How Will New Laws Effect Maryland C&R Holders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Looks to me like they exempted C&R handguns, yeah. Depending on how exactly it reads in the end, there's a chance this might help us by making it explicit that they're exempted from the roster board requirement.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Same here (posting while on a training conference call). Good luck to all; I recall reading it the other night, but do not recall the specific amendments that passed in regards to C&R.
    Here are the two references to C&R. Don't know if this is allowing C&R or striking it.

AMENDMENT NO. 11
    On page 9, in line 5, after the comma insert “MEMBERS OF THE MARYLAND DEFENSE FORCE,”.
    On page 20, in line 23, strike “OR”; in line 25, strike “OR” and substitute a comma; and in the same line, after “GUARD” insert “, OR THE MARYLAND DEFENSE FORCE; OR
    (4) A PERSON PURCHASING, RENTING, OR RECEIVING AN ANTIQUE, CURIO, OR RELIC FIREARM, AS DEFINED IN FEDERAL LAW OR IN DETERMINATIONS PUBLISHED BY THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES”.
    On page 21, in line 10, strike “OR” and substitute a comma; in the same line, after “GUARD” insert “, OR THE MARYLAND DEFENSE FORCE”; in line 17, after “(1)” insert “(I)”; and in the same line, after “OLD;” insert “OR
    (II) IS AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD IF THE PERSON IS A MEMBER OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES, THE NATIONAL GUARD, OR THE MARYLAND DEFENSE FORCE;”.
    On page 26, in line 14, after “(i)” insert “1.”; in the same line, after “old;” insert “OR
    2. IS AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD IF THE FIREARM APPLICANT IS A MEMBER OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES, THE NATIONAL GUARD, OR THE MARYLAND DEFENSE FORCE;”;
    SB0281/322711/3 JUD
    Amendments to SB 281
    Page 23 of 25
    (Over)
    and in line 24, strike “THEMSELVES” and substitute “THE FIREARM APPLICANT”.
    On page 32, in line 9, strike “while performing official duties”.
    AMENDMENT NO. 13
    On page 21, in line 8, strike “OR”; and in line 11, strike “AND” and substitute “OR
    (IV) IS PURCHASING, RENTING, OR RECEIVING AN ANTIQUE, CURIO, OR RELIC FIREARM, AS DEFINED IN FEDERAL LAW OR IN DETERMINATIONS PUBLISHED BY THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES; AND”.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Here are the two references to C&R. Don't know if this is allowing C&R or striking it.

AMENDMENT NO. 13
    On page 21, in line 8, strike “OR”; and in line 11, strike “AND” and substitute “OR
    (IV) IS PURCHASING, RENTING, OR RECEIVING AN ANTIQUE, CURIO, OR RELIC FIREARM, AS DEFINED IN FEDERAL LAW OR IN DETERMINATIONS PUBLISHED BY THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES; AND”.

Amendment 11 in the marked up copy that was circulating on 01 April (133465336-Senate-Bill-281-Annotated-with-JUD-HGO-amendments) under 5-117.1 said

(C) A person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun
    only if the person:
    I)...handgun license...
    II)...LEO...
    III)..armed forces... OR
    IV)is purchasing...curio... <<<<<<<<<<<<

but the quote you mention also says AND after the curio

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Amendment 11 in the marked up copy that was circulating on 01 April (133465336-Senate-Bill-281-Annotated-with-JUD-HGO-amendments) under 5-117.1 said

only if the person:
    I)...handgun license...
    II)...LEO...
    III)..armed forces... OR

True, but it also says a curio or relic as defined in federal law, or in determinations made by BATFE. Hopefully I'm not wrong here, but as long as the handgun meets the federal definition of C&R we should be OK. The real question is will the usual vendors still want to deal with us if the bill passes.:innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    True, but it also says a curio and relic as defined in federal law, or in determinations made by BATFE. Hopefully I'm not wrong here, but as long as the handgun meets the federal definition of C&R we should be OK. The real question is will the usual vendors still want to deal with us if the bill passes.:innocent0

dont see why not.. its federal governed... and still not breaking laws in maryland even with new bill unless it comes with more than 10round mag.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

only if the person:
    I)...handgun license...
    II)...LEO...
    III)..armed forces... OR

I beleive the removed the armed forces exception... not sure if the did the same for the C&R exception as well or not.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    How does going out of State help though? You still can't purchase arms there and bring them back here. You will have to transfer through an FFL. Or am I missing something?

A C&R holder is an FFL for C&R handguns. So they can buy in any state.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It's still all wrong even if us C&Rs make it out un touched. I wish I could take off work to go over there. My dad is in Annapolis weekly it seems.

Spartan1771

Bring me the gun of Rambo
    So where do I buy 10 round magazines for my M1 Carbine? It looks like I'll be taking my collection to my Dad's house in PA.

You don't. You can still have 15 round mags, you just can't buy them, sell them or transfer them in MD. Just go to VA, PA, WV or DE, buy them and bring them home. From what I understand, the new law will read the same as the current, except that it lowers the limit from 20 to 10 rounds. It really is unenforceable from a law enforcement perspective. They don't know when you got it or where you got it. As long as your not using it during the commission of a crime or hunting with one loaded with more then 10 rounds, you will be fine. Well that's what I was told anyway.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    EJ Pipkin was on the radio this morning and he could not explain how it worked because of how it's written. But it sounded like he was saying what Spartan said (except the go over the border and buy and bring part)

Spartan1771

Bring me the gun of Rambo
    If I am correct, it is absolutely stupid and a total waste of time, effort and tax payers money on their part. I don't understand making new laws that don't make sense and really aren't enforceable. Yes, none of these new laws make any sense, but this part of it is incredibly stupid. I have friends and family in VA and PA and we travel to WV on occasion for camping, so I'll just have to spend my hard earned money outside of Maryland in a place that doesn't oppress my rights and appreciates my revenue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom