• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Actually, I was a bit disappointed with the show this go around. Lots of space where tables should be but weren't... lots of tools and non-FA related stuff... but nothing that really screamed for me to take it home. Got some ammo, some targets, and a pre-1899 revolver from Ben the Thailand Trinket guy, but I didn't come away with any super treasures this time. Well... there's always the next show.

Jul 23, 2013
    To the person who bought the 10/22 with the side-folder...

You're not my friend any more.

Saw it, went to look around for anything comparable, and by then it was gone. I knew I should have gone back while Lou and the Missus were chatting!!

;)

Good talking with the few folks I did see.

As for Foxy? I slow-trolled past a couple times, but no clue if he noticed.

Sorry about that Mr H. I told the guy I'm going to look around and probably be back. I came back and offered the fella $225 and he took it.

It's apart at the moment getting some TLC. Will post some pic's when it's all done up.:)

IMHO Howard County is the best show in Central, Md.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    This is not aimed at ay particular dealer out there. There was a discussion about it on Sunday. There are a lot of dealers out there that DO NOT participate in these gun shows and are complaining about sales being down. If I had a place to go for 2 days where my target audience was going to be of roughly 1600-2000 people. Wouldn't it make sense to go there??? Don't you stand a better chance of selling something there than waiting for 1600 people to come into your shop in 2 days?? Just a thought.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who stopped by the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association table!

Good to see some familiar faces and make some new friends too!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    audience was going to be of roughly 1600-2000 people. Wouldn't it make sense to go there???

Depends. Once you factor the extra time and effort involved to move your inventory (twice), table fees, OT for employees to work both days, and lost sales at your storefront shop due to closing it on a weekend it likely isn't worth it.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Depends. Once you factor the extra time and effort involved to move your inventory (twice), table fees, OT for employees to work both days, and lost sales at your storefront shop due to closing it on a weekend it likely isn't worth it.

If the prices are decent and the service is good you SHOULD make money. I don't think Lou at Shooters Discount had any problems selling inventory this weekend. Everytime I saw him even on Sunday, he was doing paperwork.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    tsmith - its a double edged sword. True, if you don't go - you don't make money BUT it takes time and money to go down there and set up as well. If you can't make that back plus a profit with your sales being down, vendors will stay away.

Take me for example. I come from pittsburgh and my expenses are pretty darn high.

1, Diesel - $200-$230 easy
    2, Travel time - 9 hours without traffic (round trip)
    3, W/T on vehicle and trailer - I have to travel in an F350 with a 34' Trailer.
    4, Food for two men - $50-$75 easy
    5, Tables - $720
    6, Hotel - $230

That is $1200.00 in expenses easy just to get down there and setup for the weekend.

1600-2000 may sound like alot of people, however sales have alot of hidden factors people don't take notice of. Factors such as:

1, Average household income
    2, County/State that the show is taking place in
    3, How often shows are in this area
    4, Size of show
    5, Quality of the merchandise that will be there (which often directly correlates to the people that come out.)

Id rather go to a show that draws 1500 people @ 300 or so tables, than a 2,000 table show that draws 10,000 people. Silverado shows provides a quality show, and the caliber of people he brings in keeps me coming back everytime.

NEO. I understand EXACTLY what your saying. This particular scenario would sort of exclude you. They were talking more about "local" dealers. I understand that it isn't suitable for everyone, but when "local" dealers won't even try and then complain about slow or low sales it makes you kind of wonder. I would think that they might at least try it once to see what happens. I use the term "local" meaning dealers within a few counties of where the particular show might be held. Like I said, it was just an interesting conversation that came up Sunday. Not singling anyone out at all.

I like both the HoCo. and Frederick shows. Hell, I wish they still had them at the MoCo fairgrounds. But that's another animal entirely. I'll leave that one alone!!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    This is not aimed at ay particular dealer out there. There was a discussion about it on Sunday. There are a lot of dealers out there that DO NOT participate in these gun shows and are complaining about sales being down. If I had a place to go for 2 days where my target audience was going to be of roughly 1600-2000 people. Wouldn't it make sense to go there??? Don't you stand a better chance of selling something there than waiting for 1600 people to come into your shop in 2 days?? Just a thought.

Read on........

Rread on............

If the prices are decent and the service is good you SHOULD make money. I don't think Lou at Shooters Discount had any problems selling inventory this weekend. Everytime I saw him even on Sunday, he was doing paperwork.

Read on...................

tsmith - its a double edged sword. True, if you don't go - you don't make money BUT it takes time and money to go down there and set up as well. If you can't make that back plus a profit with your sales being down, vendors will stay away.

Take me for example. I come from pittsburgh and my expenses are pretty darn high.

1, Diesel - $200-$230 easy
    2, Travel time - 9 hours without traffic (round trip)
    3, W/T on vehicle and trailer - I have to travel in an F350 with a 34' Trailer.
    4, Food for two men - $50-$75 easy
    5, Tables - $720
    6, Hotel - $230

That is $1200.00 in expenses easy just to get down there and setup for the weekend.

1600-2000 may sound like alot of people, however sales have alot of hidden factors people don't take notice of. Factors such as:

1, Average household income
    2, County/State that the show is taking place in
    3, How often shows are in this area
    4, Size of show
    5, Quality of the merchandise that will be there (which often directly correlates to the people that come out.)

Id rather go to a show that draws 1500 people @ 300 or so tables, than a 2,000 table show that draws 10,000 people. Silverado shows provides a quality show, and the caliber of people he brings in keeps me coming back everytime.

It cost an average of about a $900.00+ layout in direct related expenses (show only, NOT including other expenses) for Shooters Discount to do a local show such as Howard County, Frederick, or Timonium, and we're a "local dealer" in tsmith's words.

NEO. I understand EXACTLY what your saying. This particular scenario would sort of exclude you. They were talking more about "local" dealers. I understand that it isn't suitable for everyone, but when "local" dealers won't even try and then complain about slow or low sales it makes you kind of wonder. I would think that they might at least try it once to see what happens. I use the term "local" meaning dealers within a few counties of where the particular show might be held. Like I said, it was just an interesting conversation that came up Sunday. Not singling anyone out at all.

I like both the HoCo. and Frederick shows. Hell, I wish they still had them at the MoCo fairgrounds. But that's another animal entirely. I'll leave that one alone!!

You don't want to know my true thoughts on having a MoCo show; you wouldn't be offended by it b'cuz I know you well. So let's leave that stinky mushy turd be.

The total expense of doing any given show has to be offset not only by sales profits from that show, but also including the overhead of the shop AND potential profit in the shop for the same time period. This is why we don't do ALL the gun shows in the state; some shows are just not worth doing when I can stay in the shop (not do a given show) and make the same or more profit than I would if I did the show in question. As general rule of thumb, only with a good sense of business accompanied with lengthly experience (30 years worth) of same can one quite reliably make the right call.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I was hoping you would comment on this. You are FAR more knowledgeable on this issue than I. I know it's not cheap and you have to weigh the costs vs. profit part of it. I know for my company, we sometimes do shows just so people know we exist. Not necessarilly the best use of funds for a small business though.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I was hoping you would comment on this. You are FAR more knowledgeable on this issue than I. I know it's not cheap and you have to weigh the costs vs. profit part of it. I know for my company, we sometimes do shows just so people know we exist. Not necessarilly the best use of funds for a small business though.

Yeah, that's why "word of mouth" advertising is the best advertising there is, and it's free.

A business has to get out there (especially a NEW business) to become known in the public eye to have a chance to succeed and become established. This takes money and time to accomplish. Once a business has been established and successful for a LOOOOONG time, so long as the quality of service is maintained or enhanced for the better, "word of mouth" advertising really does well. This doesn't mean a business can eliminate other forms of advertising, but perhaps a minor scale down of paid advertising could be in order.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    You don't want to know my true thoughts on having a MoCo show; you wouldn't be offended by it b'cuz I know you well. So let's leave that stinky mushy turd be.

I'd like to know. Монтгомери is such a nice sector of the People's Republic of Maryland. :rolleyes:

Sirex