background check is required for renewals either. If fingerprints are indeed destroyed, I guess the renewal process is really nothing more than a revenue raiser and further inconvenience.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That doesn't make sense if the above arguments are true. If non-criminal prints are purged, there is nothing to compare. It only makes sense if prints for identification are used as a point-in-time check that you are not a criminal.

Somewhat the same thing.

A criminal says they are you. Gets fake ID to that affect.

Fingerprints are run, it shows up they are not you, but a criminal.

And not all non-criminal prints are purged.

Military and LEO are not.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    The finger prints are not to prove who you are. They are for proving who you are not. Remember, if you are not a criminal, then your prints should not be in the system. Therefore, when your prints are run, no match should be found. Thus, rather than being qualified, you are found to be not disqualified.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

ews25

Apr 21, 2013
    People's Republic of PG
    Federal Law prohibits the retaining of applicant fingerprints. This is why you have to keep getting it done because your prints are not in the system they are not allowed to keep them, Federal Law. If you are arrested then yes the prints stay for 99 years and are not purged, however applicant prints must be purged. Even the FBI purges fingerprints after the retainment period of APPLICANT prints not criminal prints, they stay. So when someone says hey I got printed 5 times for various reasons yes they are correct because their prints are purged under law and no longer exist. The reason for the purge believe it or not you have a reasonable expectation to your privacy therefore applicant prints can not be retained.

I'm curious, which federal law (__ USC __) prohibits FBI or anyone else from keeping your prints on file?

Thanks!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The finger prints are not to prove who you are. They are for proving who you are not. Remember, if you are not a criminal, then your prints should not be in the system. Therefore, when your prints are run, no match should be found. Thus, rather than being qualified, you are found to be not disqualified.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

This seems wrong to me. Lots of people are printed for misdemeanors that don't disqualify them.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    So go take the HQL once and get finger printed once? after that its just a renewal fee?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Correct, no fingerprints needed for the renewal, only for the initial application.

Of course, that law could be changed in the next 10 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom