• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    My Brother has a boat in the keys and wants to be prepared for pirates. Stuff has happened some of the places he's gone. First purchase was a 12 gauge Mossburg marine. How would you load it in case you had to repeal or discourage boarders?

Any other recommendations?

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    00 buckshot or slugs. Screw the first shot #4 or whatever people like to say... If I'm firing a weapon at someone, I'd rather not give them time to fire back...I'd rather drop them with the first round. And I wouldn't alternate buckshot and slugs either. Do you really think you'll remember several months after loading the gun what's first, what's second...etc etc? Pick one and stick with it. It's a shotgun, not a magic machine that needs all sorts of special trickery.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    00 Buck and some sort of Sabot type slug. The sabots give excellent penetration of solids (like boats) which could help discourage wood be interlopers. 00 Buck for "crowd control".
    I was thinking sabots too. However, in order to get accuracy at distance he would need a rifled barrel which is not good for buckshot for when they get closer.

I wonder if someone makes a saboted dart. I bet than would stay accurate without rifling and tear right through fiberglass hulls too.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    My Brother has a boat in the keys and wants to be prepared for pirates. Stuff has happened some of the places he's gone. First purchase was a 12 gauge Mossburg marine. How would you load it in case you had to repeal or discourage boarders?

Any other recommendations?

:D

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    + 2 to the slugs and 00. You may also want to consider 000 buck for penetration and destructive power as well. Triple 0 has 8 (usually), .36 diameter pellets traveling at over 1300fps in a 23/4 inch shell. Makes for a very effective penetrator with deadly results.

I was thinking sabots too. However, in order to get accuracy at distance he would need a rifled barrel which is not good for buckshot for when they get closer.

I wonder if someone makes a saboted dart. I bet than would stay accurate without rifling and tear right through fiberglass hulls too.

Novus

It's not difficult to get "minute of man" results with sabots out of a slick barrel. I've got some remington copper sabots that are quite accurate. My idea behind the sabots was to punch holes in a boat. So, in my mind if you can't hit a boat at say 100 yards with a shotgun loaded with sabots, then you should probably consider taking up knitting.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Screw the shotgun altogether:
    naval_mount2.jpg

NetStar Technologies HMMWV LAPS Vehicle and High Speed Patrol Boats come standard with the Dillon Aero M-134D Gatling Gun, the finest small caliber, defense suppression weapon available. The Dillon M-134D Gatling Gun is a six barreled, electrically driven machine gun chambered in 7.62mm NATO which fires at a fixed rate of 3,000 shots per minute. Dillon M134D Gatling Guns are capable of long periods of continuous fire without threat or damage to the weapon making them an excellent choice for defensive fire suppression.

Dillon Guns are reliable. The M134D has system life in excess of one million rounds and an average time between stoppage of 30,000 rounds. In the unlikely event of a stoppage the weapon can be serviced and made operational again in under a minute. The multi barrel design means that each barrel only experiences a 500 round per minute rate of fire. This allows for repeated long bursts of fire and a barrel group life of 100,000 rounds.

Dillon Aero Gatling Guns are currently in service with the US and Allied Armed Forces. The standard application is as helicopter crew served and fixed forward fire installations. In addition to their more traditional roles, Dillon Aero Gatlings are supplanting M2 50 cal. Heavy Machine Guns and M240's on a number of the US Army's vehicles. Dillon Aero M134s are also in service with the US and British navies in the fleet protection role and Special Operations fire support role.

Dillon Aero M134D Gatling Guns are entirely new production weapons and come as a complete weapon system with our HMMWV LAPS Vehicle and High Speed Patrol Boats. Through special arrangements with Dillion Aero, M134D Gatling Guns are available only to authorized U.S. military, government, and law enforcement agencies.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

I actually thought about those Dragon's Breath shells when I read this post. But, although you might set fire to the bad guy's boat, you could also set fire to your own boat. Might be fun to see what would happen if you hit their fuel tank with some buckshot, then followed it up with a Dragon's Breath though...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Novus

It's not difficult to get "minute of man" results with sabots out of a slick barrel. I've got some remington copper sabots that are quite accurate. My idea behind the sabots was to punch holes in a boat. So, in my mind if you can't hit a boat at say 100 yards with a shotgun loaded with sabots, then you should probably consider taking up knitting.
    But at high seas though everything is moving. :D

I was thinking something, in the days of sail ships and muzzloading cannon, the round shot would bounce off the water and skip across it (they did this on purpose as a matter of fact). I wonder if the first shot with a pumpkin ball would increase the chance of a hit at a distance because if you shoot too low, it will still skip along and hit the boat at some height.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I personally have encouraged Spot77 to replace the front deck seat on his bass boat with a pedestal mount......so far it's working OK

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Screw the shotgun altogether:
    naval_mount2.jpg

Well an original gatling gun would be good too because they are meant for being mounted and one wouldn't have to worry about the ATF and all those forms (except for the part about exporting and importing non-NFA firearms I guess).

....but seriously, even a mini hand cranked Gatling gun might be the thing that scares the bejeezus out of the pirates. Why not?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I actually thought about those Dragon's Breath shells when I read this post. But, although you might set fire to the bad guy's boat, you could also set fire to your own boat. Might be fun to see what would happen if you hit their fuel tank with some buckshot, then followed it up with a Dragon's Breath though...
    They make tracer shot shotgun rounds. Not sure how much penetration they would make though or if they would ignite the gas.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Depending how big a boat he has, you could also gain some protection from aerial assault

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I'm with Norton.

Plus there's always the dependable "grenade down the funnel approach (remember that great scene from "The Guns of Navarone"?). If your hostiles have a boat with funnels. and if you can score some grenades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom