How many mags should a recreational shooter stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Loading magazines at your house and then taking them to the range to save 120 seconds is a really bad idea.

The police frown on such things. A lot of ranges frown on such things to.

I was told you can't even have rounds inserted in the elastic cartridge carriers that slip over a buttstock.

Be careful.

Just my .02

I don't believe there is any law in MD that states you can't drive to a range with loaded mags. I think the only requirement is they can't be inserted in the gun.

I could be wrong though. Maybe a LEO who knows the law could chime in.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't believe there is any law in MD that states you can't drive to a range with loaded mags. I think the only requirement is they can't be inserted in the gun.

I could be wrong though. Maybe a LEO who knows the law could chime in.

Loading magazines at your house and then taking them to the range to save 120 seconds is a really bad idea.

I was told you can't even have rounds inserted in the elastic cartridge carriers that slip over a buttstock.

Be careful.

Just my .02

There is a MD AG opinion to the effect that loaded mags not in a gun are legal in MD ... stop making stuff up

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yeah, and here it is. Stop with the BS please

There is an old saying that goes

"keep your mouth closed and let people think you a uninformed person than open it and remove all doubt."

Some folks here should try to take the advice IMO.

Attachments

• MD AG Opinion Loaded mags.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 142

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    4 Range mags and 3 Home Defense Mags. For my primary handgun, M&P 9mm. Your range mags will get dinged, dented, and dirty from dropped them on the deck. Test your HD mags but dont abuse them. Label your mags. I do R1-4 and H1-3. This way you are able to figure out a problem child if your gun starts to jam.

Same thing can be applied to your rifle mags as well.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There is a MD AG opinion to the effect that loaded mags not in a gun are legal in MD ... stop making stuff up

Not making stuff up. Simply relaying what a person who works at an indoor range told me. It was regarding the number of steps it takes to have a servicable firearm.

Personally, I'm not running around town with magazines full of ammunition.

Please feel free to do what you wish. Have a pleasant MDS day.

P.S. I just read that report so I'll stand corrected, but do you think the Baltimore County Police have read that. It even said it was not the official opinion of the AG.

Not trying to start a fight.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not making stuff up. Simply relaying what a person who works at an indoor range told me. It was regarding the number of steps it takes to have a servicable firearm.

P.S. I just read that report so I'll stand corrected, but do you think the Baltimore County Police have read that. It even said it was not the official opinion of the AG.

Not busting balls, but the very last place to get correct info on firearms law is probably a gun shop/range in my experience.

I'll trust the AG opinion on this. If not official, it certainly shows the AG's intent on possible prosecution, which in light of this,. seems low.I always go to the range with my mags loaded (except those that want to inspect ammo first)

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Depends. For my Hi Power I only have one so far. About 7 1911 mags, 20+ AR mags, 7+ AK mags. Obscure shit like my enfield I only have one.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011

I'm sure you were told this by an indoor range. Every one I've ever been too bitched at me for bringing in loaded mags. I don't even try telling them they're wrong because in their eyes, they think everything they say is right.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013

Be careful.

Just my .02

There is an official letter from AG Brown stating it is ok to have loaded magazines during transport as long as they are separated etc.

Jmarko

Apr 8, 2013
    I have four for my handgun right now, and want to get a couple more before I can't buy them in MD anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom