• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Just some advice for those of you applying who took the training. Be sure to email the instructor when you complete the application so they know to verify you. The MSP does not notify instructors when someone applies, even though the instructor needs to verify the training. I know of students who got delayed because they didn't apply for a while and the instructor didn't know to verify them.

TD

This.

I impress this on all my students. I tell them this is part of the "gettin' yers" process, and a part they are solely responsible for.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    $50 application fee , plus whatever the LiveScan vendor sets their fee . Typical range is $50-75 .

The Architect

Mar 27, 2020
    My HQL was approved today (4/28) after exactly three weeks of processing. Now I just need the card to arrive in the mail :)

wavygolf

Apr 28, 2020
    Maryland
    Completed my HQL application along with paying $50 app fee on 4/6/20, just received notice that HQL is active as of 4/26/20. Man i was checking the emdsp site frequently at work during April. Now I'm currently researching eye/ear protection and waiting for a good weekend date to visit the range to try out sigs and glocks

Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    Sounds like the MSP is still sending licenses on Fridays. Hopefully I’ll see mine next week. Thanks again for the info

And just to follow up. I did end up receiving my card in the mail the following Monday (4/27) after I went active.

Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    Completed my HQL application along with paying $50 app fee on 4/6/20, just received notice that HQL is active as of 4/26/20. Man i was checking the emdsp site frequently at work during April. Now I'm currently researching eye/ear protection and waiting for a good weekend date to visit the range to try out sigs and glocks

I can relate, I checked multiple times a day. Best of luck with the best of your purchase experience!

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    HQL Approved: Submitted 4/11, approved 4/30

To continue my saga:

HQL Submitted Saturday, April 11
    HQL Approved Thursday, April 30 (19 days)

I saw most of the categories saying ‘Completed’ this morning, and finally around 6pm have the HQL License number.

Will update when I receive the HQL, but hoping that if they normally send it out on Friday I will have it this weekend.

Also hoping that I can give the dealer the information and not have to go in and wait two hours to get into the store (I ordered the gun at Bass Pro and they have it now).

Thanks for the support, MD Shooters!

Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    To continue my saga:

HQL Submitted Saturday, April 11
    HQL Approved Thursday, April 30 (19 days)

I saw most of the categories saying ‘Completed’ this morning, and finally around 6pm have the HQL License number.

Will update when I receive the HQL, but hoping that if they normally send it out on Friday I will have it this weekend.

Also hoping that I can give the dealer the information and not have to go in and wait two hours to get into the store (I ordered the gun at Bass Pro and they have it now).

Thanks for the support, MD Shooters!

This weekend might be optimistic. Not trying to rain on your parade but I would expect it Monday. And you still have the 7 day wait to pick up I think.

LUVE

Apr 27, 2020
    Montgomery County, MD
    Good day everyone and thanks in advance for any responses. Long time lurker and first time poster. Been a Ruger MKIII and Remington 870 owner for a long time. Use them mostly for target plinking and clay shooting. Never really felt the need for anything more until now. And also never realized how the handgun purchase process has changed until I went to go and buy one. Was expecting the same week wait and was helpfully walked through the get an HQL and come back from my local gun store. I went and got fingerprinted as soon as I could get an appointment and turned in my HQL permit application that night on 3/31. Now I fully realize that I like others am probably still in a queue that is back logged a bit because of everyone applying now. My main question is - Can the MSP take longer than 30 days plus shipping? Like could I expect 45-90 days because of the back log. I check the detailed status daily and no progress. I know a watched pot doesn’t boil. And I’m also not being impatient. Understand that it’s a process, that it’s backlogged, and it’s probably a first in, first out type of system.

Thanks again!
    -Travis

PS - I did search but didn’t turn up much on the maximum time.
    HQL received in hand under 30 days. Applied 3/27/20. Hope that helps! FYI: Check boxes went from one to - nothing for 3 weeks - APPROVED. I never saw a progression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom