• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMaryland

Sep 29, 2013
    NEW QUESTION:
    I am a small business owner of a construction company. We have trucks and equipment. We have several contract with the federal government (3 letter agencies all branches of the military). i do not have TS clearance. Do you think i have a valid reason to obtain the Maryland Carry Permit? If so would anyone recommend a good lawyer to help me with the application?

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    NEW QUESTION:
    I am a small business owner of a construction company. We have trucks and equipment. We have several contract with the federal government (3 letter agencies all branches of the military). i do not have TS clearance. Do you think i have a valid reason to obtain the Maryland Carry Permit? If so would anyone recommend a good lawyer to help me with the application?

Carrying/possessing a firearm at any Federal location would be unlawful. How do you plan to explain the need/benefit when asked by the investigator?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    thanks for the heads up PJ. my concern is my written reason may note be considered detailed enough. any suggestions on how to write a the reason based on my circumstance?
    You carry "financial instruments" such as petty cash, credit and debit cards associated with the daily operation of your business.

Your smart phone is also used for business purposes as well and contains confidential information relating to your business.

You have occasion to be in areas after dark where criminals are armed.... you feel it's only right you are also armed.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    NEW QUESTION:

You'll qualify, if you are reasonably thorough and thoughtful as you prepare your application. You'll be issued a permit with the ol' "while doing business as" restrictions. I'm guessing you're on call for your business lot/office and/or vehicle alarm systems, which is to say you're pretty much always "doing business as." That's helpful.

You don't need a lawyer at this point, but you might want to invest a pizza's worth of money and join MSI. Lots of good resources there to help you craft your G&S language, and it's a group worthy of your support if you have any interest in this area and are trapped in Maryland.

On a side note, you'd probably want to go for your DC permit, too, though remember that a lot of your agency-type customers are big no-no spots for carrying, or even having in your vehicle while parked on their grounds. Some caution is definitely called for, on that front.

Good luck. If you can live with the normal restriction language, you should be in good shape.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm as much of an arrogant smart ass in real life as I appear to be here. On my last two renewals I used ONE sentence:

"Self defense and all lawful purposes".

No reams of papers with bank statements and ******** letters from local LEO, no tax returns, no copies of receipts or deposits.........nothing.

Now then, that's probably because it was a renewal rather than original app.

BradMaryland

Sep 29, 2013
    Our office is in Joppa, MD next to the railroad tracks near Edgewood, MD. We have seen signs of homeless living in the woods behind our facility. The crime map clearly identifies Robbery, Assault, Theft etc. in our area and the police are always up and down our road responding to calls. I open and close the gate to our facility where we have construction equipment and materials stored on premise. I am also the IT manager who carries computers and equipment as needed. I am looking to keep my self safe at the office and on the road. Being a defense contractor over the years i have been uneasy for fear of being abducted for information by a terrorist. I know it is unlawful to carry on federal property. I am more concerned with travel to and from work and on other job sites.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I open and close the gate to our facility where we have construction equipment and materials stored on premise. I am also the IT manager who carries computers and equipment as needed.

This (along with the fact you have access to banking information/accounts, etc), is at least as good as many permit holders have presented as their G&S.

I am looking to keep my self safe at the office

Without getting too far into the weeds, you already can carry at your office/facility, as well as transport from home to it and back (directly, do not go bowling on the way home!) as you stand right now. Yes, that's a burdensome, annoying way to exist, but it's something to remember.

Being a defense contractor over the years i have been uneasy for fear of being abducted for information by a terrorist.

That sort of concern - absent specific reported threats and the like, and no documented connection to the proven hot-button stuff like clearance, OPM breach, etc - doesn't really get you anywhere with the MSP. If it did, a whole lot more people would have an angle on this. Stick with the earlier issues: physical control of expensive company assets, transport of IT items (which sometimes contain sensitive agency customer information!), and banking-related cards and info on your person at all times ... along with 24x7 on-call status that could have you dropping what you're doing in your personal life to redirect to work related matters at any time.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Our office is in Joppa, MD next to the railroad tracks near Edgewood, MD. We have seen signs of homeless living in the woods behind our facility. The crime map clearly identifies Robbery, Assault, Theft etc. in our area and the police are always up and down our road responding to calls. I open and close the gate to our facility where we have construction equipment and materials stored on premise. I am also the IT manager who carries computers and equipment as needed. I am looking to keep my self safe at the office and on the road. Being a defense contractor over the years i have been uneasy for fear of being abducted for information by a terrorist. I know it is unlawful to carry on federal property. I am more concerned with travel to and from work and on other job sites.
    Are you the owner? If so you are GTG.

If not will the owner write a letter stating that he wants you to be armed during the course of your duties? Also GTG.

If not I would say your odds are no better than 50/50 with what info you have given.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Something to keep in mind: your strategy needs to be Maryland-friendly, in that your concern is for your OWN LIFE, not for your company's equipment, money, etc. You're not looking to defend the facility or the materials kept there. Only your own well-being, and the safety of those with you while you're out in the world with your good and sufficient concerns.

BradMaryland

Sep 29, 2013
    One other note. i am registered with the MD State Police as a gun collector. would that help my cause for transporting guns? should i mention that or just stick to the work topic. i don't want to add more info than necessary. thoughts?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Sure, you are "bonafide collector".

As long as you have a gun with you while you're armed.... you should be GTG!

(little inside joke)

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    One other note. i am registered with the MD State Police as a gun collector. would that help my cause for transporting guns? should i mention that or just stick to the work topic. i don't want to add more info than necessary. thoughts?

Unless you're doing BUSINESS with that gun collection, skip it. Being the/an owner of your main business and source of income is enough, and will keep your application sounding a lot less, well, grasping. Keep it simple, since you perfectly fit the established profile.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    On a new app I'd probably include the stupid Collectors letter, any recent (additional) training or certs, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom