• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    This seems to be a conundrum, I would suspect how the polymers are combined with other materials/chemicals such as glass and glass doesn't deteriorate, UV is a none issue because it's either in a holster, safe, Armory, Gun Case, under pillow, mattress, couch etc... unless you keep it on the roof of your house everyday or wear it as a hat??? I don't see any indication that UV exposure would effect the polymer material. You don't have the slides acutally seeing allot of wear when there is mostly steel/metal inserts always noted in the condstruction to note it as a sales pitch. Can't compare to the automotive plastics because there designed for impact absorbsion. I really don't think it's a real issue as long as you take care of it...

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    This seems to be a conundrum, I would suspect how the polymers are combined with other materials/chemicals such as glass and glass doesn't deteriorate, UV is a none issue because it's either in a holster, safe, Armory, Gun Case, under pillow, mattress, couch etc... unless you keep it on the roof of your house everyday or wear it as a hat??? I don't see any indication that UV exposure would effect the polymer material. You don't have the slides acutally seeing allot of wear when there is mostly steel/metal inserts always noted in the condstruction to note it as a sales pitch. Can't compare to the automotive plastics because there designed for impact absorbsion. I really don't think it's a real issue as long as you take care of it...

Many police traded in's probably saw extended sunlight since they were open carried and most of the polymer parts stick out of the holster.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah, but aren't they mostly sittin in there cruisers or in Donut Shops?

we must conduct a study on whether grape jelly and powdered sugar accelerate polymer degradation. I guess we should also toss in coffee to the study. If power-rings have a negative impact on firearm performance, we must find out.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Are there any estimates out there for how long polymer frame handguns can survive? I love polymer frame guns, but will they keep trucking 100+ years later like a steel 1911? I am not referring to damage from use, more long term degradation of the plastic itself. Even though I am young, I am starting to consider the importance of being able to pass down firearms that future generations might not be able to buy.

As long as you keep it out of the sun and hot environments it should last as long as you want.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Five billion years from now, long, long after the Sun has blown up, alien explorers will find nothing in this sector of the galaxy except a cloud of rubble interspersed with millions of Glocks, all in perfect working order.

Attachments

• Asteroid_field_SWCCG.jpg
      Asteroid_field_SWCCG.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 280

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Five billion years from now, long, long after the Sun has blown up, alien explorers will find nothing in this sector of the galaxy except a cloud of rubble interspersed with millions of Glocks, all in perfect working order.

:lol::lol::lol2: haha that got me laughing pretty well.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I think we'll be long dead before anyone finds out how long a Glock frame lasts before naturally deteriorating.

This is one of the funniest posts ever on Shooters; keep it up guys. It's 0252 hours and I needed a good laugh.

Lew--Ranger63

PS: For me if the damned thing lasts another ten years, that's good enough. I project that I'll be checking out of the net (life) bout that time, so who in the hell cares.

Cheers.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

Hahaha

I think when the Sun turns into a red giant those are going to get smoked.

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    Am I the only one who has noticed that when major archeological discoveries are made, the only man made objects found are made of metal, wood, fabric, paper, glass, and maybe a few I can't think of.

Notice whats missing? Plastic!

I find it hard to believe that our current civilization it the only one to have invented plastic and polymers. As civilizations have been destroyed by whatever means, only the most durable items survived. The secret of formulating polymers was probably lost in the decay of these ancient civilizations. Many were located in arid climates, yet no evidence of any plastics remain.

I'm making a note to myself right now to order wood grips for my handguns. Thanks to the group for helping me realize the weak link in my arsenal.

Bob

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Am I the only one who has noticed that when major archeological discoveries are made, the only man made objects found are made of metal, wood, fabric, paper, glass, and maybe a few I can't think of.

I find it hard to believe that our current civilization it the only one to have invented plastic and polymers. As civilizations have been destroyed by whatever means, only the most durable items survived. The secret of formulating polymers was probably lost in the decay of these ancient civilizations. Many were located in arid climates, yet no evidence of any plastics remain.

I'm making a note to myself right now to order wood grips for my handguns. Thanks to the group for helping me realize the weak link in my arsenal.

Bob
    I heard the Mayans and Aztecs first made 3D Printed bows.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you get wood grips, you'll just have to lie awake nights worrying about termites.
    Stone is very durable. Maybe a nice set of slate grips on a 1911 made of schist or basalt.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV

Bob

Texas Tea, Black Gold is used to make Plastic you know Beverly Hilbillies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom