• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR Transplant

Oct 22, 2019
    SOMD
    Hello all,

Just trying to figure out how much defensive ammo vs ball ammo people have? Overpenetration is always a big concern. How many of my 10 round MD compliant mags should I load with soft points?

Thanks.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Hello all,

Just trying to figure out how much defensive ammo vs ball ammo people have? Overpenetration is always a big concern. How many of my 10 round MD compliant mags should I load with soft points?

Thanks.

I like to have at least 1k on hand and a 1:10 ratio of JHP to FMJ.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    HUH? I'm guessing you are speaking .223 or the like if you are that worried about over penetration.

Honestly if you have 2-3 mags loaded with "defensive" ammo and cycle it out once a year you will be far ahead of the game.

I wouldn't load any of my self defense magazines with an inferior ammo at all.

The odds of you needing the firearm at all is small. The odd of you firing through one entire magazine is even smaller. The odds of you going through 2-5 magazines is even smaller.

Don't over think life.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    So that translates to 9 ten round magazines with JHP for every three standard capacity magazines with FMJ--- or a combat mix of 3 JHP/27 FMJ in a standard capacity mag... Hmmm :gun2::gun2:

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    HUH? I'm guessing you are speaking .223 or the like if you are that worried about over penetration.

Honestly if you have 2-3 mags loaded with "defensive" ammo and cycle it out once a year you will be far ahead of the game.

I wouldn't load any of my self defense magazines with an inferior ammo at all.

The odds of you needing the firearm at all is small. The odd of you firing through one entire magazine is even smaller. The odds of you going through 2-5 magazines is even smaller.

Don't over think life.

"Don't over think life" should be in your auto-sig. Heck, I may put in mine. Nicely done.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You should load zero rounds in 10 rnd md compliant magazines. The obvious answer is to just use 40 rnd mags.

Attachments

• 20200301_203621.jpg
      20200301_203621.jpg
      118.8 KB · Views: 921

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    You should load zero rounds in 10 rnd md compliant magazines. The obvious answer is to just use 40 rnd mags.

40 round mags are nice when you need low capacity. I prefer standard capacity 100rd mags.

Attachments

• 4F9C1FD2-1A32-426F-91B8-8275984128B6.jpg
      4F9C1FD2-1A32-426F-91B8-8275984128B6.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 438

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, i don't use soft points. Hornady Critical Duty / Critical Defense (yes even in 223) or Federal HST is the way to go.

"how many mags" is a personal question.... are you expecting a home invasion by 6 yutes? Well, you get a mag, you get a mag, you get a mag, everybody gets a mag! So 6 mags. But I find my belt fed AS-007 to be the right tool in this case.

I guess you better stock up on cleaning supplies too. Cleaning up after is a biatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom