• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I use silicone grease in my buffer tube. It doesn't dry out and wont stain clothing, unless it mixes with carbon from the blow back gasses.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've always wanted to shoot without ear plugs, but I've had my ears ring with ear plugs so I dont think its a good idea.

A good suppressor will fix that problem.

Back to the original "problem." I only hear the sproing sound when I'm shooting my A2 stocked AR. With the others, I'm not hearing it. Weird.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Seen it my friend.

Guy came in the shop and had literally packed about half a cup of grease in the Receier Extension and at least a tablespoon in the FCG pocket in the Lower.

:sad20: I have seen that kind of stuff too!

All you need to do is wipe a little grease on the spring with your finger. Problem solved.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I sprayed a little Ballistol on the spring and in the tube and the noise seems to be much quieter, but have not had the chance to shoot it yet to try it out. Also use just Ballistol to lube and clean the gun. I know Chad recommends synthetic motor oil but the Ballistol seems to work fine for what little shooting I do.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Y’all tried the strike industries flat wire springs or the spikes tactical anodized heavy buffer?

They seem like they would help.

Sprinco springs are what Clandestine recommends. Great springs. They have a guide on their horrible website on which of their springs works for which application.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I have heard not to lubricate the spring as that attracts and hold dirt but I have always used grease and never had a problem.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Y’all tried the strike industries flat wire springs or the spikes tactical anodized heavy buffer?

They seem like they would help.

I wouldn't take a chance with anything sold by Strike. Plenty of other solid chocies available. The Tubb flat spring is not that expensive.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Read the reviews of the JP springs. They are known to fail and not recommended. The Tubb Flat Springs work great and are fairly quiet.

Is that the silent capture spring or their normal flat ground spring or what ever they call it?

I have a scs in my 308 and it’s smooth as butter. That paired with there low mass carrier and a tuned slr block, it is a joy to shoot. I also have their flat spring in my 6.8 that seems to work quietly but I hav’nt read reviews on any of them lately.

My 10.5” 300 blk is way over gassed with supers even unsuppressed so I may be looking for a better spring and buffer set up along with a adj gb.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I have heard not to lubricate the spring as that attracts and hold dirt but I have always used grease and never had a problem.

It's a good idea to lube them to help prevent corrosion as well. That's one reason I prefer Tubb. They are made from stainless and less prone to corrosion.

From what I understand, as long as you keep a coating of lube on Sprinco they will be fine. They're also easier to remove for inspection as they are like a traditional spring so that should be easy to monitor.

The question has also come up as to why Sprinco doesn't make flat buffer springs. According to Sprinco, they say that springs that size can have weak spots due to the difficulty associated with making a flat spring. I haven't heard a response from Tubb. From what I've seen, very few people have had issues with either spring so I would run them both with confidence.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I've always enjoyed the sound of the buffer spring. As outrider said, if you don't hear that sound, there's a good chance you're empty. :)

Agree. It's an intrinsically sensed behavior of the AR.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone complaining about it. I'm quite mortified.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Agree. It's an intrinsically sensed behavior of the AR.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone complaining about it. I'm quite mortified.

It’s not a big deal until you suppress a rifle, especially 300 blk or 9mm shooting subs. The buffer sounds louder than everything else and it’s very annoying.

I have the JP SCS in several of my guns including my completion rifle that sees 1000s of rounds a year. No issues other than using the weakest spring on my 300 blk rifle being a little weak to chamber a round after a long session of suppressed shooting and a VERY dirty gun

m_ev

Mar 22, 2013
    I use a Geissele Automatics Super 42 Braided Buffer Spring and H2 buffer in my BCM pistol and it does reduce the noise [the twang] and actually makes it feel like it shoots smoother.
    No scratchy noise when manually operating the BCG either.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I use a Geissele Automatics Super 42 Braided Buffer Spring and H2 buffer in my BCM pistol and it does reduce the noise [the twang] and actually makes it feel like it shoots smoother.
    No scratchy noise when manually operating the BCG either.

Same here. Recommended.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Your ear is fairly close to a spring that is being slammed backward by a block of steel from a controlled explosion.

You can try a JP silent Buffer spring (not much luck with them so I witched to A5 VLTOR).

I that don't work pick up an AK or piston AR.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    ill probably give the geissele a try in the near future. Ill compare it to the strike industries flat wire spring with the spikes tactical t-2 buffer i bought to go with it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I wouldn't take a chance with anything sold by Strike. Plenty of other solid chocies available. The Tubb flat spring is not that expensive.

I bought aa Strike Industries one, I could find the Tubbs anywhere for some reason Tubbs site and my usual shopping sites did not have any. Tried a strikes its not bad I only have had 1000 rounds through the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom