How does the "one per month" regulated firearm restriction work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I tried searching on the forum for the answer, but couldn't find it after a quick search.

I know we're limited to one regulated purchase per month, but I also know that it's possible to buy two regulated firearms at once, and then have to wait two months before buying another. If I just bought a regulated firearm last weekend, do I have to wait a month before buying another, or can I buy another now and then wait two months? And would the two month wait be from the purchase of the first or the second within that one month?

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Oh, and given the crazy background check backlog, is the month wait from when you signed the initial paperwork to buy a regulated firearm, or from when you eventually received it (two months later?)?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Here's what current COMAR says:

.04 Multiple Purchase of Regulated Firearms.

COMAR excerpt:

C. A person may apply for a multiple purchase of regulated firearms and, upon approval by the Secretary, may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period under the following circumstances:
    (1) The purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or is a collector series;
    (2) The purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;
    (3) The purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase for the purpose of taking advantage of a dealer's discounted price available only for a multiple purchase, except that the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm during the following 30-day period unless approved for a multiple purchase under §C(1) and (2) of this regulation; or
    (4) Other similar purposes.

D. For the purpose of this regulation, a collector is an individual who:
    (1) Devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection and does not act as a firearm dealer; or
    (2) Possesses a Federal Collector's License (Curio and Relics).

So in other words, you have to purchase them under a dealer offer on the same day, buying from an estate sale or be a designated collector/C&R licensee.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I tried searching on the forum for the answer, but couldn't find it after a quick search.

I know we're limited to one regulated purchase per month, but I also know that it's possible to buy two regulated firearms at once, and then have to wait two months before buying another. If I just bought a regulated firearm last weekend, do I have to wait a month before buying another, or can I buy another now and then wait two months? And would the two month wait be from the purchase of the first or the second within that one month?

depending...

for you to take advantace of multiple sale.. it has to be at the same time.

you cant buy one then go different day and buy another one.. it has to be same day sale or an estate deal.

talk to your ffl if they can hold the item for you till you are cleared to purchase again.

30 day starts when the transaction is complete.. (ie. you signing the release of the regulated firearm..the day you pick it up).

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Oh, and given the crazy background check backlog, is the month wait from when you signed the initial paperwork to buy a regulated firearm, or from when you eventually received it (two months later?)?

The official word is you can file 23 days after the pick up of the last purchase. That insures that in the event the 60 day wait miraculously returns to 7 overnight, you wouldn't pick up in less than 30 days. A lot of folks are doing different things... Talk to your FFL.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I do have a C&R license, but not the Maryland Designated Collector license. Does that mean I am exempted on the 30 day waiting period for all regulated firearms, or just for C&R regulated firearms?

As for the 30-day wait starting when the transaction is complete, that's really limiting given how long the wait is. I'm currently in a long waiting period that was initiated this weekend. Should I just go buy as many more as I want, so long as the FFL is okay with holding them as they arrive so long as I don't pick up more than one per month?

This one-a-month thing is infuriating when the waiting period exceeds that.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The C&R license has no standing within the state for regulated firearms, you need to jump through the Maryland hoops. You can buy as many C&R handguns from out of state as you can afford:thumbsup:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Only the 1000 time this has been asked this month.

This month? LOL! Since the wait time for pickup (> 1 month) has exceeded the wait time between purchases (1 month), the whole thing is a mess and inquiries have been posted.

The state has effectively created a minimum of 3 months (and growing) between pickup situation (if you don't have a collector's license).

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena

Just apply for designated collector status, ( not a license) and you wont have to worry about the 30 day BS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom