How Far Inside Md Would You Travel For Training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you travel 60-90 minutes within the state for training?

• Yes!

Votes: 69 74.2%
    • Nah. Too much driving.

Votes: 24 25.8%

• Total voters

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Blaster did say in his first posts in here that he would be running diagnostics on each student to guage their level of proficiency and then work up from there. Some of the scenarios he laid out are not earth shattering spetznaz stuff... it's just giving direction for thinking through how students could address different positions and then giving them the opportunity to practice at their ability level with coaching along the way.

Back when I shot idpa somewhat frequently, these kinds of scenarios were commonplace and competitors of all skill levels ran them.... only without instruction to go with it. Stages where you start sitting down, facing towards the shot timer, kneeling, etc are frequently part of a day's shooting.

I don't see why diagnosing current ability level, working them up to build proficiency, and then applying their skills in a variety of situations while being coached is the end of the world. I think you're either underestimating blaster's ability to run a class or overestimating the risks present.
    I read it more as warm up and run and gun. Laying down really threw me off. Didn't see anything about diagnostics.

You have a very valid point about IDPA, but I would argue there is a difference. Most beginners at a competition have 3-4 coaches on every stage. Lot of eyeballs on them. No chance of getting complacent. Doing reps training on a range can be a different animal.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Haha, I think I got the size of ya now. I somehow mistook you for a young buck initially. My apologies. Not everyone here knows you and your history, and I'm bad with names anyhow.

I am a bit jaded about class descriptions, having taken beginner classes that weren't and vice versa.

I think you would do very well with such a class. I know not everyone is blessed to be able to take 6 weeks off to travel and train, and would like some exposure to these ideas. I still think a responsible person should rather spend their limited time mastering the basics, but I trust people to move at their own pace.

Why ask how far people will travel?? Looking for a marketing range?? Why bother, people will will be banging down your door. You could fill 6-8ppl a week easily, for 1 OR 2 days. You could be booked out for the next year within a few months. Who cares from where they come. People here have already attested to the quality of your training.
    Distance is where I might have a range opportunity, and that would be on the eastern shore for now.
    I've been meeting people individually for years now. I figure since I have another former co worker who has been dabbling with hql and WC courses on his own, we could step up the pace a little and start with the captive audience here for starters.

So knowing many would now drive a bit, then that helps the enthusiasm.
    I just want everyone to know everything. And I'd love to try to facilitate that. Because that's what I believe in.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Distance is where I might have a range opportunity, and that would be on the eastern shore for now.
    I've been meeting people individually for years now. I figure since I have another former co worker who has been dabbling with hql and WC courses on his own, we could step up the pace a little and start with the captive audience here for starters.

So knowing many would now drive a bit, then that helps the enthusiasm.
    I just want everyone to know everything. And I'd love to try to facilitate that. Because that's what I believe in.
    Right on!

Driving is a non-issue. Getting students should be easy if not automatic. IMO, you'll be booked solid in no time. Training space is always an issue. I may have a line on that in another month or so.

I know some trainers will make a deal where they can use a police training range, if they always leave one or two spots open for free officer training. Sheriffs seem more accomodating in that regard in my experience, but I'm sure you have better contacts than I in that world.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Lol. You'd be dead wrong. I've trained in very advanced classes, with navy seals, army rangers, and current world record holding marksmen. I had half of the field when the record was broken in one of my classes. Done seated, prone, supine, close contact, sides and rear draws, brokeback(navy seal guys term), in out and around vehicles, shoot houses, full auto, shotgun, and probably plenty more I can't think of.

Maybe you should stop making assumptions about people and take some criticism from someone who put his money where his mouth is and sought out advanced training like it was a full time job in the last year or so.
    So… you should be running a class competing with Blaster.

Go for it.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    So… you should be running a class competing with Blaster.

Go for it.
    I'm not good enough. Why you think I did so much training!

I've taught quite a few people to shoot, but for most of them, it was probably the only time they'll ever touch a firearm. So basically, a lot of info and safety, so you can fire a few rounds with me.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's past my bedtime. I'll leave y'all with this beautiful Virginia Beach moon.
    e352cecd0cf149cca68a63b44728205f.jpg

Awesome. Love it there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Right on!

Driving is a non-issue. Getting students should be easy if not automatic. IMO, you'll be booked solid in no time. Training space is always an issue. I may have a line on that in another month or so.

I know some trainers will make a deal where they can use a police training range, if they always leave one or two spots open for free officer training. Sheriffs seem more accomodating in that regard in my experience, but I'm sure you have better contacts than I in that world.
    I figured it would be a liability issue to use a police range. My friend is the Lt. In charge of the academy for AA county. But I've never wanted you ask him just because of that

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I figured it would be a liability issue to use a police range. My friend is the Lt. In charge of the academy for AA county. But I've never wanted you ask him just because of that
    I knew of one at a police range, but wasn't able to go. I did do one class on a Sheriffs training range in Georgia. They just put a sheriff in each class, and called it even. I have no idea how the liability would work.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Can't speak for all venues but any traveling instructors at one I'm intimately familiar with must carry their own liability coverage, with minimums, and sign the documents Risk sends indemnifying the facility as well as naming the facility as an interested party in the even of equipment or facility damage.

Most instructors I have met who are mostly or totally mobile carry large liability policies anyway. I don't ask the particulars but it's come up before and the limits tend to be 2-10mil.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Can't speak for all venues but any traveling instructors at one I'm intimately familiar with must carry their own liability coverage, with minimums, and sign the documents Risk sends indemnifying the facility as well as naming the facility as an interested party in the even of equipment or facility damage.

Most instructors I have met who are mostly or totally mobile carry large liability policies anyway. I don't ask the particulars but it's come up before and the limits tend to be 2-10mil.
    Yeah. We have that covered.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I knew of one at a police range, but wasn't able to go. I did do one class on a Sheriffs training range in Georgia. They just put a sheriff in each class, and called it even. I have no idea how the liability would work.
    I've attended several open enrollment courses at PD ranges. Rangemaster Handgun Instructor class was at the Xenia, OH, PD range. And I've done shoothouse CQB, Centrifuge Training's VCQB, and Defensive Elements' Force on Force at Alliance, OH, PD range. These were the exceptions to the rule and, perhaps not coincidentally, were all in Ohio, not here.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've attended several open enrollment courses at PD ranges. Rangemaster Handgun Instructor class was at the Xenia, OH, PD range. And I've done shoothouse CQB, Centrifuge Training's VCQB, and Defensive Elements' Force on Force at Alliance, OH, PD range. These were the exceptions to the rule and, perhaps not coincidentally, were all in Ohio, not here.
    TOC regularly uses a sheriff's dept range in WV. It's not impossible to get permission in the right jurisdictions out of state. The real problem is that the only state really close to the eastern shore is Delaware, and that's turned into a no-go due to their recent AWB even if you find a friendly sheriff.

As for the whole "what's safe for beginners?", that's a whole other discussion. At some point, you need to make a decision about what people you want in your courses, and advertise accordingly. My recent experience with W&C courses indicates to me that an open enrollment W&C course is going to require some substantial marksmanship fundamental work for a large majority of the participants before positional shooting makes a ton of sense. If someone can't hit what they're aiming at under no pressure from low ready, it's not going to get better if you make them do a table start or do it while moving.

All of that is to say, be prepared to offer a hierarchy of classes and be up-front about who should attend them. I would absolutely travel 90-120 minutes for a course that I felt was challenging and would teach me things I wanted to know. The problem is when you wind up with people in the class who have no business being there and slowing it down for everyone else.

Last edited:

Fire589

Jun 3, 2022
    LaPlata
    My brothers and I drove from PG County Maryland to Western PA above Pittsburgh for a 2-day shooting class. We made it a camping trip, drove out Friday, Sat/Sun class, and drove back Monday. Turning the class into a mini vacation was also a great idea.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My brothers and I drove from PG County Maryland to Western PA above Pittsburgh for a 2-day shooting class. We made it a camping trip, drove out Friday, Sat/Sun class, and drove back Monday. Turning the class into a mini vacation was also a great idea.
    That's always the best way.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I’m in for anywhere in MD. Most classes that I have seen have been outside of MD anyway so something in state would be great.

Dave4truth

Aug 18, 2022
    Catonsville
    Now that people are getting permits that will alleviate the BGOS regarding transport, how long would one go to train?
    For example,
    Something around 6-8 hours. Consisting of situational awareness, use of force, conceal carry techniques, then hit the range. The range can be basic shooting techniques leading into some light shoot move stuff, multiple targets, and some out of ordinary position shooting, say laying and shooting at a threat as if you were shooting from bed. Something better than just "Here's how you hold a pistol".

People don't have a lot of time for multiple classes dealing with 1 or 2 subjects. I can get something put together that can get the novice familiarized with a lot in a day. Maybe something couples can do together. The ultimate goal is to build a shooter's confidence in a relaxing atmosphere.
    We will have some advanced stuff, but initially we think we can do well with a hybrid type thing, especially after all these crappy W&C classes.
    No NRA or USCCA type outlines. Neither of us have NRA patches. Just our extensive career experience.

So that being said, it seems proper ranges to do this are definitely out of the Balt. area. Somewhere on the Eastern Shore an hour to 90 minutes from Balt. I am thinking.
    I am going to partner up with a former co worker and get the ball rolling if a venue works out. Well, even if it doesn't. We would also be available to travel within the state if someone has a facility. Just spit balling the idea.
    Are you accepting students for such?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom