• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msrw

Apr 3, 2019
    MD
    Have been trying to find this info—so far unsuccessfully. So thought I’d reach out the the folks here before contacting MSP.

MSP asks that renewal applications be submitted no later than 90 days before the date of expiration, right?

I recall when the law was changed a couple of years ago, MSP said that given the expected volume of applications, W&C holders could submit renewal applications as early as six months before the date of expiration.

Is “no earlier than six months, no later than 90 days” the correct time window for a renewal W&C application?

Many thanks!

M

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Never heard the 6 month rule. It is no more than 90 days before expiration. But also know that if you applied through the portal, you will get a email reminder around 90 days out too.

msrw

Apr 3, 2019
    MD
    Never heard the 6 month rule. It is no more than 90 days before expiration. But also know that if you applied through the portal, you will get a email reminder around 90 days out too.
    Thanks, Swinokur. The six months came from a press interview from someone at MSP if I’m remembering correctly, I haven’t seen that info published. I’m asking since I expect to be out of the state all summer and my W&C expires in early Sept.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks, Swinokur. The six months came from a press interview from someone at MSP if I’m remembering correctly, I haven’t seen that info published. I’m asking since I expect to be out of the state all summer and my W&C expires in early Sept.
    If you get your 8 hour renewal training finished you can apply from anywhere if you have internet access

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Have been trying to find this info—so far unsuccessfully. So thought I’d reach out the the folks here before contacting MSP.

Is “no earlier than six months, no later than 90 days” the correct time window for a renewal W&C application?
    Yes.

Pirate guidelines.

21fbh0.jpg

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Place a call to the MSP Licensing Division.
    Save an hour on hold- just email them.

Each section in the Licensing Division is available for inquires through e-mail.

Security Guard Section: msp.securityguard@maryland.gov

K-9 Registration: msp.securityguard@maryland.gov

Handgun Permit Section: msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov

LEOSA: msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov

Private Detective: msp.privatedetective@maryland.gov

Special Police and Railroad Police: msp.specialrailroadpolice@maryland.gov

Security Systems Unit: msp.securitysystems@maryland.gov

Firearms Registration (Firearm Purchases): msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov

Handgun Qualification License Unit: msp.hql@maryland.gov

Inspection and Compliance Unit: msp.inspectioncompliance@maryland.gov

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Somewhere I read no sooner than 120 days, however, I’m still looking so I can post a reference.

msrw

Apr 3, 2019
    MD
    Here’s what the Licensing Division at MSP has to say:

The earliest that one can submit a renewal application is 120 days before the expiration date. The portal won’t allow applications to be submitted that are earlier than 120 days before expiration.

MSP requests that renewal applications be submitted 90 days before the expiration date.

If applications are submitted a minimum of two weeks before the expiration date, the user can continue to use his/her expired W&C permit until the arrival of the new permit. However, if for any reason an application needs to be returned to the user for additions or revisions, if the final revised and accepted application has not been submitted a minimum of two weeks before the expiration date, the user can NOT continue to use the expired W&C permit until arrival of the new permit.

msrw

Apr 3, 2019
    MD
    Save an hour on hold- just email them.

Each section in the Licensing Division is available for inquires through e-mail.

Security Guard Section: msp.securityguard@maryland.gov

K-9 Registration: msp.securityguard@maryland.gov

Handgun Permit Section: msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov

LEOSA: msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov

Private Detective: msp.privatedetective@maryland.gov

Special Police and Railroad Police: msp.specialrailroadpolice@maryland.gov

Security Systems Unit: msp.securitysystems@maryland.gov

Firearms Registration (Firearm Purchases): msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov

Handgun Qualification License Unit: msp.hql@maryland.gov

Inspection and Compliance Unit: msp.inspectioncompliance@maryland.gov
    Thanks, BurkM. Exactly what I did. Email response came first thing this morning.

msrw

Apr 3, 2019
    MD
    Somewhere I read no sooner than 120 days, however, I’m still looking so I can post a reference.
    Here’s the reference:

MSP Handgun Permits -State Police- (sent by joseph.durkee@maryland.gov)​

Good morning,

A permit holder should submit a Renewal application 90 days prior to the expiration date. This allows us to process everyone's permit Renewal as expeditiously as possible. However, the Portal will not allowthe submission of an application more than 120 days prior to the current expiration date. The updated 8-hour Renewal training course required for each renewal application is recognized for up to two years from the date of completion. Thank you.

Sgt. J. Durkee
    Wear and Carry Supervisor

Handgun Permit Unit

Maryland Department of State Police
    Licensing Division
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Here’s the reference:

MSP Handgun Permits -State Police- (sent by joseph.durkee@maryland.gov)​

Good morning,

A permit holder should submit a Renewal application 90 days prior to the expiration date. This allows us to process everyone's permit Renewal as expeditiously as possible. However, the Portal will not allowthe submission of an application more than 120 days prior to the current expiration date. The updated 8-hour Renewal training course required for each renewal application is recognized for up to two years from the date of completion. Thank you.

Sgt. J. Durkee
    Wear and Carry Supervisor

Handgun Permit Unit
    Maryland Department of State Police
    Licensing Division
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov
    Thanks!

I did find that the portal will allow you to fill out the renewal application and upload your proof of training, you just can’t “submit” it until within 120 days. I have mine all done and waiting for my 120 day mark to click “submit”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom