• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Hello everyone and good morning. I acquired a few RCBS rifle dies from a friend (243, 30/30, 30/06). They have some surface rust on the outside...not sure about the insides. What is the best way to clean and inspect them? Thank you for any help and suggestions.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Outside, I'd either leave alone or wipe with a oily rag. If severe, I might want to use steel wool.

Inside, I'd leave alone other than spray with brake parts cleaner to degunk whatever is left inside. I would not use any oil based lubricant inside unless I planned to apply more brake parts cleaner to get it out.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Hello everyone and good morning. I acquired a few RCBS rifle dies from a friend (243, 30/30, 30/06). They have some surface rust on the outside...not sure about the insides. What is the best way to clean and inspect them? Thank you for any help and suggestions.

On the outside, use Kano-Kroil and a BRASS brush (looks like a toothbrush - get at a hardware store or HD).

Inside, you can used Kano-Kroil and 800 to 1,000 grit wet/dry paper to remove the rust, but, you need to get all of the stuff out, then follow-up with CLP and let it sit in the dies for a while, then wipe out (as much as you possibly can).

Use some brass cases that you're not worried about, to see IF there is still some rust inside.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    On the outside, use Kano-Kroil and a BRASS brush (looks like a toothbrush - get at a hardware store or HD).

Inside, you can used Kano-Kroil and 800 to 1,000 grit wet/dry paper to remove the rust, but, you need to get all of the stuff out, then follow-up with CLP and let it sit in the dies for a while, then wipe out (as much as you possibly can).

Use some brass cases that you're not worried about, to see IF there is still some rust inside.

Is CLP good to use to clean a brand new powder measure, before use?

Mulchman

Jan 19, 2014
    Williamsport
    I've tossed mine in the tumbler with walnut media before. Left them in overnight after I disassembled them. To polish the inside I use fine steel wool. Kinda like polishing the inside of a brake cylinder. If the rust inside has pitted the metal, they are probably ruined. You could try them on old brass and see if it scratches like by suggested. IMO they aren't that expensive to have a good set.

Mulchman

Jan 19, 2014
    Williamsport
    As for inspecting them, after you dissemble...use a bright light and a very sophisticated detection device called an EYEBALL to visually look for irregularities. It should look like a shinny mirrored surface. Kinda like inspecting the bore of your rifle after cleaning. You can pick up something as small as a speck of dust with that.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You can send them back to RCBS with $5 for return shipping to have them polished inside and out. I had to send my .30/06 FL die back to have a stuck case with a torn rim removed and they polished it as well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Have you taken them apart yet? It's easier to inspect the inside of the resizing die with the decapping stuff out of the die. RCBS dies are pretty easy to disassemble, just do them one at a time so you don't get things mixed up.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

I'm don't know if it's a good idea to have powder in contact with CLP, even small amounts. Frankly, it never occurred to me to clean a new powder measure.

byf43

In a word...... No!

CLP and gunpowder don't work well, together.

IF you must clean a new powder measure -
    1. Disassemble it, completely.
    2. Wash in HOT water using dishwashing detergent.
    3. Rinse in HOT water.
    4. Dry with a clean, lint-free cloth and let the parts sit under a lamp for a few hours, to make certain it is dry.
    5. Reassemble.

One word of caution.
    I left my Uniflow Powder Measure (RCBS) half full of Hercules (now Alliant) Bullseye powder, after I got done loading.
    I came back to the reloading room the next evening, and dumped the powder back into the container.

The chemicals in the powder 'etched' the sides/walls of the powder measure, and 'stuck' to the sides.

I had to disassemble the powder measure and wash (as described above), then used 000 steel wool 'rigged up' in a wooden dowel and ran the steel wool with a drill to 'hone' the sides smooth.

I darned near ruined that old powder measure, with the Bullseye powder being left in there.

Never again. When I'm done for the session, everything gets put away!!!!!

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    No CLP

Petroleum products will cause the powder to stick to the apparatus (and may degrade the powder performance if there is enough).
    If you feel that you must clean a new measure, after you disassemble and clean the powder measure (per byf43 above), you might dust it with some fine mica powder (available from Midway and others for dry lubing the inside of case necks). Graphite powder (dry lube from the auto parts store) will work also.
    In general, I don't clean a new measure, but I do dust with mica. I did have a new Redding powder measure that was coated in some sort of petroleum preservative product and that got cleaned with a water based gun cleaner, dried, and dusted.
    Someone on this forum uses a used dryer sheet for the same but the graphite or mica might get to hard to reach places. I have used those dryer sheets on funnels that I use in transferring powder and on my scale pans and it does help to prevent the powder from sticking.
    DocAitch

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thank you both for the info. I just got a new Redding powder measure and the instructions said to "clean the new measure before use" of course no details or anything! I think I'll just wipe everything down real good and use the graphite. I wasn't sure whether Redding put anything on there that I would need to get off before use.(doesn't seem to be anything there)

byf43

Thank you both for the info. I just got a new Redding powder measure and the instructions said to "clean the new measure before use" of course no details or anything! I think I'll just wipe everything down real good and use the graphite. I wasn't sure whether Redding put anything on there that I would need to get off before use.(doesn't seem to be anything there)

I have NO IDEA if Redding uses anything/any preservative in their powder measures, before boxing/shipping.

Wiping the insides w/ a dryer sheet (after washing/drying) MAY help with static and the powder clinging to the inside of the hopper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom