• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jolt

May 5, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'm reloading for my 30 carbine and had to switch to VV N110 since I can't find my old fav IMR4227. Really paying attention to every detail. Starting at the low 13.6 gn pushing a 100gn Speer the powder level seems pretty high. Trying just flipping the bullet around to measure, I can't get to the COAL without slight compression. Does this sound correct?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm reloading for my 30 carbine and had to switch to VV N110 since I can't find my old fav IMR4227. Really paying attention to every detail. Starting at the low 13.6 gn pushing a 100gn Speer the powder level seems pretty high. Trying just flipping the bullet around to measure, I can't get to the COAL without slight compression. Does this sound correct?

Does your data source say it's a compressed load?

Jolt

May 5, 2013
    Cecil County
    Nope, neither the VV table nor MCR. Normal water capacity of a seated bullet is listed as 15.5. Granted there is air space in powder but I'm starting at the low end.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Going back to the Vihtavuori site above, I looked at the data for .22 Hornet which is a small case and frequently calls for full case loads. Their data for one of the .22 Hornet loads has an "F" beside it indicating a "full" case. Not so with any .30 Carbine loads. I think I would email/call them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looking at Lyman's 49th

N110 on a 100gr pill, start: 12.8gr, max: 14.0gr Compressed charge.

They don't mention just how far compressed it is though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just checked Hornady 9th, but it doesn't look like they mention if a load is compressed.

Sierra shows starting load of 10.8 max of 12.3.:eek:

Jolt

May 5, 2013
    Cecil County
    Ouch!!
    I didn't think to look in my Sierra book. Mine only has loads for a 110 gn. I only have 100gn so the lower charge weights make sense when pushing a heavier bullet

Jolt

May 5, 2013
    Cecil County
    Yeah I know it sounds silly but the bullet is a fixed length regardless of which direction it goes in the mouth. The nice big round nose on the bullet easily drops down into the flared case until it hits the powder. Measure the overall length at that point is where I was coming up long and started to wonder.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    How are you dropping the powder into the case?

Dipper, funnel, powder measure? What brand and model.

Jolt

May 5, 2013
    Cecil County
    Drop short out of Lee dispenser.
    Redding trickled up to weight on digital scale, properly calibrated.
    Throw charge through Lee expander die with powder funnel attached.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    You should have sufficient drop for the powder to settle.

I checked my manuals. Two do not show it being a compressed load, but Lee 2nd shows with a 100 gr. projectile v-N110 starting at 13.2gr. compressed and max is 14.5 compressed.

Just for reference, it also shows IMR 4227 being compressed with a minimum of 14.1 (compressed) and a maximum of 16.0 (also compressed). That might give you an idea if the Lee manual is correct with the compressed charges.

Jolt

May 5, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thanks blindnoodle for digging up that info. I believe the Lee book is correct. I always used 14.0 grains of the 4227 which is right where the load starts to compress. Using the N110 is definitely a compressed load.
    As to part of my original question, at least 1.9 grains get compressed based on the IMR data.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It matters how you fill the case also. If you fill it with a long drop tube and tapping the case, the grains will settle in tighter and there is less compression.

Or if the charge is small enough, put the powder in the case, then tap the case to settle the powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom