• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAJay

Mar 8, 2011
    The Dena
    I've been reading a lot of historical posts in this section, and I couldn't find the answer to the following question.

When referring to shotgun ammo, people comment they are going to buy a flat of ammo; How many boxes (cartidges) are in a flat?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Just a little not too ancient history.... A case used to be 20 boxes or 500 shells. In a marketing move when most people reloaded, but shot new shells at registered trap shoots, it was easier for shell manufacturers to sell half cases, which were dubbed a "flat" because the box for a half case was kinda "flat" compared to the size of a whole case. A flat would give you a couple of practice rounds and enough new shells to shoot the 16 yard event and the handicap event (100 targets each) at most shoots. Most guys scraped up enough money to buy a "flat" at given registeted shoots, but balked at a case due to cost. It was a paycheck to paycheck sport at that time, so a lot of guys bought shells "as needed". It was relatively unheard of for a shooter to buy in real bulk as many do today.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Just a little not too ancient history.... A case used to be 20 boxes or 500 shells. In a marketing move when most people reloaded, but shot new shells at registered trap shoots, it was easier for shell manufacturers to sell half cases, which were dubbed a "flat" because the box for a half case was kinda "flat" compared to the size of a whole case. A flat would give you a couple of practice rounds and enough new shells to shoot the 16 yard event and the handicap event (100 targets each) at most shoots. Most guys scraped up enough money to buy a "flat" at given registeted shoots, but balked at a case due to cost. It was a paycheck to paycheck sport at that time, so a lot of guys bought shells "as needed". It was relatively unheard of for a shooter to buy in real bulk as many do today.

When did those paycheck to paycheck guys find the cash to start shooting big $$$ shotguns?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    When did those paycheck to paycheck guys find the cash to start shooting big $$$ shotguns?

Do you mean those shotguns that are 1/3 the price of someone's new boat, truck or similar toy? Most of those guys inched their way up that ladder after shooting for years. Many shot/shoot less expensive guns and many of those guns you think are so pricey are 20 years old or more.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    You mean the boat or truck that they finance for 8 years? ;)

Yeah, some toys are financed and some are not. Some guns are financed and some are not. Let's not make this some sort of class envy thing- that is counterproductive. This was the description of and origin of a flat.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    And those 20 yr old K-80's are STILL $6k dollar pieces. I bet the average price at any given shoot is still right around $3k.

So what. What difference does it make to you how much someone else spends on a gun, how much or which guns that you don't own are holding their values, or what the average value of a gun seen at a trap shoot is?
    Envy has been the ruin of many a man.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    So what. What difference does it make to you how much someone else spends on a gun, how much or which guns that you don't own are holding their values, or what the average value of a gun seen at a trap shoot is?
    Envy has been the ruin of many a man.

Just a simple response to your comment about "many of those guns you think are so pricey....." .

My point was, they are STILL pricey, no matter the age. I'm not envious, I aspire to own nice things, and congratulate those who already have them. There is a difference. Some people are content with the bare minimum and mediocrity and never end up with nice things in life.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Yeah, some toys are financed and some are not. Some guns are financed and some are not. Let's not make this some sort of class envy thing- that is counterproductive. This was the description of and origin of a flat.

Wow, we hit a nerve there didn't we??

Not a class envy thing, just an observation about one comment you made and my response. Your money it seems goes to shotguns, mine has gone to handguns and rifles, along with a Remington 870 meant for home defense.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Wow, we hit a nerve there didn't we??

Not a class envy thing, just an observation about one comment you made and my response. Your money it seems goes to shotguns, mine has gone to handguns and rifles, along with a Remington 870 meant for home defense.

Nah, no nerve struck. I guess I get a little over the edge at times when I hear what I believe to be a negative comment about those who own pricey guns. I guess others see it too in other disiplines.

I used to shoot Trap with a guy who got on my case because I shot a Perazzi at the time. He shot an 870 and complained about money spent on guns, etc etc. We left the shoot one day and I put my gun in my 5 year old Toyota while he put his in his new Lincoln. It's all about priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom