How to ship small firearm collection to MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    There is NO WAY I would ship my guns if I could just bring them myself. When I moved I cased or boxed as many as I could and wrapped the rest in blankets and then carefully loaded them close to the nose of the truck. They were perfectly safe and secure and I knew where they were at all times. And I drove them 1100 miles like that. As long as nobody stole the entire truck I was good.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is NO WAY I would ship my guns if I could just bring them myself. When I moved I cased or boxed as many as I could and wrapped the rest in blankets and then carefully loaded them close to the nose of the truck. They were perfectly safe and secure and I knew where they were at all times. And I drove them 1100 miles like that. As long as nobody stole the entire truck I was good.

This seems to be the best way IMO as well. No muss no fuss, no expense.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    HE asked about FFL to FFL shipping. NOT about shipping to himself.

If the FFL there wants $25 each and $25 each to ship them that is $50 per for $600 since he has 12. Most FFL's I know around here want $50 each to receive them, that is another $600 (50x12=600).

What he asked about vs what he does are 2 different things. Could drive them here himself for $0.

Maybe he did not KNOW he could ship to himself.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    you cannot send the handguns USPS. Only FFL's can ship USPS

only B & C are viable

Bud's Gun Shop has a service that THEY are the shipper, but you drop off the package using USPS.

That could be used to ship handguns to himself.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I have decided I will drive them. The reason I was a little adverse to it is because the traditional route from Providence to Baltimore goes straight through New York City. I have never been pulled over going this way (and I used to live in NYC) *knocks on wood* but I just wanted to err on the side of caution.

I had read so many posts about people avoiding driving through New York with their guns because of the crazy laws there. But I did find a route where I can avoid driving through the city so I am going to plan on doing that.

Having to get an HQL to pick up my guns from an FFL in Maryland would be a huge inconvenience to say the least.

Thanks again for all the input!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I have decided I will drive them. The reason I was a little adverse to it is because the traditional route from Providence to Baltimore goes straight through New York City. I have never been pulled over going this way (and I used to live in NYC) *knocks on wood* but I just wanted to err on the side of caution.

I had read so many posts about people avoiding driving through New York with their guns because of the crazy laws there. But I did find a route where I can avoid driving through the city so I am going to plan on doing that.

Having to get an HQL to pick up my guns from an FFL in Maryland would be a huge inconvenience to say the least.

Thanks again for all the input!
    I would be just as worried about NJ. But you can avoid them by going west and driving through Pa.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Avoid NYC and NJ. Take 81 from NY state south. Continuing on 81 will take you to Hagarstown. 83 south from Harrisburg will take you to Baltimore.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    The OP has made his decision, and I agree it's the best one.

But for sake of continuing the topic, a little story:

A family member sent me a small box by USPS that contained something that was prohibited. It was already on it's way when I found out. I was fully expecting trouble at the door upon it's arrival. Marked "Fragile" and "Family Heirloom", the carrier left it on the doorstep, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Better believe I was sweating bullets for a few days. :innocent0

I know it was stated earlier in a reply, but here's the link for non-licensed USPS shipping:
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Edit:
    To j_h_smith's point about shipping them to yourself, that section does not say how or by whom to ship:
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...s-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The OP has made his decision, and I agree it's the best one.

But for sake of continuing the topic, a little story:

A family member sent me a small box by USPS that contained something that was prohibited. It was already on it's way when I found out. I was fully expecting trouble at the door upon it's arrival. Marked "Fragile" and "Family Heirloom", the carrier left it on the doorstep, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Better believe I was sweating bullets for a few days. :innocent0

I know it was stated earlier in a reply, but here's the link for non-licensed USPS shipping:
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

I think I'd delete this!
    :innocent0

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Avoid NYC and NJ. Take 81 from NY state south. Continuing on 81 will take you to Hagarstown. 83 south from Harrisburg will take you to Baltimore.
    I would listen to this. Definitely avoid Manhattan (you can jog around on 95, but cutting into PA and avoiding NJ as noted above will be far less stressful - you're saving the cost of shipping the firearms so who cares about a little longer drive). I wouldn't be surprised if they occasionally image trucks entering Manhattan through tunnels/bridges.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I am a new member here and have recently received my HQL. Some of the suggestions brought up here have me thinking about the discussions we had in my HQL class. The option of mailing them to yourself was never brought up in the discussion about moving to MD. The only option give was an FFL in the home state would need to send to an FFL in MD. They also mentioned to talk to the receiving FFL first to make sure that the gun was even legal in MD. I saw mentioned here that they would still need to be registered here so wouldn't that involve an HQL as well? Thanks for putting up with my questions.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    UPDATE I made it to Maryland safe and sound with all my guns while driving. I took 84 to 81 to 83 all the way down. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Driving was definitely the right decision. Now hoarding all these standard and high capacity magazines while I was living in RI is going to finally pay off. While I was in RI I was constantly picking up AR15 mags, glock mags, sig mags, and pretty much any other type of magazine for the handguns I own.

The guns were all locked and ammo was all locked in separate containers. The most nerve-racking part was driving the 60 miles or so through New York state which is the only state where I saw multiple speed traps and a deer was about to run in front of my car but thankfully stopped right where the shoulder of the road started. Hitting a deer would have been detrimental to my drive.

Also, New York state is one of the states that only allows FOPA as an affirmative defense AFTER you've already been arrested for firearm charges. So you're still getting an arrest whether you're doing something recognized as legal Federally, which is a huge inconvenience and I have no idea what happens to your guns and the cost of a lawyer, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom