• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What is defined as "Professional Activities"? If you don't mind me asking.

Armed guard, pharmacist, whatever else they feel like approving someone for any given day. Essentially, things you do for a job that could be seen as putting you in danger and needing protection.

There is NO standard. Some folks get them (with restrictions), others don't.

Johnshaw65

Jun 22, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I emailed MSP yesterday and got back a reply today. I am a Virginia licensed Private Investigator with an armed endorsement to carry. I often will start a surveillance case in VA and finish it in MD. I also advised I served subpoenas in MD as well. They said it would be easier if I applied for my MD Private Detective license, which would make it easier to get my CHP. If I didn't get licensed as a PI in MD (need 5 years experience), MSP would grant my CHP as a VA PI, with work restrictions, under professional activities for the GSR.
    John
    Annapolis, MD

tsphillips

Mar 4, 2012
    Finksburg
    Handgun Permit, reasons

For those wondering what a good and substantial reason is, here is what is listed in the licensing and permit application (http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=K-ZiNlzmEe4=&tabid=429&mid=1072).

Additional documents required per Handgun Permit Category:
    1. Owner or Employee of a Business: Submit photocopies of the Traders License or Business License, and if the
    purpose of the permit is for:
    (a) Making deposits: Photocopies of six (6) random deposit slips for the business showing the deposits within a
    year of the application submission date or a letter from the bank attesting that your business has a
    monetary flow;
    (b) Cash Flow: Photocopies of ten (10) receipts showing purchases for supplies and/or payments received for
    services; or
    (c) Requesting a permit for one of your employees, or if you are an employee and you have permission from your
    employer to obtain a permit: A letter from your employer on the business stationery, explaining in detail
    why you need to carry a handgun as part of your duties.
    2. Professional Activities: Doctors, pharmacies, etc., must show evidence of legitimacy of business activity and valid
    certification or license. Additional requirements may apply.
    3. Correctional Officers: Must submit verification of employment and documentation of threats and/or assaults.
    4. Former Police Officer: If you have resigned or retired, you must show evidence of your tenure in law enforcement,
    such as a letter from your agency, and a letter from your agency indicating you left in good standing. Additional
    requirements may apply.
    5. Private Detective/Security Guard/Special Police & Railroad Police Commissions: All applicants who are employed as
    Private Detectives, Security Guards, Special Police, and Railroad Police, must submit a certification of qualification
    with a handgun from a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor on an MSP form. A copy of the form
    letter supporting “good and substantial reasons,” ownership of weapon, and location where the weapon will be
    maintained is also required. (This form can be obtained from your employer).
    6. Personal Protection: There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported
    by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

Tom

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Pretty much. MD is not currently a shall-issue State. G&S is used for near-total denial. If it were otherwise, most forum members would have a permit already and we wouldn't have CCW lawsuit threads hundreds of pages long.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Makes me sick. So if I don't own a business or transport money I have no g&s

Or,

Additional documents required per Handgun Permit Category: 1. Owner or Employee of a Business: Submit photocopies of the Traders License or Business License, and if the purpose of the permit is for: (a) Making deposits: Photocopies of six (6) random deposit slips for the business showing the deposits within a year of the application submission date or a letter from the bank attesting that your business has a monetary flow; (b) Cash Flow: Photocopies of ten (10) receipts showing purchases for supplies and/or payments received for services; or (c) Requesting a permit for one of your employees, or if you are an employee and you have permission from your employer to obtain a permit: A letter from your employer on the business stationery, explaining in detail why you need to carry a handgun as part of your duties. 2. Professional Activities: Doctors, pharmacies, etc., must show evidence of legitimacy of business activity and valid certification or license. Additional requirements may apply. 3. Correctional Officers: Must submit verification of employment and documentation of threats and/or assaults. 4. Former Police Officer: If you have resigned or retired, you must show evidence of your tenure in law enforcement, such as a letter from your agency, and a letter from your agency indicating you left in good standing. Additional requirements may apply. 5. Private Detective/Security Guard/Special Police & Railroad Police Commissions: All applicants who are employed as Private Detectives, Security Guards, Special Police, and Railroad Police, must submit a certification of qualification with a handgun from a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor on an MSP form. A copy of the form letter supporting “good and substantial reasons,” ownership of weapon, and location where the weapon will be maintained is also required. (This form can be obtained from your employer). 6. Personal Protection: There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom