• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I shot a bunch of .30-06 bearing the headstamp "K 70." This appears to be from the Kynoch munitions plant in England, but I'm not 100% certain.

The primers do not appear to be staked in the military fashion. How can I tell whether the primers are Berdan or Boxer? I don't want to bend a decapping unit.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    images (1).jpeg
    As mentioned by Doco and Wilcam above.

Case on Left is Berdan primed.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Turn the empty case over and peer into with a strong flashlight.
    If you can see two small flash holes astride the center of the web , it’s Berdan primed.
    Great, thanks. I didn't think it was possible to peer down into the case and get enough light on the bottom due to the narrow neck. I'll give it a try.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    They may have not staked the original primers. Do they have any sealant on them?

But yes, pulling a bullet and looking inside is the easiest way to tell if it’s Berdan. I don’t think it was ever economical for reloaders in the US to convert Berdan .30/06 brass to Boxer, so it’s likely still Berdan.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    They may have not staked the original primers. Do they have any sealant on them?

But yes, pulling a bullet and looking inside is the easiest way to tell if it’s Berdan. I don’t think it was ever economical for reloaders in the US to convert Berdan .30/06 brass to Boxer, so it’s likely still Berdan.
    Also, Berdan primered ammo is usually corrosive

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland

Oh, I'm not looking to convert them if they're Berdan. I just don't want to break a decapping unit.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Oh, I'm not looking to convert them if they're Berdan. I just don't want to break a decapping unit.
    As far as I know, all Kynoch .30/06 was Berdan.
    Also, Berdan primered ammo is usually corrosive
    That’s true in many calibers of the era, but most Berdan .30/06 is noncorrosive, like Norwegian AYP, Danish AMA, Dutch NWM, post-57 FN, German MEN, and Austrian OJP after a certain year. Kynoch used some noncorrosive primers too.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Carefully measure the diameters.
    Berdan & boxer are not the same diameter.
    There's a large & small Berdan, similar to, but different from large or small Boxer.

If you have a bore-scope use that to look down inside.
    If you have a mag light or similar with a fiber optic that works too.
    Slim penlights or bore lights work too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Carefully measure the diameters.
    Berdan & boxer are not the same diameter.
    There's a large & small Berdan, similar to, but different from large or small Boxer.

If you have a bore-scope use that to look down inside.
    If you have a mag light or similar with a fiber optic that works too.
    Slim penlights or bore lights work too.
    Or just a reasonably bright overhead light or work light on your reloading bench. Or just take them outside in to the daylight.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Take one fired case and stick a sharp pointed object into the primer and pry it out, then compare it to the pictures in post #4.

Reloading Berdan primers links

Video

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Take one fired case and stick a sharp pointed object into the primer and pry it out, then compare it to the pictures in post #4.

Reloading Berdan primers links

Video

Thanks for the links, looks like an interesting way to approach the problems with reloading berdan, but I wonder whether it makes sense to try to reload corrosive. Perhaps a good washing would make the cases better for reloading.

Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States
    Thanks for the links, looks like an interesting way to approach the problems with reloading berdan, but I wonder whether it makes sense to try to reload corrosive. Perhaps a good washing would make the cases better for reloading.

Depends on what you mean as corrosive. Corrosive Berdan primed ammo? Probably not but that is a function of the Berdan primer. Plus there is so much boxer brass out there it doesn't make much sense to worry about Berdan brass. I stopped pulling my hair out over Swiss GP11 brass when I got a couple thousand cases of RUAG brass.

Corrosive Boxer primed ammo? You bet. Have at it. Clean your gun in the proper manner and then deprime and water/steel pin your brass. Or steel pin/water your brass and then deprime. Your call. Reload until the brass wears out.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I wet tumble my brass and have never had an issue with corrosively primed USGI .30/06 brass. The primer pockets and insides of the cases remain a little green after cleaning, but subsequent firings with noncorrosive primers have not rusted the bores, so the salts must be gone.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    The only ammo I have that I know is both berdan and corrosive is old .303 British, I have plenty of boxer primed .303 but thought at some point I may need the berdan stuff and in the past I've shot some and just tossed the brass and thought this may be a good way to reload some of it if needed. Some of my 7.62x39 may be berdan as well and this gear from the post above may help with that as well. Don't have a wet tumbler only an old lyman vibrator with dry media so washing several times and letting it dry and then maybe tumbling might work for me.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The only ammo I have that I know is both berdan and corrosive is old .303 British, I have plenty of boxer primed .303 but thought at some point I may need the berdan stuff and in the past I've shot some and just tossed the brass and thought this may be a good way to reload some of it if needed. Some of my 7.62x39 may be berdan as well and this gear from the post above may help with that as well. Don't have a wet tumbler only an old lyman vibrator with dry media so washing several times and letting it dry and then maybe tumbling might work for me.
    Not sure if you got them backwards, but most surplus ammo that’s Berdan is also corrosive. Almost all imported 7.62x39 is Berdan too, like all the Russian, Chinese, Romanian, etc. notable exceptions are the current brass cased stuff from Serbia and Bosnia.

1703973617949.jpeg

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Other than the surplus .303 I have everything else is in boxer primed cases except for a stock of 7.62x39 I have not shot any of and I have read some of this is berdan but not corrosive. Perhaps I'll find it is corrosive, but I can wait till then to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom