How many illegally owned that THEY KNOW about?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAMUE

Aug 31, 2012
    Pasadena
    I saw a number of articles like the one linked below and it got me thinking. In the article they discuss the fact that there are 20,000 individuals who possess guns in California that the government KNOWS are not supposed to have them. These are people who purchased the guns legally when they were not prohibited from ownership but then were convicted of crimes, had orders of protection filed against them, etc. However, the state does not have the resources to go and collect the firearms. So, in California, they are trying to pass more restrictive laws when they won't even go after the 20,000 THEY KNOW are illegally possessed.

There must be a similar situation here. We are a smaller state but there still must be a few thousand people that would fall under the above circumstances. My question is how can we get those numbers? I think it would help our argument against more restrictions placed on us law abiding citizens. If we could show statistics like the following:

• Number of people KNOWN to currently possess firearms illegally.
    • Number of plea bargains prosecutors made with violent criminals using guns
    • Number of mental health records Maryland has not submitted to NICS

Anyone have any idea how we can gain access to this data?

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Guns-illegally-owned-by-20-000-in-state-4234266.php

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Don't have an answer to your question, but doubt it would do any good. Hard facts to liberal anti-gunners don't work. Even Joe Biden admitted to a national audience that the Fed gov't doesn't have the time, money or resources to make sure that current individuals don't lie on the federal forms to purchase a firearm, but yet still wants to pass more laws requiring resources to enforce......:sad20:

DAMUE

Aug 31, 2012
    Pasadena
    Don't have an answer to your question, but doubt it would do any good. Hard facts to liberal anti-gunners don't work. Even Joe Biden admitted to a national audience that the Fed gov't doesn't have the time, money or resources to make sure that current individuals don't lie on the federal forms to purchase a firearm, but yet still wants to pass more laws requiring resources to enforce......:sad20:

I agree that there are some who have made up their minds and facts will make no difference. However, I think there are some people who are on the fence and powerful, well thought out statistics may edge them to our side. I think documented irrefutable facts are the best option we have to counter the other sides flawed, emotional "facts".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom