How to shoot outdoors in Central Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WesC

Aug 11, 2023
    Howard County
    I'm a relatively new gun owner from Howard County and the only ranges that I know of around here are all indoor, which kind of sucks because I want to try longer distance rifle shooting. I saw a few clubs on the interactive map but they all have different requirements for membership, what should I do if I just want an outdoor range or shooting area to frequent?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Bertfish is right. From Howard County, the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore is kind of a no-brainer. I drive an hour from Harford to get there...you should be closer.
    Before you can get a range badge, you have to join one of the clubs associated with the range. Our own Maryland Shall Issue just happens to be one of those clubs. If you aren't a member already anyway, you should be.
    www.marylandshallissue.org

WesC

Aug 11, 2023
    Howard County
    Bertfish is right. From Howard County, the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore is kind of a no-brainer. I drive an hour from Harford to get there...you should be closer.
    Before you can get a range badge, you have to join one of the clubs associated with the range. Our own Maryland Shall Issue just happens to be one of those clubs. If you aren't a member already anyway, you should be.
    www.marylandshallissue.org
    How do you join MSI? Besides paying the annual fee, do I have to attend some sort of orientation?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    How do you join MSI? Besides paying the annual fee, do I have to attend some sort of orientation?
    Nope, just hit the web site and pay/join. You‘ll end up with an MSI membership card. Then go do the membership dance at AGC.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You‘ll end up with an MSI membership card.

If you print it out and laminate it yourself.

Then as noted, you'll have to attend an orientation at the range and pay for your range badge. I think you can get a half-price range badge since the year is half over.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

Another vote for AGC from a HoCo deplorable.

You can Join MSI and/or any of the other clubs.

Joining AGC is a two step process.

Step 1: Join a club such as MSI or one that floats your boat.

Step 2: Attend range orientation and pay for range badge.

Each club handles the range orientation piece differently and on different schedules.

I think AGC offers a range orientation as well for a small cost.

Shooting outdoors is awesome even when hot or cold compared to indoors IMHO.

Been a member of AGC for about 10 years and never had to wait for a lane…

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are several Isaak Walton Leagues within your reach as well. They are a conservation organization(you will be required to assist in some of their projects) and they have ranges as well. Their ranges are not normally very crowded.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Join the Meade Rifle and Pistol Club and you can shoot outdoors right next to Piney Orchard. $25 a year but members have to enter and leave the range as a group. We have the range usually one weekend a month.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I just had to think for a moment where I would go if I wanted to shoot indoor. Only done that three times and it seems really weird to me. Once the horses leave for FL this winter I might set up something in the indoor arena.
    Sorry, off topic but heck, sunday morning ... now where the hell did I leave my truck

GunJunkie91

Aug 13, 2023
    Maryland
    I'm a relatively new gun owner from Howard County and the only ranges that I know of around here are all indoor, which kind of sucks because I want to try longer distance rifle shooting. I saw a few clubs on the interactive map but they all have different requirements for membership, what should I do if I just want an outdoor range or shooting area to frequent?
    To be honest, you will have to look outside of Central Maryland. You might have to look to Southern, Eastern or Western Maryland. Hell, you might have to go to West Virginia.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks for all the replies, I think joining an AGC affiliate club is the move for me
    Some of the associated clubs have their own requirements, meeting attendance, work crews, etc. Some have none. Probably easiest would be MSI.
    I belong to Garrison R&P, they don’t require anything but the $22 annual fee.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thanks for all the replies, I think joining an AGC affiliate club is the move for me
    But wait, there's more.... AGC also has action shooting events that you can attend as a non member. Of course it's cheaper if you are a member. I'm shooting a falling steel match this Saturday.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Join the Meade Rifle and Pistol Club and you can shoot outdoors right next to Piney Orchard. $25 a year but members have to enter and leave the range as a group. We have the range usually one weekend a month.
    Interesting. How do they divvy up the lanes to the members?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Interesting. How do they divvy up the lanes to the members?
    Rifle range when I was there last month they’d have two shooters at a time shooting at two different groups of targets. Pistol ranges, there are no lanes. Bring your own paper, steel, whatever, and shoot till the range is cold.

Feb 28, 2013
    To be honest, you will have to look outside of Central Maryland. You might have to look to Southern, Eastern or Western Maryland. Hell, you might have to go to West Virginia.
    Best place I can think of for somebody that dont wanna jump through the AGC hoops is the one out there where our hooligan gang hangs out

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But that would involve driving right past a substantially similar DNR range 1 hr and 2 minutes closer at Green Ridge .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom