• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rleepremier

Feb 2, 2012
    I have a friend who has 2 of his deceased stepfathers handguns. The guns were never transferred to his name because the death was so sudden. Now he doesn't want to keep the guns anymore and wishes to sell them. How can he do so legally? Thanks for any help.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Ahh its not that simple.

First, how did your friend come by the guns? Did he inherit them or does he possess them as the executor of his father's estate?

Second, does his father's will (if any) say anything about the guns?

Third, is the estate still in process or has it been a while and the estate is now closed?

Fourth, what type of firearms are they and how much does he want for them?

As executor, he is able to dispose of the property in accordance with the estate, state law, and federal law. As an individual, if he possesses them as such, he can sell them as if he would any other "regulated" firearm.

Rleepremier

Feb 2, 2012
    There was no will and the estate has been closed. They're a .357 and a .22. Basically his stepfather passes out of the blue and he found them in the basement and kept them in his safe. So I believe they're still registered to his deceased stepfather.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If they are old, there may be no paperwork/ registration on them. BUT, they still need to be transferred legally.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    There was no will and the estate has been closed. They're a .357 and a .22. Basically his stepfather passes out of the blue and he found them in the basement and kept them in his safe. So I believe they're still registered to his deceased stepfather.

Hmmm, this can be complicated but easy at the same time. In the interest of educating the forum:

1. Did your friend's father have a living spouse or anyone that could claim under his estate that might possibly want the firearms?

2. If not, it would seem he is free to sell them. All sales would have to comply with Maryland law of course.

Rleepremier

Feb 2, 2012
    He was married to my friends mom at the time. So how does his mom go about claiming them under his estate?

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    He was married to my friends mom at the time. So how does his mom go about claiming them under his estate?

At this point, your friend should probably contact me directly to discuss this. As much as I love helping forum members out, I cannot continue this conversation in a detailed fashion without speaking directly with your friend. The initial consult is free so he has no risk up front giving me call. I'll PM you with my info.

Thanks.

MEGALUG

Aug 13, 2009
    Harford County
    At this point, your friend should probably contact me directly to discuss this. As much as I love helping forum members out, I cannot continue this conversation in a detailed fashion without speaking directly with your friend. The initial consult is free so he has no risk up front giving me call. I'll PM you with my info.

Thanks.

This is why I like tuis forum........always willing to help. Good on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom