• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    Hey guys I'm going to try and keep this simple....
    I found out about the Keltec KSG today while in the shop......
    I REALLY like it lol.....but its being sold for $1000

I found it for 750-850 online........

What do I do?

I figure 800+ 75$ transfer is still cheaper than 1000 + tax......

Any thoughts or how I should go about it? Gun was found on grabagun and gunbroker - thanks!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    It's fairly simple. Have the FFL where you want the gun shipped to either e-mail or fax a copy of their FFL to the place you're buying it from. Once they have that and your payment, they'll ship it. Your job is to find a dependable FFL who won't charge you an arm and a leg in transfer fees, is open regular business hours, etc.

Not sure where you live but 2A in Jessup let me transfer a gun I bought off gunbroker earlier this Summer and it was no hassle at all.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

What do I do?

Any thoughts or how I should go about it? Gun was found on grabagun and gunbroker - thanks!

Who the hell is charging you $75 for a transfer? It's only costing me $35 for a handgun. I think you need to find a different FFL

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

What do I do?

Step 1. Find a local FFL who will do the transfer for you. Call, tell them what you are buying, and find out how much they'd charge for a transfer. You can find an industry partner here, or locate a FFL you prefer, like from here; https://fflgundealers.net/

Step 2. Order the item you want from the place online. Different places have different methods, but you can pay credit, or mail in a money order. Mark it with your order number, and item. Give them the info regarding your FFL.

Step 3. Contact the FFL you have selected and ask them to send their FFL info to the place where you bought the gun. I usually print out a spare order page so they have all the info, order number, item to be expecting, etc.

Step 4. Send payment if you didn't pay via credit.

Step 5. Your FFL should call you when your gun arrives. Sometimes they get busy, so if you have tracking data, use that, and maybe call your FFL the day AFTER it was delivered, so they have time to log in the guns, and unpack them. Near an election, they may be very busy.

Step 6. when you go to pick up your gun, ask your FFL if you can inspect it first. If everything looks good, fill out your background check form, and pay. If something is wrong with the gun, or package damage, I would not complete the transfer, and contact the seller. Then go from there.

Step 7. Sneak it into the house past the wife. When everyone is asleep, take pictures, and post them on MDShooters.com.

If I missed anything, I apologize. I got up early, and tired.

WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    Who the hell is charging you $75 for a transfer? It's only costing me $35 for a handgun. I think you need to find a different FFL

I live in Montgomery County.....everything costs more here :tdown:

I may have to leave the county to find decent FFL transfers....I only asked one shop though, I will call around to the other few shops around here.

I decided against the Kel Tec though, but buying online generally seems cheaper.....

Is that usually the case for all guns?

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Step 1. Find a local FFL who will do the transfer for you. Call, tell them what you are buying, and find out how much they'd charge for a transfer. You can find an industry partner here, or locate a FFL you prefer, like from here; https://fflgundealers.net/

Step 2. Order the item you want from the place online. Different places have different methods, but you can pay credit, or mail in a money order. Mark it with your order number, and item. Give them the info regarding your FFL.

Step 3. Contact the FFL you have selected and ask them to send their FFL info to the place where you bought the gun. I usually print out a spare order page so they have all the info, order number, item to be expecting, etc.

Step 4. Send payment if you didn't pay via credit.

Step 5. Your FFL should call you when your gun arrives. Sometimes they get busy, so if you have tracking data, use that, and maybe call your FFL the day AFTER it was delivered, so they have time to log in the guns, and unpack them. Near an election, they may be very busy.

Step 6. when you go to pick up your gun, ask your FFL if you can inspect it first. If everything looks good, fill out your background check form, and pay. If something is wrong with the gun, or package damage, I would not complete the transfer, and contact the seller. Then go from there.

Step 7. Sneak it into the house past the wife. When everyone is asleep, take pictures, and post them on MDShooters.com.

If I missed anything, I apologize. I got up early, and tired.

You forgot the mandatory MDS toe in the pic.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    I live in Montgomery County.....everything costs more here :tdown:

I may have to leave the county to find decent FFL transfers....I only asked one shop though, I will call around to the other few shops around here.

I decided against the Kel Tec though, but buying online generally seems cheaper.....

Is that usually the case for all guns?

Dollarwise it appears to be cheaper when you buy online. When you consider that you still need a local place to fondle guns and facilitate your transfer, the price gap narrows.

Add in the fact that if you have a problem, or need advice about what you are shopping for in a new gun, the price gap is almost closed now.

Local FFL holders need to eat too! Your guy in MOCO may have a policy in place that he charges more for transfers for guns he could just as easily supply or have in stock already.

Saving a couple hundred on a gun mail order isnt a crime.

Making a profit on a retail sale for the FFL isnt a crime either.

I bought my first one local, saw a helluva deal that my then ffl couldnt touch, so i mail ordered that one. My next purchase is going to be local because i have visited the shop a few times to learn and such.

DadOSix

/fatherly advice mode off.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For currently produced, relatively mainstream, modern firearms , unless it is a really screaming deal/ close out, shipping and transfer fees usually make it close. Meanwhile negeoating with local FFL is allowed ( and used to be the norm).

For used, vintage, and truely rare or unusual, you'll probably have to get transfered.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can also contact some of the IPs on MDS and ask about a special order.

Many times they will give you a break if you order something, as they know it will come in and be sold immediately.

Also, develop a relationship with a local shop. My local shop will beat the Gun Broker price + shipping + transfer fee. They still make some money and everyone is happy.

WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    Dollarwise it appears to be cheaper when you buy online. When you consider that you still need a local place to fondle guns and facilitate your transfer, the price gap narrows.

Add in the fact that if you have a problem, or need advice about what you are shopping for in a new gun, the price gap is almost closed now.

Local FFL holders need to eat too! Your guy in MOCO may have a policy in place that he charges more for transfers for guns he could just as easily supply or have in stock already.

Saving a couple hundred on a gun mail order isnt a crime.

Making a profit on a retail sale for the FFL isnt a crime either.

I bought my first one local, saw a helluva deal that my then ffl couldnt touch, so i mail ordered that one. My next purchase is going to be local because i have visited the shop a few times to learn and such.

DadOSix

/fatherly advice mode off.

Thank you! Thats the conclusion I came to.

on the gunbroker website they have a page that lists FFL dealers (at least those that signed up with GB) and what they charge for transferring short and long guns, just put in your zip or state.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
    Thanks this actually may make saving some $ a little easier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom