• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

I've only bought at gun shows, and am wondering how trade goes down there. Do you just show up with what ya got with a lock on it, and talk with the tables?

If that's how it works, I'm thinkin about brining some stuff - hi-cap pistol mags I don't need (guns sold) and a shotgun over to Chantilly to see if I can trade it for other gun stuff or ammo.

Lil help from those in the know?

TIA

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Most offers will be low ball, best to sell here or on line.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The dealer has to make money, I think tables at Chantilly are $150 now plus time, expenses. So, if you have a $500 shotgun you would be better off to sell it here to someone who would like it for $500.

The dealer can't pay you $400, have his money tied up for weeks/months, carry it around and have people want to beat him down to $400. So, he will likely offer you about 1/2. Maybe more if it's something he can move fast or is in demand.

If he has something you want and he got into it right also then a trade may be good for both of you. It all depends.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    you will either have to sell the shotgun to a dealer, or go thru a dealer with the paper work if sold to a private individual since you arent a VA resident.
    if it were a maryland show, it wouldnt be an issue.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I had a gun dealer friend state to me when dealing on a price always find something wrong with the firearms and bid down. Pawn Stars uses the same tactics.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Ugh - OK thanks, guess I'll skip that idea then... Makes sense to try and undercut from a biz perspective. Was thinkin maybe trade for someone who has lots of ammo, but who would that be lately ah.

Guess I'll try sellin the mags out of state via Gunbroker, Armslist, or the like. I can still maybe try to sell the mags at least to someone in NoVA.

Thanks as always for the input.

GunnerJacky

Apr 24, 2014
    Consult with any good firearm dealer and take help of internet marketing for good sale. Even in a gun show trade, sometimes dealers will usually offer about less than what the gun is worth. It really depends on the quality of the job and overall condition of the gun which increase or decrease the value.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Hey All,

I've only bought at gun shows, and am wondering how trade goes down there. Do you just show up with what ya got with a lock on it, and talk with the tables?

If that's how it works, I'm thinkin about brining some stuff - hi-cap pistol mags I don't need (guns sold) and a shotgun over to Chantilly to see if I can trade it for other gun stuff or ammo.

Lil help from those in the know?

TIA

Take apart the mags and sell them as parts kits to be assembled out of state to Marylanders

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I have some high cap mags that I want to sell. I was thinking of making up a paper sign and wearing it while I was walking around. (Show in VA)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You might get lucky with slinging the shotgun over your shoulder and bumping into someone.

Not legal to sell a long gun out of state. So you would have to run into another MD resident, who wanted it.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Not legal to sell a long gun out of state. So you would have to run into another MD resident, who wanted it.

And that transaction would have to happen in maryland.

And he can most certainly sell his long gun to a Va fll dealer
    And if he finds a Va resident that wants to buy his long gun he can pay a dealer at the show to transfer the firearm.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Or find a dealer there to do the transfer for a small fee. But just driving back to MD and handing it over (long gun) is cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom