• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm going to order a S&W M&P tomorrow, which is not in stock but was told in an email today that they get the particular one I want in regularly. My question is...if I order/pay for it tomorrow but it doesn't come in before Oct 1 or if it does but is held hostage at the ffl, how what then? Do I then need to get the handgun license, finger prints etc bs or what. I know this has probably been discussed on here before but the search thing isn't very cooperative with my pos phone. Thanks for any clarifying responses on this matter

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    I emailed MSP and asked the same question and they replied stating that if the gun was purchased before 10/1 the new laws would not apply.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I emailed MSP and asked the same question and they replied stating that if the gun was purchased before 10/1 the new laws would not apply.

Can you post the exchange (Without your information of course) please? Please include the MSP POC that responded.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    It has always been that way. Purchase orders count as buying it and you don't need to follow the new laws.

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Email to and from MSP

Hello,
    I'm sure you are very busy so thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. I recently purchased a handgun and am aware of the lengthy backlog you have for background checks. The question I have is what happens after oct. 1 regarding my recent purchase? I have purchased the handgun but will it be able to be transferred to me after oct.1 or will I have to go through the new procedures(fingerprints, etc.) if the new standards will apply what do I have to do and when can I do it. If I have to I would like to get a early start.

Good evening, you will not be effected because of the new laws. If you have any other questions call me@410-653-4334 Rose Brock on Monday 17th.

--
    Maryland State Police
    Support Services Bureau
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Baltimore, MD 21208
    410-653-4500

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have a feeling they may possibly change their tune on that as we get closer. Law seems pretty clear to me, but just my opinion. Not trying to be the booger on the doorknob, just my opinion....

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I have a feeling they may possibly change their tune on that as we get closer. Law seems pretty clear to me, but just my opinion. Not trying to be the booger on the doorknob, just my opinion....

Booger! :D

I share your pessimism though.
    ETA; woulda been better if it came from the Secretary of Police or Attorney General...

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm looking at buying a Ruger LC9 and had the same question. From what one FFL said is that if it's purchased prior to 10/1, you won't need the license. I'll take that with a grain of salt and hope the paperwork is back before then.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

not really a booger..

didnt they just do that with the 8th day wait..

sent letter and a week later discouraging ffl to release after the 8th? :lol2:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I swear the rejects that are in charge of this state make a man bat Shit crazy. I can only hope to sell my house and get the heck outta MD...I swear I feel like a prisoner since I moved here last year. Stupid, stupid me :mad54:

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I was thinking about the law some more, and I don't see how they can not let us receive after October 1. If you look at something like handgun magazines, what, are we all going to have to pick up the magazines before October 1, and if we don't, we lose our property? Not that I wouldn't put such a requirement past them, but that's just absurd. A lot of the MSP policy, while completely ridiculous to those of us who follow this closely, isn't *that* crazy to your average person. They seem to accommodate some things, so it's not like they're all out to screw us.

I think they're pretty neutral on how they handle things, especially given the regulations they have to work within. As I was noting in the one NFA forum, if an SBR is considered a handgun, then how can you buy an SBR that's not on the roster? I'm sure if they just wanted to screw us they could, but the fact that they will sign off seems pretty reasonable.

Curl16

Daughter of a King
    Jun 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm going to order a S&W M&P tomorrow, which is not in stock but was told in an email today that they get the particular one I want in regularly. My question is...if I order/pay for it tomorrow but it doesn't come in before Oct 1 or if it does but is held hostage at the ffl, how what then? Do I then need to get the handgun license, finger prints etc bs or what. I know this has probably been discussed on here before but the search thing isn't very cooperative with my pos phone. Thanks for any clarifying responses on this matter

Is it possible for you to send the handgun to an FFL doing the 8 day wait? I'm not sure where you're located but I have one I used I could recommend. PM me if interested.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , I am glad to see the email , it is their first semi-public sort of statement on the subject.

Given MSP's recent day to day flip flops , I'd be a lot gladder to have seem somthing from someone in more of a position of authority , and a written statement/ policy .

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    There is another thread discussing the language with reference to banned and not banned items. If the magazine capacity is the only point that can be argued then just bring the mags home before Oct 1st.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) The law only addresses purchase orders for banned long guns. It does not mention purchase orders and handguns.

2) NO ONE know for sure how this will be handled. The COMAR (MD regulations) have NOT been written. So until they are, everything is a guess.

BUT, if Rose Brock says this, unless it is addressed differently in the COMAR, we see how the MSP plans on handling it.

Again, if the COMAR specifically states how this will be handled, and that is to require an HQL, then an HQL will be required, MSP will not have the ability to decide.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Define "purchased" because the Form 77r is the Application to Purchase a Regulated Firearm.

Does purchased mean paid for and waiting on the Form 77r to be processed? Or, does it mean paid for and the Form 77r has been completed and approved by MSP?

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Define "purchased" because the Form 77r is the Application to Purchase a Regulated Firearm.

Does purchased mean paid for and waiting on the Form 77r to be processed? Or, does it mean paid for and the Form 77r has been completed and approved by MSP?

I may be wrong but isn't 77r just a release of information authorization form so they can do the background check. To me purchase date means the date you exchange money for the gun, at that point the gun is yours. It just cannot be transferred to you yet. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom