• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Sighting in a new muzzleloader today at a friend's place in Delaware.

TC Impact
    Nikon 3-9X40 BDC 300
    Triple Se7en Pellets
    250 Grain Shockwave Sabots

This is my first experience with a modern inline, and it was a blast :)

Got it well sighted at 50 yards, but want to get out again in next couple weeks with a longer range. Also, I need a better solution for a ramrod. When cleaning between rounds, it was a bear to pull out the ramrod. Will start looking for a good one with a T handle of some sort.

IMG_1649.jpg

Happy Columbus Day!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm glad you had fun.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "modern inline" mean?
    Black powder rifle... The ignition is mostly using 209 primer which the flash holes directly behind the barrel.

Old black powder some primer flash holes are on the side.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Sighting in a new muzzleloader today at a friend's place in Delaware.

TC Impact
    Nikon 3-9X40 BDC 300
    Triple Se7en Pellets
    250 Grain Shockwave Sabots

This is my first experience with a modern inline, and it was a blast :)

Got it well sighted at 50 yards, but want to get out again in next couple weeks with a longer range. Also, I need a better solution for a ramrod. When cleaning between rounds, it was a bear to pull out the ramrod. Will start looking for a good one with a T handle of some sort.

View attachment 161394

Happy Columbus Day!

I shoot the same thing through my Encore. I keep mine 1'' high @ 100yds. with three pellets, not much difference @ 50yds. It shoots 1'' groups. T/C makes a t-handled ramrod. I keep mine on my rifle. Just be careful you don't shoot it off.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I shoot the same thing through my Encore. I keep mine 1'' high @ 100yds. with three pellets, not much difference @ 50yds. It shoots 1'' groups. T/C makes a t-handled ramrod. I keep mine on my rifle. Just be careful you don't shoot it off.

Thank you. Will check it out.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'm glad you had fun.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "modern inline" mean?

It's a term to differentiate muzzleloaders by ignition type for the 3 types of muzzleloaders in common use today. From older to newer technology, to include advances in the actual mechanics of ignition as well as practical reliability gains amongst other things, you'll see either flintlock, side lock percussion, or inline percussion type muzzleloading rifles. Generally, modern inline muzzleloaders, while still classified as muzzleloaders as they are being loaded from the muzzle rather than the breech, have many of the reliability and accuracy characteristics of modern centerfire rifles.

Terms like "flash in the pan" had their roots in the flintlock ignition system, where the very fine priming powder placed in the pan would sometimes ignite without igniting the main charge of coarser powder in the barrel. Thus, the rifle sometimes would hang fire or fails to fire entirely. "Keep your powder dry" would come into play here as well. Side locks saw the advent of self contained percussion caps placed on a nipple angled toward the barrel and the main powder charge, and detonated by an exposed side lock hammer. This system kept the prior external hammer of the flintlock but eliminated the flintlock's flint and frizzen and pan priming ignition system in favor of a hammer initiating ignition not by flint and frizzen and showering sparks across priming powder in a pan, but rather by virtue of a hammer strike crushing and detonating a percussion cap. Inlines take the technology further still, eliminating the side hammer entirely, in favor of an internal hammer or striker, and as the name suggests they put that cap containing the priming charge directly "in line" with the main charge. Generally, each change over time came to represent greater efficiency and increased reliability.

Thoughts are very general but I hope they help.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not that they are necessarily the best, but two of my favorite things about my CVA wolf is that the ram rod comes with a nice rounded palm saver on the rod for it that fits on with it stowed. Also the easy start rifling makes it super easy to load. I've never tried regular sabots, but crush rib I can easily start in the barrel and shove it down. Put 48 rounds though it at the range once and nary an issue starting rounds down the barrel or with my palms. Also the breech plugs come out with a simple twist. No tools needed (even after 48 rounds). Not a huge fan of the recoil pad on it.

I have pinched the skin on the webbing of my thumb twice cleaning it with the plug out and my hand stupidly at the end of the barrel. Shoving a jag down the barrel hard is a good way to leave a blood blister.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I wish it had been shooting black powder or out in the mountains like Western MD, but...

How I spent my Columbus day....

Never ending home repairs, this time the basement/in-law apt. bathroom tile.

tile.jpg

City Rat

Aug 12, 2015
    MD
    Nice rifle. CVA Wolf here too. x2 on their ramrod which has a cut out for it to snug under the barrel when stowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom