• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Email to and from MSP

Hello,
    I'm sure you are very busy so thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. I recently purchased a handgun and am aware of the lengthy backlog you have for background checks. The question I have is what happens after oct. 1 regarding my recent purchase? I have purchased the handgun but will it be able to be transferred to me after oct.1 or will I have to go through the new procedures(fingerprints, etc.) if the new standards will apply what do I have to do and when can I do it. If I have to I would like to get a early start.

Good evening, you will not be effected because of the new laws. If you have any other questions call me@410-653-4334 Rose Brock on Monday 17th.

--
    Maryland State Police
    Support Services Bureau
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Baltimore, MD 21208
    410-653-4500

As a regulator once mentioned in a meeting, "it's written in the regulation and cannot be interpreted around." This seems to be a similar situation. Unless there is ambiguity pertaining to the terms "transfer" and "receive," I don't see how the MSP can interpret around the terms. Call me a pessimist. I'll be an optimist once we see an official interpretation from the folks who promulgate the regulations.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Is it the handgun that will be banned or the magazine.

I apologize for the ambiguity. I was referring to the HQL requirement in SB281 (regardless of when the paperwork is submitted) for handguns transferred and received on or after October 1, 2013.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As a regulator once mentioned in a meeting, "it's written in the regulation and cannot be interpreted around." This seems to be a similar situation. Unless there is ambiguity pertaining to the terms "transfer" and "receive," I don't see how the MSP can interpret around the terms. Call me a pessimist. I'll be an optimist once we see an official interpretation from the folks who promulgate the regulations.

THERE ARE NO REGULATIONS YET. No way to interpret around or even knowing is you need to or can.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With laws and regulations you cannot assume a word means what you think it means, you have to look into the rest of the langauge, history, definitions, interpretations, and court decisions.

Transfer has been stated by the AG to mean permanent.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I have a feeling they may possibly change their tune on that as we get closer. Law seems pretty clear to me, but just my opinion. Not trying to be the booger on the doorknob, just my opinion....

Booger! :D

I share your pessimism though.
    ETA; woulda been better if it came from the Secretary of Police or Attorney General...
    Color me pessimistic as well.

The glass is not half empty, it's broken into shards and being hurled at us by the People's Republic of Maryland. :tdown:

As Dragline said in Cool Hand Luke; "When it comes to the law, NOTHING is understood."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom