• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    I’ve completed my ccw classes, got approved for HGP within 3 weeks.

I just submitted HQL application. How long will that take? I thought someone mentioned within a day if my HGP is approved.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Mine took two weeks once I submitted the required paperwork. Designated Collector took three weeks.
    I submitted all the paperwork for HGP but there are no paper work required for hql so I was wondering if it will take as long? I thought they did the background check already during HGP.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Earlier in the year when my wife got her Wear & Carry approved, she used per new permit number to submit for an HQL, and got it wrapped up in just over 24 hours. And that was during the big post-Bruen rush. Don't know if it's still that quick, but hers was - by MDSP standards - virtually instantaneous.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I refused the Maryland Infringement Papers (HQL) until I found out recently that all I needed to do to get the HQL was send in the information of a previously registered firearm. The last one I acquired was before October 1st 2013. Now that there is hope for carry I decided to get something small in case I want to get the permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think a bunch of original HQL’s are expiring now. I think perhaps all those renewals have slowed down the new apps

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    3 days later still not approved

As swinkor stated above, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slow-down in issuing new HQLs. My permit number from 10 years ago, expiring next month is close to number 1000.

I have no idea how many HQLs they issued during that first go around but they are likely working through a good size renewal pile that will only get larger as the Oct expiration dates get closer...

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    i don't understand the logic in this. I already receive my "carry permit" which means I am legally allow to carry in Maryland now and Virginia. However MSP still have to process and approve my HQL. So I can carry, but I cannot buy a pistol yet.
    Shouldn't this process be flip? or shouldn't I be approved to buy a pistol BEFORE I can be approved to carry?

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    whats the point of Carry Permit if someone gets rejected for HQL? seems like if someone's approved for carry permit then HQL should automatically approved

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    whats the point of Carry Permit if someone gets rejected for HQL? seems like if someone's approved for carry permit then HQL should automatically approved
    Welcome to MD, where none of the laws make sense.

If MD gives you a carry permit you will get a HQL, if you apply for it.

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    i don't understand the logic in this. I already receive my "carry permit" which means I am legally allow to carry in Maryland now and Virginia. However MSP still have to process and approve my HQL. So I can carry, but I cannot buy a pistol yet.
    Shouldn't this process be flip? or shouldn't I be approved to buy a pistol BEFORE I can be approved to carry?
    I would not over analyze anything nor try to deduce logic. Is what it is...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Maryland is not about making sense or fair play. Maryland is all about putting up roadblocks and obstacles for us while at the same time coddling violent criminals.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

The probability of someone being rejected for HQL after having W&C is essentially absolutely zero ( absense a conviction , or new found sustenance addiction in the interviening time period ) .

The reverse scenario is low , but greater than zero .

The real bottom line , the HQL itself is entirely pointless . The 17 databases consulted for issueing a HQL are exactly the same for each and every 77R purchase . It only adds fingerprinting , expenses , and hassles for harassment and to discourage gun ownership .

That's why MSI has a long running lawsuit against it .

Join MSI . Donate to MSI Lawsuit Fund . Or ideally both .

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    The probability of someone being rejected for HQL after having W&C is essentially absolutely zero ( absense a conviction , or new found sustenance addiction in the interviening time period ) .

The reverse scenario is low , but greater than zero .

The real bottom line , the HQL itself is entirely pointless . The 17 databases consulted for issueing a HQL are exactly the same for each and every 77R purchase . It only adds fingerprinting , expenses , and hassles for harassment and to discourage gun ownership .

That's why MSI has a long running lawsuit against it .

Join MSI . Donate to MSI Lawsuit Fund . Or ideally both .
    The requirement for W&C and HQL is the same only WC allow you to carry. I would think WC will have additional requirements because not only you're owning a gun but you're also carrying outside.
    both have background checks conducted by Maryland State Police. Therefore it only make sense if I have WC already, HQL and 77r should be automatically approved.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Therefore it only make sense if I have WC already...
    If you already have the W&C, you won't have any trouble getting the HQL, and it comes at no extra cost and you don't need separate finger prints.

But you can't get a handgun TRANSFERRED (say, from an FFL) to you without an HQL. So, just apply and you'll get one. The 77R and its per-transfer paperwork and seven day wait, will still occur regardless.

If you have the W&C and aren't otherwise prohibited from being in possession, you can always borrow a gun from somebody, no HQL required. But until the pending litigation kills the HQL, just go ahead and get one. Free.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The requirement for W&C and HQL is the same only WC allow you to carry. I would think WC will have additional requirements because not only you're owning a gun but you're also carrying outside.
    both have background checks conducted by Maryland State Police. Therefore it only make sense if I have WC already, HQL and 77r should be automatically approved.
    Your brain has been poisoned by living in this ******** state.
    My thoughts always have been the HQL should have allowed us to carry since the requirements for that are worse than permit requirements for the vast majority of states.

Your last sentence I 100% agree with

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Take some advice from David Byrne - Stop Making Sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom