• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    OP is under 21 and plans to get the hell out of Maryland after graduating college. It's a bummer I won't be able to shoot 3 gun because of the lack of an AR-15. Fortunately, by the time my budget would even allow me to own that many guns, I'll be outta here! :D

AAF&G runs pistol caliber three gun. 15-22's welcome.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The High Power shooting seems very appealing, though!

You should check out some of the clubs at AGC. Many of them provide club rifles for members to use.

I do some work with the college park (UMD) rifle club and put together a milsurp team to shoot at the eastern games last year. I'd be more than happy to take you up to AGC and show you the basics of high power.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Free Sept 21st?

Hey, the FNH 3-Gun at PTNC will have a USPSA side match on 9/21/13. If you're free you could check out both events in the same day.

Goodluck

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Shooting 3-gun without already having some good shooting skills is not a good idea, unless you can line up a personal trainer. Think about acquiring a decent 9mm like an M&P 9, XDm, or Glock 17 and start shooting either IDPA or USPSA matches. These skills will directly translate into 3-gun. Even shooting trap, skeet, or sporting clays will help develop your shotgun skills without even getting to do a 3-gun match. 3 main skills are shooting the pistol accurately, shooting the AR fast, and reloading the shotgun. Lots of dryfire practice and lots of reloading practice with the shotgun can all be done at home. Safely of course. Some of the best current shooters simulate shooting up to as much as 1000 rounds per day. And that can also be done with a .22.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    good info

OP just be careful. Once you get to competing.... its like a drug. Rifle turns into IDPA then turns into getting your kids involved.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Shooting 3-gun without already having some good shooting skills is not a good idea, unless you can line up a personal trainer. Think about acquiring a decent 9mm like an M&P 9, XDm, or Glock 17 and start shooting either IDPA or USPSA matches. These skills will directly translate into 3-gun. Even shooting trap, skeet, or sporting clays will help develop your shotgun skills without even getting to do a 3-gun match. 3 main skills are shooting the pistol accurately, shooting the AR fast, and reloading the shotgun. Lots of dryfire practice and lots of reloading practice with the shotgun can all be done at home. Safely of course. Some of the best current shooters simulate shooting up to as much as 1000 rounds per day. And that can also be done with a .22.
    Agreed, I think USPSA/IDPA would be a great place to start. You will also meet a lot of 3-gun shooters at these matches.

aceeyeed

15 years worth
    Aug 2, 2013
    Owings Mills MD
    I have a complete guide for 3 Gun and USPSA online might help

Hi, I agree with most posts and start with the handgun.

Then Rifle - Close in and out to 200 yards. Shotgun is all about reloading.
    and having a large tube.

your Competing against yourself at first. Always get video!

As for cost- Hardware can be as inexpensive as handgun $500, Rifle $800 and Shotgun 350. Of course more for more features. Having expensive firearms will not equate to better scores. It is the basics. firearm must run clean. I use glock 17, Mossberg pump 5+1, SKS (1963) The most cheapest setup around.

Ammo - USPSA about 40$ a match + match fee 20$ apx.
    3 gun - 75$ + fees

for 2 matches a month and training - I need 500 rds 9mm. min

I shot mainly handgun for 15 years. Some multigun ie rifle shotgun 1 x a year.

This year I decided to do 3 gun and had to learn the rifle. You can make as much as a 50% improvement in 2 months. I put in 20 hours on the range practice. 5 hrs dry fire, and 1 match.

I put the free guide up with rules, vids from experts, etc. it may help you get an idea of what is involved. I post my good bad and ugly ie lessons learned from each match. It can help you develop a plan.
    http://firearm.skidome.org/Fireover_3gun.htm

This is movie HD that include 9 stages- 5 Pistol/Rifle and 4 Shotgun/Rifle
    from sunday.http://youtu.be/auA6sUno0K4

Main thing SAFETY, FUN, Exercise.
    good luck

MCTRV

Mar 2, 2011
    I have to give this 3 gun thing a try. I just need a 9mm & im in . Sounds like alot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom