• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Unless there's an indication that they are truly approaching these chronologically, maybe MDSP wants to push some cases forward that are not close calls (like the last 3 that Montoya provided summaries of) so their overturn rate by the HPRB is reduced, and they can argue that there is nothing wrong with how they are evaluating the merits for a permit.

There is loads of proof that they are NOT addressing the appeals chronologically.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There is loads of proof that they are NOT addressing the appeals chronologically.

If not chronological, sure would be nice to first be reviewing cases where there is a question of whether a G&S standard has been met vs folks who are denied because of disqualifying information (e.g. felonies). I wonder if the latter group is more pushy in getting their cases to the review board - as obviously they aren't hesitating to request a permit which should be rejected on the merits - or it is being argued that the permit is essential for their employment so these appeals get prioritized.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have been following somewhat closely. I don't think anyone has abstained yet.

IIRC, Mrs White abstained on at least one applicant vote at the previous meeting. May have been more.

If not chronological, sure would be nice to first be reviewing cases where there is a question of whether a G&S standard has been met vs folks who are denied because of disqualifying information (e.g. felonies). I wonder if the latter group is more pushy in getting their cases to the review board - as obviously they aren't hesitating to request a permit which should be rejected on the merits - or it is being argued that the permit is essential for their employment so these appeals get prioritized.

I swear the previous HPRB meeting thread ended with the same discussion.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wow. A guy with a state issued business license was denied? WTF

Thought that wasn't (basically ever) supposed to happen?:sad20:

The CPA was not the owner of the firm.

This case could have been huge, IMO due to the specific lack of being a business owner or having documented threats. I was on the edge of my seat as they voted.....

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Wow. A guy with a state issued business license was denied? WTF

Thought that wasn't (basically ever) supposed to happen?:sad20:

Where the applicant hung himself was when he explained that although he was responsible for financial transactions, they were transmitted electronically and not by hand-delivery to financial institutions. He opted for more of a self-defense angle than the financial/business angle. He did, however, convey that being a fraud examiner put him in a precarious position when involved with million dollar clients. This is where Jurgena brought up that just because he had not been threatened YET... the facts favored him enough to warrant being granted a permit. i.e... you should NOT have to be a victim FIRST... to be granted a permit. Jurgena wears a white hat for a reason...:thumbsup:

I type slow...:o

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I know the man's fighting cancer but I wish Hogan would get off the pot and appoint someone to fill the vacancy. Seeing this case tonight being denied because of one board member's apparent spaghetti spine was disheartening to say the least.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Not sure which I enjoyed more tonight, the actual meeting or the group convo out on the curb afterwards... ;)

The after-meeting meetings are usually pretty enlightening... I like when people let their hair down(so to speak)... you get a little better feel for where they are coming from. It's good to hear differing points of view... and toss in a little Secret Squirrel stuff for good measure...:D

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    At least one of these cases was from an application submitted in Feb 2014.

Hearings within 90 days, no.

Accurate information to appellants, no.

Having longer than a 1 hour meeting to eliminate the backlog, no.

Meeting on the 5th Tuesday to work through pending cases, no.

Fair hearings based on applicable law, no.

Meeting minutes, no.

Public, OMA compliant meetings, no.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    If they can get through 6 reviews in 1 hour, then the meeting should be lasting 3 hours and the backlog should be gone in no time at all... Someone is screwing the pooch...:sad20:

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    At least one of these cases was from an application submitted in Feb 2014.

Hearings within 90 days, no.

Accurate information to appellants, no.

Having longer than a 1 hour meeting to eliminate the backlog, no.

Meeting on the 5th Tuesday to work through pending cases, no.

Fair hearings based on applicable law, no.

Meeting minutes, no.

Public, OMA compliant meetings, no.

Good to see you all are whipping them into shape..:sad20:...I suspect what you are witnessing is the same MO they have used for decades.....Not sure why you are expecting anything differently.....

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Good to see you all are whipping them into shape..:sad20:...I suspect what you are witnessing is the same MO they have used for decades.....Not sure why you are expecting anything differently.....

There has been progress, but you wouldn't know it unless you were actually involved in the effort to advance 2A rights in Maryland.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

quote-in-the-united-states-today-we-have-more-than-our-share-of-the-nattering-nabobs-of-negativism-spiro-t-agnew-55-94-40.jpg

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014
    I am foggy on this. Does the chair vote on all motions or just when there is a tie? There are 3 board members and the chair. In the 2nd applicant's case, both Wilson and Jurgena supported overturning the MSP and White opposed it. The chair also opposed it. If he only breaks ties, then he should not have voted and the MSP decision should have been overturned by a count of 2-1.

The chair can vote on all cases. Minimum quorum of 3 members must be present to convene. 4 members currently appointed (1 vacancy waiting to be filled) If any case ends in a tie, the appeal loses and MSPs position wins. The chair can often be seen not to vote in cases where the other members vote a majority, making his vote (either in assent or dissent of the majority) irrelevant, abstaining his vote and keeping it off the record.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Is this correct, a case (cpa) of SD as G&S was voted against by a Hogan appointee?
    The no vote was by a person who has a business that trains "security" personnel.
    Please don't say he hung himself, I thought that SD as G&S is what some want in MD. ? Looks like they are averaging 10 per month, not sure if this is good or bad without knowing the number back logged.
    Thanks to all who attended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom