How Many Can Get? Strategy to buy as many regulated firearms between now and Oct. 1st

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    I am sure many of us are in the same boat...We are trying to purchase as much as we can before the ban goes in effect. My hope is to clarify how we can have the most buying power regardless of what we purchase.

Questions

1. Is the law stating that we can buy 1 per month (31 Days) regardless of the wait for approval?
    2. The MSP backlog referr's too the length of time it takes to grant a "not disaproved decision" and subsequently the release of the firearm to the owner by the FFL.
    3. Designated Collector Status: what are the benefits? Will this help?
    4. If you are not a designated collector, The maximum quantity you could purchase is six (6).

My hope is to educate the people who are unfortunately like myself are waking up a little too late and are now under pressure to obtain firearms.

Hopefully this may warrant being a temporary sticky.

Thanks!

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    1. You have to wait 31 days AFTER you get approved and pick up a firearm before applying for a second one
    2. What's the question?
    3. You can have more than one application out for a firearm at a time, theoretically no limit.
    4. If you're not a collector, the max you will be able to buy yourself is more realistically around 2.

You have to buy one, wait the wait period (currently around 50 days and rising), get gun, wait 31 days, then apply for second and wait the whole waiting period again (which will be even higher than the current 50 days for sure).

realjoecool

MDS Supporter
    Aug 6, 2012
    So my questions are...
    I have not "received" a regulated firearm in the last thirty days, but have one application (for a G21) in the submitted 2/17.
    Can I submit a second application for another firearm today and answer the question "No" to not having received a regulated firearm in the last thirty days since my first application is not back yet?
    Do I have to wait for the 1st to come back before filling the second?
    I have no problem having the piece stay at the FFL and picking it up 30 days after the first, but I don't want any legal problems, and as the previously posted the wait time renders anyone without the designated collector status to only about two regulated firearms before october 1st.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    1. You have to wait 31 days AFTER you get approved and pick up a firearm before applying for a second one
    2. What's the question?
    3. You can have more than one application out for a firearm at a time, theoretically no limit.
    4. If you're not a collector, the max you will be able to buy yourself is more realistically around 2.

You have to buy one, wait the wait period (currently around 50 days and rising), get gun, wait 31 days, then apply for second and wait the whole waiting period again (which will be even higher than the current 50 days for sure).

The current delay is making it kinda moot, but...

Point 1 is not quite accurate (but you touch on it in point 3)...

You COULD, in theory, buy a gun every day... without the DC Status you would have to wait 30 days between taking possession of each one, though. OR, buy two at once, then wait 60 to take possession of any subsequent purchase.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    2. What's the question?

MSP has said otherwise. It's 31 days after you get approved but you can have more than one app in at a time.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    You wont get approved before 31 days so im assuming you can turn around and re submit anthor app while they first is having a background check done

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    I believe you have to have a PO in place with a vendor before 10/1 but can take delivery after 10/1. Is that limited to receipt of one weapon after 10/1?

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    The current delay is making it kinda moot, but...

Point 1 is not quite accurate (but you touch on it in point 3)...

You COULD, in theory, buy a gun every day... without the DC Status you would have to wait 30 days between taking possession of each one, though. OR, buy two at once, then wait 60 to take possession of any subsequent purchase.

I think this is where some clarification is needed...Taking possession vs purchasing.

In the case I buy (pay for) 7 guns now. Can an FFL hold those guns and keep submitting paper work until all the guns can be released.

Under the new law as I understand it they are some conditions for regulated firearms to be released after Oct. 1st
    1. Purchase order before Oct. 1st.
    2. FFL has it in their possession

Does this indicate that if they are purchases & in the FFL's Possesion they can submit paperwork even after Oct. !st?

Some of the responses mention "theoretically" you can have many applications out. How is this possible?

It sounds like the plan of action would be to get DC license. If that is the case how many could be purchased then?

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    You are unlimited with designated collector status.

Does this mean the 31 day waiting period does not apply?

Does the 7 day wait still apply?

Can you buy as many regulated firearms as you want at any time or that you can buy as much as you want at ONE time?

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.04.htm

.04 Multiple Purchase of Regulated Firearms.

A. Except as provided in Public Safety Article, §§5-128—5-129, Annotated Code of Maryland, and this regulation, a person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period.

B. This regulation does not apply to:

(1) A law enforcement agency;

(2) An agency authorized to perform law enforcement duties;

(3) State or local correctional facilities;

(4) A private security company licensed to do business within the State;

(5) The purchase of an antique firearm as defined in Criminal Law Article, §4-201, Annotated Code of Maryland;

(6) Purchases by a dealer;

(7) The exchange or replacement of a regulated firearm by a seller for a regulated firearm purchased from the seller by the same person seeking the exchange or replacement within the 30-day period immediately preceding the date of exchange or replacement; or

(8) A person whose regulated firearm is stolen or irretrievably lost and who considers it essential that the regulated firearm be replaced immediately, if:

(a) The person provides the dealer with a copy of the official police report or an official summary of the report, a copy of which shall be attached to the application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm,

(b) The official police report or official summary of the report contains the name and address of the regulated firearm owner, a description of the regulated firearm, the location of the loss or theft, the date of the loss or theft, and the date on which the loss or theft was reported to the law enforcement agency, and

(c) The date of the loss or theft as reflected on the official police report or official summary of the report occurred within 30 days of the person's attempt to replace the regulated firearm.

C. A person may apply for a multiple purchase of regulated firearms and, upon approval by the Secretary, may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period under the following circumstances:

(1) The purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or is a collector series;

(2) The purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;

(3) The purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase for the purpose of taking advantage of a dealer's discounted price available only for a multiple purchase, except that the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm during the following 30-day period unless approved for a multiple purchase under §C(1) and (2) of this regulation; or

(4) Other similar purposes.

D. For the purpose of this regulation, a collector is an individual who:

(1) Devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection and does not act as a firearm dealer; or

(2) Possesses a Federal Collector's License (Curio and Relics).

E. The Secretary shall adopt an application form to be used by an individual who desires to be designated as a collector. The application shall contain:

(1) The applicant's:

(a) Full name;

(b) Address;

(c) Driver's license or photographic identification soundex number;

(d) Social Security number;

(e) Date and place of birth;

(f) Height;

(g) Weight;

(h) Race;

(i) Sex;

(j) Eye color;

(k) Hair color;

(l) Occupation; and

(m) Home and work telephone numbers; and

(2) The nature of the applicant's collecting activities.

F. The applicant shall sign the application and certify under penalty of perjury that the information in the application is true and correct.

G. Incomplete or illegible applications shall be disapproved.

H. An individual who desires to be designated as a collector shall have the application notarized and submit the application by first class mail to the Secretary requesting this designation.

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

K. If the individual is denied a request to be a collector or has had the collector designation revoked, the individual may request a review of the decision in writing or request a hearing before the Commander of the Licensing Division, Supervisor of the Firearms Registration Section, or the denying officer within 30 days of the notification of denial or revocation.

L. The individual shall be granted a review of the denial to be designated a collector within 30 days of the individual's request for review.

M. An individual must be designated as a collector by the Secretary before applying to purchase multiple regulated firearms as a collector.

N. The Secretary shall revoke without prejudice an individual's designated collector's status by written notification forwarded to the individual in person or by mail to the individual's last known address if the individual is:

(1) Under indictment for a crime of violence; or

(2) Arrested for any violation that would prohibit the purchase or possession of a regulated firearm.

My personal simplified Interpretation:

1. Anyone can apply for a Designated Collector License.
    2. If you are eligible to buy a Regulated firearm and are using it for your own personal purposes/Estate Sale within the law (not for resale) you should be able to be approved for a designated collectors license.
    3. With respect to regulated firearm purchases, you can buy any amount as long as no more than 2 are for a discounted dealer purchase. C(3)

One interesting point to note is that in Section J. If the individual is designated by the secretary to be a collector, The Secretary SHALL notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the request. This begs to ask the question if the delivery to the MSP Barracks means that it has been "received" by the secretary or if it is when it comes across his desk after a background check.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Correct...purchase as many at once as your wallet can afford.

Yes. Still must wait 7 (I mean 70 days)

Can you buy as many regulated firearms as you want at any time or that you can buy as much as you want at ONE time?

You can buy 1 or 10 or 50 each day. Collector just eliminates the 30 day wait.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    It takes a while to get the designated collector (DC) status letter. Seems to me it was a couple months or more and that was before MSP got inundated.

I have recently puchased AR lowers 5 at-a-time (for discount) to use for 'builds.'

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    Correct...purchase as many at once as your wallet can afford.

Yes. Still must wait 7 (I mean 70 days)

You can buy 1 or 10 or 50 each day. Collector just eliminates the 30 day wait.

My current understanding and possible plan:

Two regulated fire arms can be purchased now (By a non Designated collector) only if the individual is taking advantage of a dealer "discount". (Ask your FFL) However as stipulated, the individual will have to wait minimum 60 days to purchase another fire arm. (What is still unclear to me is the "two at a time" is if the applications are sent in by the FFL simultaneously and "NOT DISSAPROVED" simultaneously or if they are submitted sequentially i.e. Submit the first one, wait 60 days to get approval, wait another 30 days to submit the paperwork then wait another 60 days for approval. This is a good question for an FFL...)

Given that the DC designation takes approximately the same amount of time (60 days ish) it would be in the individuals best interest to submit paperwork for DC as soon as possible to take full advantage of the benefits. After the release of the two initial firearms to their rightful owners, the individual is free to purchase in quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom